ABBA Appreciation Thread!

Sia

Having parents who were teens in the 70's, I grew up listening to a lot of Disco (mostly because of my dad) so I've always had an affinity for Disco and funk infused music. Needless to say the recent wave of Disco inspired music has my loving pop music again, but I thought it'd be cool to spotlight a band, who in my opinion, was at the forefront of the pop music we hear today.

I'm talking about ABBA!

If you don't know who ABBA is then you definitely know their music. A broadway musical (later adapted into a film) named Mamma Mia! was based on their music. In 1999, an electro-pop teen group named the A*Teens were created in an effort to release an ABBA tribute album. Still don't know who they are? In 2006, Madonna released her smash hit "Hung Up" which samples one of ABBA's biggest hits, Gimme Gimme Gimme (A Man After Midnight).

ABBA's music was truly groundbreaking (especially for the time) and set the tone for today's pop music. Even the music videos for the time were considered to be truly original and the first time we saw a fusion of glam rock with Disco. Below are some of my favorite songs of theirs, but I'd love to hear your thoughts and some of your favorites!

abba.jpg.96a51c81588c97f14aeb723c742e07de.jpg

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

They are really cool and Dancing Queen is a timeless classic and defined a generation and one of the most memorable and popular songs from the disco era. I still want the ABBA:GOLD vinyl :anxiety_pill_struggle_panic_ahh_bottle_Wendy_williams_shake_shaking:

Yes! ABBA Gold is a great compilation! 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

I remember my first exposure to Abba was the A*Teens :orangu_orangutan_ape: I legit thought Dancing Queen & Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! were originals. Imagine how shook I was when I found out about Abba :spit_lmao_spitting_spraying_lol_hehe_haha_laugh_jlaw_jennifer_lawrence:

Hahaha! I remember hearing A*Teens and wondering why they sounded familiar. Oh, those were the days! 

I remember ABBA nostalgia with the Release of Gold, then in 1993 like some perfect timing All that she wants came out in the US. 

And it was Like a big Swedish pop heaven in the US. 

Though we're always reminded ABBA was bigger globally, But The comparisons group Ace of Base. Two females blond and brunette and two guys had more success in the States than ABBA. ABBA despite US success a #1 single and 9 top 40 singles and a sold out Gig at Madison square garden. Always consider the US market a flop. 

They are much more celebrated in the US. Thx to Mamma Mia! Being huge and the two movies, plus the Cher Album being so Huge, that a sequel album is having huge demand. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block