What makes you lose interest in an artist?

Mexwero

I was thinking about this question the other day, and I really want to hear from y’all. 

Now more than ever pop stars (especially women) have to reinvent themselves every era, and that comes with a risk. Presenting a new concept can be tricky, since no one can guarantee it will be fully embraced by the fans or GP. 

Most artists with long careers lose a big chunk of their fan base, and I really wanted to get your thoughts on why this happens on a personal level. Recent cases like Katy Perry, Charlie Puth and even Justin Bieber have been presented with a decline in popularity (some more than others). 

If you previously liked an artist, and they come out with new music that you didn’t enjoy, is that enough for you to drop them from your list of faves? Where do you draw the line? Maybe it has nothing to do with music, and you stop supporting them based on their personal life, or bad behavior/scandals?

ps: I’m not talking about the general GP or a fan base. I want to get individual opinions on why YOU stop supporting a certain artist, and what made you make that decision. Sound off! 🧐🧐

young-woman-wearing-headphones-listening-260nw-1475343035.jpg

Edited by Urbanney
🏅Featured! -Urbanney
  • Love 1

Nothing, honestly. I don't care for scandals or even their attitude. The music is all that really matters to me. I stan humble and unproblematic queens like Britney; self-aware egotistic queens like Rihanna, Beyoncé, and Taylor Swift; queens who are ahead of their time like Christina Aguilera; always disowning their previous album and restarting their career like Selena Gomez; and queens who take themselves too seriously like Gaga. :barbie_hair_flip_hairflip_weave_proud_cocky:

I guess once you've had me, i'm locked in for life. I'm ride or die like that. These queens all won my heart already that even if they eventually flop and start making bad music, i'll still continue supporting. :comingthru_britney_circus_2008_boobs_chest_smile_walking_hat_happy:

If you lose me, then you never had me at all. That's just it. :queenflopga_walk_sass_pink:

• Love 4
  • Like 1
  • Content Curators

I agree with what Roxxy said , once you have me I'm locked in. 

I didn't like Madonna's, Pink, Avril Lavigne, Katy Perry, or Christina Aguilera's last albums but that doesn't mean I've stopped caring I will still checkout whatever they put out next.

• Love 3

I wanna be there when you touch fire

1 hour ago, Roxxy said:

Nothing, honestly. I don't care for scandals or even their attitude. The music is all that really matters to me. I stan humble and unproblematic queens like Britney; self-aware egotistic queens like Rihanna, Beyoncé, and Taylor Swift; queens who are ahead of their time like Christina Aguilera; always disowning their previous album and restarting their career like Selena Gomez; and queens who take themselves too seriously like Gaga. :barbie_hair_flip_hairflip_weave_proud_cocky:

I guess once you've had me, i'm locked in for life. I'm ride or die like that. These queens all won my heart already that even if they eventually flop and start making bad music, i'll still continue supporting. :comingthru_britney_circus_2008_boobs_chest_smile_walking_hat_happy:

If you lose me, then you never had me at all. That's just it. :queenflopga_walk_sass_pink:

Lmao! The Selena Gomez bit had me rolling! Love everything you said. Amen!! ❤️❤️

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Roxxy said:

Bravo! 

• Love 1

Music that I don't like is the fastest and easiest way to get me to become uninterested in you.

Britney and Lana Del Rey are the only 2 artists that I care enough about to care about music videos, visuals, photoshoots, promo, eras, etc. Even for Lana, I only care about her visuals, not her era planning. If you don't have good music, I'll lose interest quickly because that's basically the only thing I care about for 99% of artists that I listen to.

Ethical reasons are another. I refuse to listen to 6ix9ine due to his history of child abuse, and I stopped listening to XXXTENTACION due to his abusive history.

• Love 2

Artist's persona usually plays a big part for me. And in this case, Shawn Mendes is the first one to comes up. I really used to like his music and him as a performer, but after his third album came out and the start the thing with Camila, I feel like he starts to lose his genuine purpose in sharing cheesey music but rather a chart hungry twink showing mouthjob clips with his "girlfriend". 

Or, I just outgrow Shawn as an artist, especially with the sudden shift with his priorities, I can't see the good boy persona that drawn me to him.

• Love 1

usually when they put out two albums I dislike in a row 

I feel like artists like pink, Kelly Clarkson, Avril, Katy Perry I was super into. then they release an album thats kinda meh and I'm like huh. and then I try again with their next album and if I still don't like enough of it I just kind of figure that I outgrew them.

Tbh I want to move away from that. Because it's not fair. I thought Christina's liberation was really good and I totally wouldn't have listened to it but for some fluke / whatever reason I did. I still have love for the artists and for their older work but I just kinda stop checking out their new stuff if I get two flops in a row. 

• Love 1

I lost interest in Gaga when she released Chromatica. I'm a fan but this era just didn't interest me. She keeps repeating this "edgy alien" image from BTW and "futuristic" dance pop from AP that she tries to recreate. It gets tired. I just found it boring. It's sad because I was hyped with ASIB and this just left me bored. I secretly didn't even want her to go dance-pop again. I feel it's what the public and her fans ragingly demanded and she gave in to pressure.

• Like 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.