This Day in Pop: Britney releases My Prerogative single in 2004 (September 21)

On 9/21/2020 at 10:36 AM, YannFrance said:

I'm sad she never got to perform it live, it could have been epic. Also the music video is one of her best, love how dark **** and intriguing it is. I remember the Greatest Hits was very sucessfull here in europe and i was obsessed with the DVD they released with all her music videos <3

exactly the same. watched the video on her website a million times

14 minutes ago, mmseventy said:

For some reason, when I was a kid / young teen, I felt like “bad / sad” Britney began when this song came out, and the happy pop star Brit was gone… idk it gave me a bad feeling! So silly lol. Looking back it’s a fierce song. 

No, I did get that kind of vibe too. Even with Everytime it was still a bit more fan-fictionish, and more teenage kind of vibe, and with My Prerogative it was like a more adult Britney and it seemed like she was really pissed at the world at that moment for messing with her, her life, her relationships. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

No, I did get that kind of vibe too. Even with Everytime it was still a bit more fan-fictionish, and more teenage kind of vibe, and with My Prerogative it was like a more adult Britney and it seemed like she was really pissed at the world at that moment for messing with her, her life, her relationships. 

Exactly, that’s such a good way to put it. Like even though Everytime was dark, it still kind of fit into the teen-dream-pop star narrative; it was a soft and beautiful song and even though the story paralleled her life somewhat (although, moreso her life in the next few years) it seemed more fictional. Prerogative definitely seemed to me like the first departure from the “script,” like oh she is pissed and doesn’t care that this is kind of outside of the pop star narrative / playbook.

• Like 1