What's your favorite happy production (upbeat) to a very dark song lyrically in pop music

Since Lucky was already posted, I'll pick Azúcar Amargo by Mexican singer Fey.

The song is a classic from the 90's, and it was very catchy and popular. Kids and adults alike would sing it, it's very upbeat but the lyrics are quite sad.

The song is basically Fey telling her man that she already knows he's in love with another girl, and she's pushing him to tell her the truth, as harsh as it is. She even complains that she's always the one that has to take the first step. She notices him uneasy, without the same spark in his eyes that he used to have.

So she sings in the chorus that he's "azúcar amargo" which literally translates to bitter sugar (no one ever uses that term in normal speech lol ) but it would be like bittersweet, then she calls him an angel and a demon, because he comes to her and kisses her, but she knows he's a damn liar.

It's kinda a similar situation as in Perfume, except that in that song Britney doesn't want him to confirm her the truth, she instead just marks her territory for the other girl to smell.

Another song would be Man on the Moon, but despite the verses being kinda sad, I think the chorus is a bit more positive and encouraging.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block