Lady Gaga wins the Tricon Award at the VMAs

• Leader

Lady Gaga is the first-ever recipient of the MTV VMA Tricon award (“global music superstar, award-winning actor, fashion trailblazer, [and] devoted activist,” which is technically four things).

“This is so cool. This means a lot to me,” Gaga said. “It means more to me than you probably even realize. I’ve been making music since I was a little girl and even though I had really, really big dreams I really never could have imagined that I would be given an award like this that honored me for so many of my passions.”

“Everyone at home is their own form of a Tricon,” she continued. “I wish for you to think, right now, of three things that define who you are, and take a moment to reward yourself for your bravery. This has not been an easy year for a lot of people, but what I see in the world is a massive triumph of courage.”

“I also hope that people at home who have big dreams, I hope they see me here today accepting this award and know how grateful I am. I want you to know that you can do this too. Just because we’re separated right now and culture may feel less alive in some ways, I know a renaissance is coming and the wrath of pop culture will inspire you and the rage of art will empower you as it responds to hardship with its generosity and love.”

Watch below:

Related:

gaga-tricon.jpg.94fd4b57f8940fc7cab49016942499cb.jpg

• Love 2
  • Like 2
14 minutes ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Basically the new video vanguard award, which MTV is contributing to the erasure of Michael Jackson. 

How is this erasing MJs legacy in any way? 

I think MTV are only destroying/hurting their own format and consistency as an award show and music platform.

Who wants to win a “triton” 🧜‍♂️ 🔱 award anyway with no history affiliated to it. It’s so trivial 😂

• Love 4
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Basically the new video vanguard award, which MTV is contributing to the erasure of Michael Jackson. 

I mean, yeah. I don't know why they needed to give her virtually the same award. Regardless of Jackson's personal life MTV cannot deny the fact he basically game them success and his contribution to pop. Especially since Gaga's impact is just really on the same level as Katy, Rihanna, and Taylor. So I don't think it's necessary to put her higher just because of her crazy outfits. Still love her though.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, MortalMarshmallow said:

I think MTV are only destroying/hurting their own format and consistency as an award show and music platform.

Who wants to win a “triton” 🧜‍♂️ 🔱 award anyway with no history affiliated to it. It’s so trivial 😂

The history of that award starts with Gaga. 

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, emailmyheart1999 said:

I mean, yeah. I don't know why they needed to give her virtually the same award. Regardless of Jackson's personal life MTV cannot deny the fact he basically game them success and his contribution to pop. Especially since Gaga's impact is just really on the same level as Katy, Rihanna, and Taylor. So I don't think it's necessary to put her higher just because of her crazy outfits. Still love her 

Comparing Gaga to basics like Katy and Taylor omggg you didn't. You like it or not, her first three eras redefined what being a female popstar meant to every other girl in the game, forced them to give much more in their performances and shows, and as the award tonight stated, she is multitalented AND an activist, deserving of every awards she won tonight. For God's sake, Katy Perry can't even sing properly, even though she does make bops every 4 years.

• Love 1
  • Like 5
2 hours ago, MortalMarshmallow said:

Music, film and philanthropy. I get it, but VMAs sucked up to Gaga the way the Billboards suck Taylor Swifts tiddy. Not trying to be negative, but i dislike when a show blatantly turns into an "it's all about this artist" night. VMAs have really sucked last few years and everything  seems super meditated. Granted 2020 was an odd show for events like this one, but the show severely lacks that sparkle, randomness or magick it once donned. 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, ralphcornio said:

Comparing Gaga to basics like Katy and Taylor omggg you didn't. You like it or not, her first three eras redefined what being a female popstar meant to every other girl in the game, forced them to give much more in their performances and shows, and as the award tonight stated, she is multitalented AND an activist, deserving of every awards she won tonight. For God's sake, Katy Perry can't even sing properly, even though she does make bops every 4 years.

Correction: Gaga's first two* eras redefind that...... Everything after Born This Way was lackluster. Katy and Rihanna had better music in that time. Chromatica slaps though! 😉 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block