Will Chromatica age badly?

1 minute ago, blackoutbixxh said:

Well seeing how it’s based off of 90s dance music, yes it’s been dated since before it even came out :gagasmile:

Luckily for me I love 90s house music so I don’t mind :lizzie:

Mte :brityes: 

I hope Alice is the next single :duadance: Then SC, Replay, and Babylon lol

4 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

I think the 90's influence would've been good if she did it last decade. Or if she at least made it sound like actual music from that era, instead of those weird tracks that feel like end too soon, with no catchy choruses or hooks.

For the start of the new decade, I would've expected a new sound from her, or to be inspired by the early 2000's, which is what's next, if we follow the cycle.

The problem isn't that her music is "dated". The problem is that she's not clever/ingenious in the way she wrapping all these influences together and it ends up being corny. There are a tons of old songs that still sound great, take boogie funk for example, that kind of music is 30 years old and it still sounds fresher than Chromatica. Old synthpop tracks from Kraftwerk still sound very good. And some great deep house/UK Garage tracks from the 90's still survive for me. But in general the majority of 2010s pop music was massively overproduced and aged like milk. And Gaga is not the kind of person who is used to playing the minimalism or subtlety card. 

I don't think a song in itself becomes dated, but it's more the context in which it's set that becomes dated. Take any kind of music: it has its typical gimmicks and production tropes and that's what makes it sound dated. I think you have to try to avoid copying too many trends. If the artist borrows a lot of other elements that are currently popular from other songs, chances are the trend will run out and therefore it will always be considered as a sound of that time. There is also an element of things that happen in cycles that affect the timelessness of a sound. Sometimes dated sounds can become fresh again. 90s house seems fresh again, but the progressive trance of the 90s is kinda outdated. I don't know why, but that's the way it is. As long as the music has been made with talent, love and effort, it will come back. There's a lot of great dance music from the 90s and late 80s that is waiting to be heard again. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, MyLittlePopstar said:

When did the place become so Gaga hateful. “Dated”??? The whole album is 90s dance/house influenced.... so it not supposed to sound like what’s popular right now, it’s not like it sounds like the current trendy artists like Billie Ellish or Ariana. It’s my favorite album of the year. 

Because this type of dance music was sooo milked to death in the early 2010s that everyone was sick of it. So, it feels like a, "Ummm, Stefani, you're like 8 years too late to jump on this stupid trend," moment.:typing: I don't know about the rest of the users, but my comment was definitely not hateful. I love both Gaga and "Chromatica". I was trying to prove a point that an album sounding dated shouldn't be a bad thing. :typing:

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Blackout2006 said:

Dance music wasnt that popular in the early 10s compared to EDM, and there were few dance, what r u talkin about?

Even if EDM was the driving force, it overlapped with house music a lot of the time. Plus, not entirely sure about the US, but Europe and the UK went through a huge house music phase. And I'm using the term "dance / house music" loosely. Like, that's when the whole instrumental dance chorus trend becamse super huge, and it was so milked to death that everyone got super sick of it. :katyclown: I think the majority of "Chromatica" was done in a very tasteful way, but "Free Woman" literally sounds like something from 2012 charts, no cap. :badthoughts:

• Love 1
7 hours ago, MyLittlePopstar said:

When did the place become so Gaga hateful. “Dated”??? The whole album is 90s dance/house influenced.... so it not supposed to sound like what’s popular right now, it’s not like it sounds like the current trendy artists like Billie Ellish or Ariana. It’s my favorite album of the year. 

I can’t speak for the others, but I don’t hate her at all. I’ve been a Little Monster since I was a kid. :qtbrit:

• Love 3

Ohh I’m surprised at the comments.

For me- it’s been the best thing to come out of lockdown and Gaga back to her roots. Can’t wait for the tour. 
I literally only skip Replay & Fun Tonight (and obviously when the drum & bass part strangely kicks in at the end of SFA). But rest of the album is bop-central for me. 
Cannot wait to cause havoc in a nightclub soon, with a rum & coke in each hand- and Plastic Doll blasting 💋 

• Love 3

I thought It sounded dated the first time I heard It, but I don't think It has to do with the old Influences.

I don't like Dua Lipa at all, but Future Nostalgia captured very well the retro sound (70 disco, 80's pop) and blended with stuff we can hear nowadays on radio, at same time It doesn't sounded generic either.

Chromatica sounds weak for someone as big as Gaga.

The productions are so disappointing, I like bloodpop and Burns but they didn't work well together. The album reminds me what contestants of Rupaul could release. No offense some of the drags are great, but we're talking about Gaga, we expect more from her.

And I have to say, Gaga probably was not ready or even inspired to release a pop album now. It seems interscope was pressuring to capitalize asib success.

Well, If her fans are happy with It, that's fine.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, UncannyX-Man2099 said:

It already has aged poorly. Most of the songs sound the same and they aren't very catchy or progressive. Rain on me and Sour candy will be the only ones people go back to listen to.

Still better than Joanne though james franco wink GIF

I guess I’m the only one who enjoyed Joanne :jl:

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, TheySayImCrazy18 said:

What I Think Is Good?  Literally Every Gaga Album Ever (Except Chromatica).  :barbie:

What Else Do I Think Is Good?  Britney’s Discography (Except Britney Jean). 

Madonna’s Discography (Except Madame X)  

What Do You Think Is Good? 

Chromatica is my favourite gaga album so far. Artpop was horrible and Joanne made me fall asleep.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block