Honestly tho... why the hate for Circus?

Theodor

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THANK YOU!!!  

I feel like im the only person who lovessse Circus wholeheartedly. it brings me back to such a nostolgic time and just the whole feeling surrounding it is so memorable. the undeniably amazing comeback. and some of her best songs are on this album for sure: blur, unusual you, circus, amnesia, phonography, shattered glass!!! the singles for this album are absolutely amazing choices that made this album so lively and successful. there are so many bops on this album, only a few fillers: mmm papi, rockboy, rock me in. and it is definitely personal, w/ My Baby even if ppl hate it. theres something so sentimental and amazing about this album, its classic pop Britney. and the era>>>

It didn’t age that well but honestly it has some of her best songs ever like unusual you the singles ofc and kill the lights, out from under and blur are nice. I like mmm Papi and mannequin and shattered depending on my mood. Quicksand should’ve replaced my baby. Phonography is better than lace and leather too tbh

I’ve noticed Circus stans are always younger/around my age. I’m 23. How old are y’all lol

I feel like this album is the Baby One More Time for my generation (old gen z/gen z?). Like we remember Baby, Oops, Slave, Toxic, but this album was the relaunch of Britney Spears and we were apart of her demographic. I remember how often these songs were played at school dances. 

With that said I liked this album as a kid...kinda? I wasn’t an average fan as a kid so when I heard Blackout the year prior I was beyond slayed. Slayed doesn’t even properly summarize how impressed I was by this album. When it came to Circus, I was so excited to hear Britney’s follow up. And then I heard the album.

Yeah it was cute but it was a regression for her artistry in my opinion. The album was too safe. Even though I was 11 and didn’t have a full grasp on what that even meant I knew there was something about that album that was supposed to make her seem like a squeaky clean pop star again.

Every song on the album is fine and I won’t skip when they come up in shuffle (to be fully honest I don’t even do that with songs on Britney Jean lol) but they’re just not my favorite. I think my favorite on the album is Phonography (which was a huge missed opportunity to not perform during the phone *** act at the Circus Tour instead of Breathe on Me).

When FreeBritney happened this and Femme Fatale made me feel so indifferent to those two eras. It felt so smoke and mirrors and it was evidently clear at that point that Britney didn’t wanna participate (at least in the form they pushed). I mean yeah we knew that before but it felt so different at that point. 

• Super Mods

I don't think its a bad album however compared to her previous albums like ITZ and Blackout, it fails in comparison.

I felt like Britney's team wanted her to release a safe album to win back the gp and it worked.

But like one of the comments above me said:

Other than the singles, its forgettable.

However I will say Circus is BETTER than Britney Jean

I didn’t realise people hated Circus. I don’t think it’s her best but it earned her the title of comeback queen. Over 500k copies sold first week. 
Not to be “edgy” as some users put it for casting singles aside, you’ve got Shattered Glass, Unusual You, Blur, Mannequin, Phonography and Amnesia more than making up for it’s shortcomings. 

Archived