Should Beyoncé be Held Accountable for Doing Black face?

I would say the way she did black face is acceptable because I don't think she was mocking anyone or any culture. I see it more as paying tribute or honoring African heritage in this case. Many of the actors or comedians that have been canceled for black face were using it to make fun of a black person in a mimicking way. Beyonce has been for the culture for black people more and more as her career went on.  

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, OnlyBeyonce said:

for me the aim of an action is so important if i need to write a comment about it. She is black and she is celebrating the heritage of her ancestors, so why we need to make a problem about it?

4 minutes ago, britbratt12 said:

I would say the way she did black face is acceptable because I don't think she was mocking anyone or any culture. I see it more as paying tribute or honoring African heritage in this case. Many of the actors or comedians that have been canceled for black face were using it to make fun of a black person in a mimicking way. Beyonce has been for the culture for black people more and more as her career went on.  

As someone who is mixed, I just can’t stand by her actions. Lighter skinned/mixed people were usually given better treatment/more privileges than darker skinned individuals. So the issue is that Beyoncé, someone who has more privilege than most, is taking a job away from someone who is actually from Africa and dark skinned. ☺️

7 minutes ago, Towelney said:

As someone who is mixed, I just can’t stand by her actions. Lighter skinned/mixed people were usually given better treatment/more privileges than darker skinned individuals. So the issue is that Beyoncé, someone who has more privilege than most, is taking a job away from someone who is actually from Africa and dark skinned. ☺️

your argument is invalid because that shot was about Beyoncé and that was just a concept for the shot. We need to blame Britney because she has  taked a job away from a true circus artist? :jl:

orig

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, OnlyBeyonce said:

your argument is invalid because that shot was about Beyoncé and that was just a concept for the shot. We need to blame Britney because she has  taked a job away from a true circus artist? :jl:

orig

But a circus can have anyone in it. :miley: 
I don’t mind Beyoncé being in the photoshoot, but why did she have to paint her face dark? Not all Africans are darkskinned.

1 minute ago, Towelney said:

But a circus can have anyone in it. :miley: 
I don’t mind Beyoncé being in the photoshoot, but why did she have to paint her face dark? Not all Africans are darkskinned.

00.27 The idea of the shot is to paying homage to the african QUEENS through the ages

30 minutes ago, Jordan Miller said:

MTE. She's clearly celebrating her heritage and there is zero malice. Scared I'll be cancelled for commenting on this cause I am a privileged white male but those are my thoughts anyhow. 

I don’t disagree with you, but it could be argued that these people losing their careers for doing black face were paying homage to people they looked up to as well, right? Even the Kardashians have upset people by doing this even though I don’t think they necessarily had any malice.

How are we supposed to support people who get offended by these things when the rules are so ambiguous and inconsistent? What are your thoughts on the Wayan brothers in “White Chicks” where they literally put on white faces and act “white” throughout the entire movie?  

• Like 3

I think it's important to note that theres an entire world outside America. In fact, most of the world is outside of America, which holds only 4.25% of the world's population.

Most countries in the world do not even have a concept of "black face". Native tribes the world over painted their faces and bodies all kinds of colors throughout human history. Most of the world is entirely unfamiliar with the term "black face" and its historical context in America.

I know this may be an unpopular opinion given the tensions that have been going on recently in America, but I believe the whole concept of "black face" should go into the dustbin of history. It was used in the 19th and 20th centuries in American theater to portray racist black charicatures; why must the entire world be held hostage regarding coloring their faces by what happened in one or two small countries, during a miniscule part of history, in a miniscule section of the public domain (theater)?

Coloring of the face existed for thousands of years before "black face" briefly became a thing, and I believe it will exist long after for entirely non-racist reasons. People should be free to do whatever they want with their own bodies, and color themselves or express themselves however they want. Not everything is about race, and not everything is about America, and not everything is about race-related topics in America, regardless of how people have been trying to portray it.

So long as nobody is coloring their faces black and subsequently playing out racist charicatures of black people, what is the problem?

Its important to remember that America is not the entire world, and the entire world does not revolve around America. If you start deciding that everything at any point in history in any place that has ever had an even remotely negative connotation is forbidden for the rest of eternity, you'll very soon run out of things youre "allowed" to do. Nothing will be allowed anymore, because virtually every concept can and has been used negatively.

Let black face die; fighting people who decide to color themselves for non-racist reasons is simply not a fight worth fighting. There is wide-spread famine in Yemen, civil unrest in Syria, deadly diseases in central Africa, governmental oppression in China and countless other countries, and the list goes on; there are real life-and-death problems in the world aside from people painting themselves other colors. Its time to look outside of your bubbles.

Edited by DonoDotto
  • Love 4
  • Like 2
21 minutes ago, DonoDotto said:

I think it's important to note that theres an entire world outside America. In fact, most of the world is outside of America, which holds only 4.25% of the world's population.

Most countries in the world do not even have a concept of "black face". Native tribes the world over painted their faces and bodies all kinds of colors throughout human history. Most of the world is entirely unfamiliar with the term "black face" and its historical context in America.

I know this may be an unpopular opinion given the tensions that have been going on recently in America, but I believe the whole concept of "black face" should go into the dustbin of history. It was used in the 19th and 20th centuries in American theater to portray racist black charicatures; why must the entire world be held hostage regarding coloring their faces by what happened in one or two small countries, during a miniscule part of history, in a miniscule section of the public domain (theater)?

Coloring of the face existed for thousands of years before "black face" briefly became a thing, and I believe it will exist long after for entirely non-racist reasons. People should be free to do whatever they want with their own bodies, and color themselves or express themselves however they want. Not everything is about race, and not everything is about America, and not everything is about race-related topics in America, regardless of how people have been trying to portray it.

So long as nobody is coloring their faces black and subsequently playing out racist charicatures of black people, what is the problem?

Its important to remember that America is not the entire world, and the entire world does not revolve around America. If you start deciding that everything at any point in history in any place that has ever had an even remotely negative connotation is forbidden for the rest of eternity, you'll very soon run out of things youre "allowed" to do. Nothing will be allowed anymore, because virtually every concept can and has been used negatively.

Let black face die; fighting people who decide to color themselves for non-racist reasons is simply not a fight worth fighting. There is wide-spread famine in Yemen, civil unrest in Syria, deadly diseases in central Africa, governmental oppression in China and countless other countries, and the list goes on; there are real life-and-death problems in the world aside from people painting themselves other colors. Its time to look outside of your bubbles.

:mimiclap:

• Love 1
2 hours ago, DonoDotto said:

tenor.gif?itemid=11010548

I'd add 6 genocides occurring at the moment, including one in Africa (oh, but who cares? let's waste our energy against people that did a non-racist ****** by cancelling them, even though they're from other countries that we don't know anything of and cultural backgrounds, but of course, we still expect them to know America history!). But as usual, people will start to talk about these genocides once they're over. Cry after instead of preventing before. 

That American bubble is extended internationally with the medias. It is an important subject to cover of course, as it may have great repercussions throughout the world. I'm just saying that talking 20 minutes per days in the news about 'protests in the US' and less than 1 minute per month about life and death issues (including issues in which you may have some potential to act: the famine in Yemen for instance) isn't really fair to me. 

• Like 2

I don’t believe a black woman doing black face has the same connotation as someone from outside the community doing the same thing. Race involves power imbalance between minorities and majorities. This is a black woman paying tribute to her ancestors. I don’t see the comparison. Context matters. 

edit: typo. 

• Love 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block