• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like you said, Islam isn’t the only religion to incite hatred or division of LGBT+ people. 
Personally, I lost respect for religion when I was a teen. I could never reconcile the thought of an “all loving god” that only loved you if you fit their mould. That is despite the fact that “god created everyone and everything”. Make it make sense. 
I don’t believe that it is racist at all to call out religious bigotry, regardless of the religion. I mean, who decided the Catholic Church should dictate how people live their lives with the p*******a that has plagued it for ever. 
In many countries where Islam is the main religion, often women aren’t treated much better than the LGBT community either (unable to drive, no public appearances with out a man present).

I do, however, think that tolerance is key. You don’t have to respect or agree with their beliefs, but I’m a firm believer of “do un to others as you would have others do un to you” (yes, some religion does have worthwhile morals hidden in the folds of their hypocrisy). 
Leave people to their small minds, don’t give them free space in yours :)

8 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

I clicked here thinking it was going to be a FREEBRITNEY! :fu: post :kidcries:

:haha: 

I get intense with that topic, don’t I? 
She deserves to be free! It’s just unbelievable. She should have her human rights back! 

Oops I did it again :comingthru:

FREE BRITNEY!!

39 minutes ago, babyimmafreak90 said:

Like you said, Islam isn’t the only religion to incite hatred or division of LGBT+ people. 
Personally, I lost respect for religion when I was a teen. I could never reconcile the thought of an “all loving god” that only loved you if you fit their mould. That is despite the fact that “god created everyone and everything”. Make it make sense. 
I don’t believe that it is racist at all to call out religious bigotry, regardless of the religion. I mean, who decided the Catholic Church should dictate how people live their lives with the p*******a that has plagued it for ever. 
In many countries where Islam is the main religion, often women aren’t treated much better than the LGBT community either (unable to drive, no public appearances with out a man present).

I do, however, think that tolerance is key. You don’t have to respect or agree with their beliefs, but I’m a firm believer of “do un to others as you would have others do un to you” (yes, some religion does have worthwhile morals hidden in the folds of their hypocrisy). 
Leave people to their small minds, don’t give them free space in yours :)

This was nice :mhm:

13 minutes ago, babyimmafreak90 said:

Im sorry this topic was too controversial. I was genuinely looking forward to peoples opinions.

Also, I can’t at google for censoring p e d o p h i l i a. How dare they stand up for the catholic church in this way? :hillary:

I should have let it as it was and see if people wanted to say something lol. 

OMG :haha: I know right? Is google run by the catholic church or what? :frenchy:

1 hour ago, babyimmafreak90 said:

so far, Saudi Arabia was the only Muslim-majority country in which a woman couldn't drive. and it had nothing to do with religion, don't confuse culture & religion. plus, Islam is in reality the most liberal religion for women among the three Abrahamic ones. A Muslim woman has more rights than a Jewish woman, if we only consider the religion and not the culture. your knowledge towards this religion & these societies seems to be quite limited to stereotypes (oh yeah, those countries with sand in which women are cooking all-day-long for their rich husband and can't breath without their consent). 

33 minutes ago, babyimmafreak90 said:

Also, I can’t at google for censoring p e d o p h i l i a. How dare they stand up for the catholic church in this way? :hillary:

another stereotype about Catholics... 

30 minutes ago, conceptuel said:

so far, Saudi Arabia was the only Muslim-majority country in which a woman couldn't drive. and it had nothing to do with religion, don't confuse culture & religion. plus, Islam is in reality the most liberal religion for women among the three Abrahamic ones. A Muslim woman has more rights than a Jewish woman, if we only consider the religion and not the culture. your knowledge towards this religion & these societies seems to be quite limited to stereotypes (oh yeah, those countries with sand in which women are cooking all-day-long for their rich husband and can't breath without their consent). 

Say that those religions are not homophobic lol. Facts are facts.

13 minutes ago, conceptuel said:

Well that absolutely was not my intention. As I said, religion hasn’t been my thing for the better part of two decades and Islam is a minority religion where I live. 
I didn’t mean to confuse religion and culture, I never meant to offend or stereotype. Although I have never assumed “those countries with sand” or the “rich husband/wife slave” scenario as I know that this is not true, please don’t put words in my mouth. I’m open to learning, sorry that I’m not as up to speed as you. Thank you for belittling me though :jl:

As for Catholicism, I was raised catholic, most of my family still are. There has been huge controversies where I am from in recent years regarding the culture that has run rife in their schools and churches. Cardinal George Pell was arrested and convicted, although his conviction was overturned. I still believe he is guilty and there is lots of coverups. The child abuse might be a “stereotype” but there is also truth to it. 
But the comment you quoted in regards to google was a joke. Obviously I don’t believe that all members of the Catholic Church are terrible people, nor followers of any religion for that matter. But this thread was originally about the LGBT+ community and their relationship with religion as far as fair treatment goes. So my misunderstanding of a religion I care little about is really besides the point. Bigotry is bigotry and it’s not okay, not even under the guise of religion :)

7 minutes ago, babyimmafreak90 said:

Well that absolutely was not my intention. As I said, religion hasn’t been my thing for the better part of two decades and Islam is a minority religion where I live. 
I didn’t mean to confuse religion and culture, I never meant to offend or stereotype. Although I have never assumed “those countries with sand” or the “rich husband/wife slave” scenario as I know that this is not true, please don’t put words in my mouth. I’m open to learning, sorry that I’m not as up to speed as you. Thank you for belittling me though :jl:

As for Catholicism, I was raised catholic, most of my family still are. There has been huge controversies where I am from in recent years regarding the culture that has run rife in their schools and churches. Cardinal George Pell was arrested and convicted, although his conviction was overturned. I still believe he is guilty and there is lots of coverups. The child abuse might be a “stereotype” but there is also truth to it. 
But the comment you quoted in regards to google was a joke. Obviously I don’t believe that all members of the Catholic Church are terrible people, nor followers of any religion for that matter. But this thread was originally about the LGBT+ community and their relationship with religion as far as fair treatment goes. So my misunderstanding of a religion I care little about is really besides the point. Bigotry is bigotry and it’s not okay, not even under the guise of religion :)

Slay :meryl:

49 minutes ago, babyimmafreak90 said:

my English was quite terrible in that post, the part about rich husband living in the desert wasn’t supposed to be how you interpreted it (it was just a common stereotype, I should’ve add ‘also’). it’s just that your post is too ‘simple’ whereas the reality behind it is more complex, there is within and outside these societies huge confusions between religion & culture, and of course it hugely affects the place of the woman in Muslim-majority countries. it’s quite difficult to talk about it in a single post, as every country is hugely different from one to another, and so is the role of women. and it is difficult to apprehend it, because you need some knowledge about this religion in order to be able to speak about it and not confuse it with governmental practices/cultural practices (that are sometimes strongly in contradiction with their religion). that was kinda what I meant with my post.

about the thread, I didn’t know what it was about. 

& for the Catholics, it’s just that these affairs, as horrible and scandalous they are, are not a religious practice. they are Catholics, priests, and pedos. but it still doesn’t mean that it is a Christian thing (the Bible completely forbids such acts). still, their weaknesses may come from their excessive chastity, and, for instance, Islam recommended their religious leaders to get married because of these pulsions that could eventually lead to such acts (I’ve been reading lately a book about the evolution between the three religions, but also their different branches, that was very interesting tbh, I didn’t regret my euros lol). and the same goes for the Jews, Israel doesn’t represent the religion very well and as it is (hence the many fights between religious leaders & governments).

in a nutshell, the main complexity is to know if a practice is religious, reinforced by religion, forbidden by religion, cultural, reinforced by culture, or socially forbidden. and of course, you have to know which dominant branch is present within a territory (Orthodox, Catholic, Protestant, etc) because if you don’t know it, there’d be a problem in your ‘fights’: you might fight against something that you think is religious whereas it is cultural (and women is a perfect example for it, their condition is not the same in Serbia as in Russia, in Indonesia as in Qatar, even though these couples of countries do have the same religion).

I’ll stop here for the moment, it’s already 5AM (time flies when you’re on a break) and I can’t get some sleep, I hope that I’ll stay awake during my exams lol

Archived