Artists That Went Through A Sophomore Slump / Underrated Follow-Up Albums From One-Hit Wonders

5 hours ago, Romance said:

Camila isn’t flop no matter how much Jordan wishes it was lol (sorry not sorry)

Camilla did flop. Romance was a hard flop compared to her debut album. 81k sales in your first week??? For an American artist with over a billion streams? it’s just been certified platinum, last month, despite being released for 5 months and the lead single only peaked at #60. The reason the album itself was even certified platinum was because of streams from senorita . Plus, the biggest hit itself was a collab. A collab that wasn’t planned to be in the tracklist of romance but her team added it to help save the album somewhat. For this threads theme sake, her debut album debuted at no.2 with 21k sales (which would be bad for a second or third album, but was decent for a debut), the biggest hit and lead single of Camila was Havana which peaked at no.1. Romance flopped and everyone understands that.

• Like 2
  • Content Curators

Lol Britney’s sophomore album outsold 

now when I look at my other fav Shakira it’s confusing 

she released her first album at 13 and then her second at 15 

they did well in South America but she hated them so she literally “deleted” them from everywhere LMFAOO 

so technically Dónde Estás corazon was  her second album which was HUGE in Latin America and made her a household name and wicked famous 

then her next album after that laundry service (First English album) was a WORLDWIDE hit serving hits like whenever wherever and underneath your clothes and was one of the best selling female albums in the year it was released 

then every album after that increased her popularity and sales 

queen 😭😭

(Ik no one asked for this lmfao)

• Haha 2

Nelly Furtado sophomore album "Folklore" was a huge slump. I know she is a foreigner artist, and for those type of artist, it's more difficult to maintain the the hits at a mainstream level. The album is pretty good and she got back with her third album "Loose". But after that, she disappeared again. 

She was all over the place and with the Spanish album, people lost track of her. 

• Love 1
On 6/7/2020 at 4:15 AM, iAlwaysSingLive said:

Rachel_Platten_-_Waves.jpg

Rachel Platten burst onto the scene with her smash hit self-empowerment anthem "Fight Song". The song peaked at #6 in the US and #1 in the UK. It's certified 6x Platinum in the US, which is a huge achievement for a random folk singer-songwriter no one had ever heard of before. :yeahhh: Her follow-up single did pretty well too - it peaked at #37 in the US. :typing: "Wildfire", the album both of these singles come from, had a pretty cute run on the charts as well. It debuted at #5 with 45k units, which ain't that bad for someone as basic as her. :clicktina: In terms of critical acclaim, "Wildfire" didn't do too well - it got a 52 on Metacritic. Personally, I agree with this score, as the album is very bland and very boring. :martini: Her 2nd album "Waves" arrived a year and 7 months later, and it seems like no one even noticed its release. It debuted at #73, and the singles didn't even chart at all. :idkney: Honestly, that's such a shame because the album is actually really good. I went into it expecting another bland-azz folk record, but I was wrong. It still has elements of folk, but on the surface it's this glitzy, glossy dance-pop record with a very current sound. Here are some of the highlights:

(very Selena Gomez)

(Ellie Goulding vibes)

(probably the best song on the album)

Is this album genuine? Soundwise, it's really not. You can tell her label was very clearly pushing her towards a pop market. However, the songwriting is, IMO, not only genuine, but also really good. Give it a listen. Even the ballads / more folkier moments are great. :lizzie:

Omg I Stan this woman and haven’t seen anyone appreciate her on here! I’ve stanned since 2011 :kidcries: I’ve seen her live three times and she deserves more success :lessons:

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Omg I Stan this woman and haven’t seen anyone appreciate her on here! I’ve stanned since 2011 :kidcries: I’ve seen her live three times and she deserves more success :lessons:

Her story is so inspiring, and she's such a genuine sweetheart. It's a shame that I couldn't get into "Wildfire", but "Waves" is flawless. :yeahhh:

• Love 2
Just now, iAlwaysSingLive said:

Her story is so inspiring, and she's such a genuine sweetheart. It's a shame that I couldn't get into "Wildfire", but "Waves" is flawless. :yeahhh:

Yes! She’s such a sweetheart in real life. I met her after her show a couple years ago and she had the biggest grin the entire time. I love all her work, but Waves is criminally underrated. That should’ve propelled her farther than Wildfire did. Collide, Shivers, Whole Heart, Labels, Perfect For You and Broken Glass deserves so much more. Hands always makes me tear up and seeing her perform it was so sad :kidcries:

• Love 1

Camila definitely had a sophomore slump, but she did not flop! 
Whether or not My Oh My was Payola, it was still a moderate hit and was by no means a flop.

she was marketed completely wrong with this album. But HOPEFULLY her third album is more successful. If she manages to pull off the role of Cinderella when it’s released and the music is good, there is huge potential for her to become bigger than she was in 2018-2019. Then all she needs is a HUGE Latin tinged first lead single. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
On 6/7/2020 at 5:32 PM, SpearsSpearsBrit said:

camila-cabello.jpg
 Trying to make her look like a Halsey with such a pop-dance-Latino audience behind her was a serious mistake :nothavingit:

Well that album you are referring to, Romance, is such a bop of a album. Prefer this to her debut album. Every song on this album is good. Was certified Gold after a month. And certified Platinum a few months after that. This shouldve been much bigger, her management, team and poor campaigne, made bops like Liar and Shameless fall relatively quickly. Senorita and My Oh My saved this album. Songs like Dream of You, Used To This, First Man, Easy and Living Proof  are gems and deserves sooooo much more attention. Her label failed her but shes already sold 1.2 million copies and still climbing. So a sophomore slump, it is not, a huge hit, no so much either. But the quality of this work, by all means, is not just pure pop perfection, a metacritic score of 71 sums it up quite nicely wouldnt you say so? I mostly just read everyone's comments, but this time, I had to use my voice. Just a side note, sales and charts is also not everything in this world you know. So many great albums and eps from Carly Rae Jepson, Lana, Hailee, Sia, Rachel and so many more, deserved soooo much more attention, but sometimes the general public only cares about whats hot and new and up and coming leaving beautifully crafted albums like these a true hidden gem to be discovered. One of the most underated albums I believe is Britney's Glory. Beautifully written and produced. And yet again, her team and label failed her. This happens to the best of them, and is truely unfortunate, but for the minority who appreciates art in the truest forms, like most of us here, is all that matters in the end, don't you agree?

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

Camilla did flop. Romance was a hard flop compared to her debut album. 81k sales in your first week??? For an American artist with over a billion streams? it’s just been certified platinum, last month, despite being released for 5 months and the lead single only peaked at #60. The reason the album itself was even certified platinum was because of streams from senorita . Plus, the biggest hit itself was a collab. A collab that wasn’t planned to be in the tracklist of romance but her team added it to help save the album somewhat. For this threads theme sake, her debut album debuted at no.2 with 21k sales (which would be bad for a second or third album, but was decent for a debut), the biggest hit and lead single of Camila was Havana which peaked at no.1. Romance flopped and everyone understands that.

Are you kidding me? She was not markted correctly. Yes Senorita and My Oh My saved the album. You do know she co-wrote both of them right? They are her songs. She was releasing way too many songs all at once and that really hurt her. But with all that, 80K was not that bad, with the worst roll out I think ever for an album? Simon's team has failed so many great artists like Leona. She's had a huge first album in the world and Simon's team failed her with her second, third and fourth albums (which were all ******* amazing albums). I really hope she gets out of that label, changes teams and deliver another great album, cos she really does deserve more attention. She's definitely one to watch. Maybe add a 4th grammy nom to her name and hopefully a win, to make all those haters count their words. Not sure why so much hate is thrown at her, isnt there enough hate in this world at the moment? Already looking forward to CC3.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Britneyarmy8 said:

Omg- I was like so close to sleeping when I wrote that, I put the wrong title lolll

the title I wrote is a song on her pies Descalzos 

forgive me 😭😭

the funniest part is that in more than 20 years I never noticed that those two were similar titles until now :haha:

It's just that in my mind I have very identified what is from Pies Descalzos, and what is from DELL. And I always related more ¿Dónde Estás Corazón? with Estoy Aquí, because the latter is like the answer to the former. 

• Love 1
  • Content Curators
4 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

the funniest part is that in more than 20 years I never noticed that those two were similar titles until now :haha:

It's just that in my mind I have very identified what is from Pies Descalzos, and what is from DELL. And I always related more ¿Dónde Estás Corazón? with Estoy Aquí, because the latter is like the answer to the former. 

I wish I was fluent in Spanish UGHH

1 hour ago, EvanMoon said:

Well that album you are referring to, Romance, is such a bop of a album. Prefer this to her debut album. Every song on this album is good. Was certified Gold after a month. And certified Platinum a few months after that. This shouldve been much bigger, her management, team and poor campaigne, made bops like Liar and Shameless fall relatively quickly. Senorita and My Oh My saved this album. Songs like Dream of You, Used To This, First Man, Easy and Living Proof  are gems and deserves sooooo much more attention. Her label failed her but shes already sold 1.2 million copies and still climbing. So a sophomore slump, it is not, a huge hit, no so much either. But the quality of this work, by all means, is not just pure pop perfection, a metacritic score of 71 sums it up quite nicely wouldnt you say so? I mostly just read everyone's comments, but this time, I had to use my voice. Just a side note, sales and charts is also not everything in this world you know. So many great albums and eps from Carly Rae Jepson, Lana, Hailee, Sia, Rachel and so many more, deserved soooo much more attention, but sometimes the general public only cares about whats hot and new and up and coming leaving beautifully crafted albums like these a true hidden gem to be discovered. One of the most underated albums I believe is Britney's Glory. Beautifully written and produced. And yet again, her team and label failed her. This happens to the best of them, and is truely unfortunate, but for the minority who appreciates art in the truest forms, like most of us here, is all that matters in the end, don't you agree?

Oops ... we found a fan
1. Nobody says that the album is bad, if not something boring for the audience to which it is addressed.
2. Is 1.2M real? Because record companies buy RIAA certifications based on future estimates. She has good streaming support but I don't know if so much in big powers (usa & uk)

16 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

😂 This was such a skull drag and sent me straight to the moon. Camilas next album will do even worse than BROmance. She’s on a steady decline.

Plus, dababy just got a #1 with “rockstar”, so it’s clear that he is the only reason my oh my charted at all. Let’s not forget “my oh my” isn’t even on the physical CD because the label added it one week before the release to save the album 🤣

Sucks to be a racist Camila...I anticipate 40k SPS with the next album 

1 hour ago, EvanMoon said:

Are you kidding me? She was not markted correctly. Yes Senorita and My Oh My saved the album. You do know she co-wrote both of them right? They are her songs. She was releasing way too many songs all at once and that really hurt her. But with all that, 80K was not that bad, with the worst roll out I think ever for an album? Simon's team has failed so many great artists like Leona. She's had a huge first album in the world and Simon's team failed her with her second, third and fourth albums (which were all ******* amazing albums). I really hope she gets out of that label, changes teams and deliver another great album, cos she really does deserve more attention. She's definitely one to watch. Maybe add a 4th grammy nom to her name and hopefully a win, to make all those haters count their words. Not sure why so much hate is thrown at her, isnt there enough hate in this world at the moment? Already looking forward to CC3.

You’re blaming Camila flopping with BROmance on her not being “marketed correctly”?? 🤣 Delusions of grandeur. Camila flopped because 1) she’s racist, and 2) nobody cares about her music. Every time I mention her in public, people say who? It’s not until I mention Havana that they say “oh yeah, the Havana girl.” Her hits are collaborations. None of her solo songs have done remarkably well, and “never be the same” was a product of payola and had a remix with Kane Brown. She isn’t a star, doesn’t have anything interesting about her, and her personality is nasty. Racists do not win in the end.

And how did she have a bad album rollout? She performed EVERYWHERE! I mean, living proof had a performance at the VMA’s and on Ellen with a choir! And it still didn’t chart! 🤣 Face the facts, the label isn’t the problem, it’s Camila.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block