Music In the 2020’s

Which way do you think music in the 2020s will change? 

- Will we see new innovations in sound 

- Will today’s pop queens reign the decade or will new blood take them into irrelevance ? 

- Will rock or other dated genres make a resurgence ?

- Or will an existing genre evolve...

future.jpg.4bf1ced8211603800c773398c93fcbaa.jpg

Looking into my Crystal Ball All That Magic GIF by Nickelodeon

I see Ariana remaining relevant. With a flop era but a loyal fan base. 

I can also see rock or hiphop influenced rock genre being mainstream. 

Billie Eilish clones will filter the other pop queens, with a not so talented background into irrelevance. I’m sorry Selena I love you. 

Madison Beer becoming mainstream

and new talented pop stars that act as the opposite to Billie 

Finally the rise of Tik Tok popstars... I’m sorry world. 

3 hours ago, sullivanSP said:

Madison Beer becoming mainstream

and new talented pop stars that act as the opposite to Billie 

Finally the rise of Tik Tok popstars may start to rise... 

She definitely will since she self-proclaimed herself "the standard of beauty". She's bound to go mainstream!

• Haha 1

Okay so heres my take on it:
Popular Genres:-

Rap will be overtaken and no more be the most popular genre. Hopefully, rap and hip-hop dies a very bad death because there is no more substance in it and they only thing i can hear is bad language. 70s-early 00s synth and techno pop will be the most popular genre reigning, and disco will have a slow ressurection in the charts. Pop will resurge and take back its position of the most popular genre. Basically, this decade seemed as a strong suit for Pop and will be full of suprises.

Trending and Declining artist:

Declining- Beyonce will decline this decade and will start gathering legacy awards. Taylor swift might have a good shift into the new decade, but due to overexposure and ageism, she will decline around the mid-early 20s. A severe error was found when i was thinking of Xtinas future in the new decade. Britney has potential, but needs to leave RCA. Katy perry will have somewhat popularity because she is...Katy perry but if she doesnt bring back a another teenage dream or prism era, i dont see a bright future for her. Drake is Drake, but i can see the locals losing their interest towards him and he might end up as Eminem. Even tho, not as popular, he can still pull strong album sales. Madonna will just decline and decline. Basically, most artist that had popularity in the early 10s will decline this decade. Mariah carey is a legacy artist, but no matter what, AIWFCIU will always be the biggest hit of December.

Rising and Trending- Billie is definetley going to be the IT girl of this decade. She In terms of superstardom, she is going to be Gen Z Britney Spears. She just has to keep reinventing her sound and she can hold a full decade. Ariana is for sure going to be one of the biggest artist over here. She has a very loyal and dedicated fanbase that will be there for her. Harry styles will be the most popular male artist of this decade, he is unpredictable and can easily produce a hit. Ed sheeran will just continue his reign this decade. Adele is Adele, she releases an album every 3 or 4 years, leaving the GP and fans always hungry for more. Doja cat and Lizzo will prevail with furthermore success, and will be the most popular female rappers of this decade. Post malone has a very bright future ahead him. Shawn Mendes, if he plays his cards right, gets the right producers, reinvents himself...can for sure catapult into superstardom. His last album was really good. Dua Lipa will become a favourite of the critics and will become a influencial legend. Weeknd will be able to hold his fame till the mid-late 20s.

Thats my guess. Btw, did i forget to say that 2020 music has been really good. The ressurection of pop: 2020- .....

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

Okay so heres my take on it:
Popular Genres:-

Rap will be overtaken and no more be the most popular genre. Hopefully, rap and hip-hop dies a very bad death because there is no more substance in it and they only thing i can hear is bad language. 70s-early 00s synth and techno pop will be the most popular genre reigning, and disco will have a slow ressurection in the charts. Pop will resurge and take back its position of the most popular genre. Basically, this decade seemed as a strong suit for Pop and will be full of suprises.

Trending and Declining artist:

Declining- Beyonce will decline this decade and will start gathering legacy awards. Taylor swift might have a good shift into the new decade, but due to overexposure and ageism, she will decline around the mid-early 20s. A severe error was found when i was thinking of Xtinas future in the new decade. Britney has potential, but needs to leave RCA. Katy perry will have somewhat popularity because she is...Katy perry but if she doesnt bring back a another teenage dream or prism era, i dont see a bright future for her. Drake is Drake, but i can see the locals losing their interest towards him and he might end up as Eminem. Even tho, not as popular, he can still pull strong album sales. Madonna will just decline and decline. Basically, most artist that had popularity in the early 10s will decline this decade. Mariah carey is a legacy artist, but no matter what, AIWFCIU will always be the biggest hit of December.

Rising and Trending- Billie is definetley going to be the IT girl of this decade. She In terms of superstardom, she is going to be Gen Z Britney Spears. She just has to keep reinventing her sound and she can hold a full decade. Ariana is for sure going to be one of the biggest artist over here. She has a very loyal and dedicated fanbase that will be there for her. Harry styles will be the most popular male artist of this decade, he is unpredictable and can easily produce a hit. Ed sheeran will just continue his reign this decade. Adele is Adele, she releases an album every 3 or 4 years, leaving the GP and fans always hungry for more. Doja cat and Lizzo will prevail with furthermore success, and will be the most popular female rappers of this decade. Post malone has a very bright future ahead him. Shawn Mendes, if he plays his cards right, gets the right producers, reinvents himself...can for sure catapult into superstardom. His last album was really good. Dua Lipa will become a favourite of the critics and will become a influencial legend. Weeknd will be able to hold his fame till the mid-late 20s.

Thats my guess. Btw, did i forget to say that 2020 music has been really good. The ressurection of pop: 2020- .....

Omg I wasn’t getting notifications that my thread had replies :( I just checked now and read all comments. Yours really stuck out. I agree with all the points you made. 

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, Born2Die said:

She definitely will since she self-proclaimed herself "the standard of beauty". She's bound to go mainstream!

I dunno, some girl did mention that she pukes herself up everyday and cuts herself wishing she could look like her. I think Madisons response came out wrong. When responding to that... 

19 hours ago, Fenixxx123 said:

just hope that Pop music comes back and all those Hip hop and rappers disappear from the planet earth

while I don't wish rappers to disappear from the planet... I do wish there was just more diversity on the mainstream.

I miss how back in the day you would see pop, rock, rap, dance, all kinds of artists, from different ages, different styles, each one giving the audience a different product.

Of course I prefer pop above all, but I just wish people were more open to other kind of stuff and that artists with a different sound, especially acts that have a longer trajectory, didn't have to rely on collaborating with the current famous people, or completely change their style just to be noticed. In the States is this rap trend and in Latin America is the reggaeton, and I'm just tired of that already. I can't wait for a newer generation to come and start finding all these sounds outdated and clear the way to new trends

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

while I don't wish rappers to disappear from the planet... I do wish there was just more diversity on the mainstream.

I miss how back in the day you would see pop, rock, rap, dance, all kinds of artists, from different ages, different styles, each one giving the audience a different product.

Of course I prefer pop above all, but I just wish people were more open to other kind of stuff and that artists with a different sound, especially acts that have a longer trajectory, didn't have to rely on collaborating with the current famous people, or completely change their style just to be noticed. In the States is this rap trend and in Latin America is the reggaeton, and I'm just tired of that already. I can't wait for a newer generation to come and start finding all these sounds outdated and clear the way to new trends

Yes today’s rap trend  is largely a response to a lot of 90s kids growing up listening to that music and seeing it as a dominant genre. However music trends are cyclical as time goes by. I for instance saw a lot of pop music growing up, Britney, Jlo, Lady Gaga and even Madonna... I reckon this upcoming decade we may start to feel nostalgic for those sounds and bring it back into fashion... HOPEFULLY :tiffanynod:

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Spicechinodiva said:

If anything. 

I need tove lo to be A list.

I'm tired of Swedish pop being ignored as it's the only one that is really electronic and dark. Like a horror movie score

And Alma please 

Going on from dark... you heard Alma 

I think both worlds collided well on this track the dark the Tove lo and my Alma :yesplease:

Also Legacy and blueprint acts like Madonna,  Mariah Carey will be fine with their commercial flops..

It's actually more difficult to maintain the longevity today. One wrong mistake orove on social media can easily get you cancelled.

It's like what a person said on the podcast.

"MADONNA Can afford to make a social media mistake. She's almost reaching 40 years into her career.. the difference is it's the new acts that can't afford to be caught in a mistake. You're trying to reach an audience as a new artist. You can't afford that. its easier to cancel a person these days. Back then. A scandal happened they just had to do the pr rounds of going to talk shows and own it. Then bam forgiven. That's much harder to do..the internet has made it easy to leak personal information,  to access deleted files..deleting doesn't help. You kinda feel bad for the PR. It's almost like no wonder they leave that new act. It's actually much harder to get forgiveness today than it was 20 or 30 years ago"..

Basically the artists before social media have it easier than the ones who do and really was born with the platform generation.

@JordanMiller

@Roxxy

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, sullivanSP said:

@Spicechinodiva

interesting theory on the “legacy acts” I totally agree, it’s got me worrying... Do you think Britney will be a legacy act ?

:crying1: 
I HOPE NOT 

Britney is a legacy act. 

She set a mold for the industry to copy.

The mandy moores, Jessica Simpsons. All labels wanted their own Britney time. Most disappeard after a few hits..

I mean when Britney auditoned.

She was flat out. There would never be another Madonna. The teen audience wanted Boy bands and acts like the Spice girls. It really was Jive records an independent label at the time. 

That actually believed there was something that the other labels were too focused on what was hot. 

The home of the backstreet boys signed her for an undisclosed 8 studio album deal. 

Most new acts get a 4 album or 6 album deal..never 8. So they really must have saw something there that was worth an 8 album deal contract..

But today I think labels know not to invest in these soundcloud acts too much. 

Cos they put lots of money in to invest in an artist. From promotion,  paying studio time. All albums and acts gets a budget. And that money is a costly loan..so I do feel labels are iffy on offering long term deals with anybody. Cos today's industry. It's either a hit or a miss.

Lil Nas X signed with Columbia. But outside That old town road. He hasn't really built a success. The way Billie has..

He'll be remembered for breaking the record for the longest running #1 single. But in his where are they now? Oprah segment. You just know it's going to mention if it wasn't for streaming and several remixes. The songs popularity would have been a much shorter life span. 

So labels are very iffy on the contractsn i guarantee most new acts are given a singles deal. And a one album deal only happens if the hits keep coming. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Britney is a legacy act. 

She set a mold for the industry to copy.

The mandy moores, Jessica Simpsons. All labels wanted their own Britney time. Most disappeard after a few hits..

I mean when Britney auditoned.

She was flat out. There would never be another Madonna. The teen audience wanted Boy bands and acts like the Spice girls. It really was Jive records an independent label at the time. 

That actually believed there was something that the other labels were too focused on what was hot. 

The home of the backstreet boys signed her for an undisclosed 8 studio album deal. 

Most new acts get a 4 album or 6 album deal..never 8. So they really must have saw something there that was worth an 8 album deal contract..

But today I think labels know not to invest in these soundcloud acts too much. 

Cos they put lots of money in to invest in an artist. From promotion,  paying studio time. All albums and acts gets a budget. And that money is a costly loan..so I do feel labels are iffy on offering long term deals with anybody. Cos today's industry. It's either a hit or a miss.

Lil Nas X signed with Columbia. But outside That old town road. He hasn't really built a success. The way Billie has..

He'll be remembered for breaking the record for the longest running #1 single. But in his where are they now? Oprah segment. You just know it's going to mention if it wasn't for streaming and several remixes. The songs popularity would have been a much shorter life span. 

So labels are very iffy on the contractsn i guarantee most new acts are given a singles deal. And a one album deal only happens if the hits keep coming. 

Hey beautiful, lil nas x to me isn’t someone I consider on a day to day basis. I’m not sure why. Something for me just don’t click. It’s like he’s doesn’t take him self seriously or... I just don’t know :(

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block