What are you reading?

Urbanney

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Britneylandia said:

I was going to say that omg hahaha

I don't have anything against reading, but I've just never liked it, and I hate that the world makes me feel guilty about it :haha:

I just can't keep my attention and feel like I waste too much time (as if I didn't waste time in here lol ). And people always had that misconception that I liked reading, because I always had good grades at school, and I was always afraid/ashamed that they were gonna ask like "what's your favorite book?" only to find out I hadn't read more than 5 (important) books in my life :embarrassed:

And I feel like it's kinda overrated. I mean, I think it helps with, like language or vocabulary, or just to know other ways of thinking, but at the end of the day we're just reading some random person's ideas, without a way to verify if what they're saying it's true or it's based on what. I mean, it depends on what kind of book you're reading, but whether it's something scientific, spiritual, political, or it's some kind of fiction / entertainment, I don't know how it's that any different than watching a video of someone talking about a topic, or as Jordan says, listening to a podcast :yaknow:

I'm more of watching videos, I like these yt channels that talk about specific stuff I never even thought about, there's the It's ok to be Smart channel, SciShow, PBS Eons, etc and many other channels I watch, some are more fun, others are more serious, there's even some ASMR channels that sometimes do this kind of introspective videos that kinda make yourself think about stuff, so idk, I prefer that. I guess I'm more visual. 

It's been such a very long, long, long, long time. That's a Memoirs of a Geisha reference for all you kids out there, hello. :barbie:

The last time I read a book was probably in college. I prefer watching films and shows. I listen to podcasts too. The only "reading" I do is when i'm on Exhale and Billboard.

10 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

I don't have anything against reading, but I've just never liked it, and I hate that the world makes me feel guilty about it :haha:

I just can't keep my attention and feel like I waste too much time (as if I didn't waste time in here lol ). And people always had that misconception that I liked reading, because I always had good grades at school, and I was always afraid/ashamed that they were gonna ask like "what's your favorite book?" only to find out I hadn't read more than 5 (important) books in my life :embarrassed:

And I feel like it's kinda overrated. I mean, I think it helps with, like language or vocabulary, or just to know other ways of thinking, but at the end of the day we're just reading some random person's ideas, without a way to verify if what they're saying it's true or it's based on what. I mean, it depends on what kind of book you're reading, but whether it's something scientific, spiritual, political, or it's some kind of fiction / entertainment, I don't know how it's that any different than watching a video of someone talking about a topic, or as Jordan says, listening to a podcast :yaknow:

I'm more of watching videos, I like these yt channels that talk about specific stuff I never even thought about, there's the It's ok to be Smart channel, SciShow, PBS Eons, etc and many other channels I watch, some are more fun, others are more serious, there's even some ASMR channels that sometimes do this kind of introspective videos that kinda make yourself think about stuff, so idk, I prefer that. I guess I'm more visual. 

And I JUST bought another bookshelf for my hundreds of books :mcorangu:

41 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

And I JUST bought another bookshelf for my hundreds of books :mcorangu:

:haha: I mean, there's nothing wrong with it. But I really think it's not for everybody, and people shouldn't be ashamed for not reading :tear:

I suppose there are certain skills or habits you can force on yourself :yaknow: but I also think that if you have other abilities you should exploit those. I think I'm a better listener, for example, and there's people that just can't keep their attention to someone else talking, like the typical kid in the classroom that would never listen to the teacher or would never go quiet. So everyone just have to find their most suitable way of acquiring knowledge. 

Archived