Charli XCX - 'How I'm Feeling Now' (album discussion)

• Leader
On 5/15/2020 at 9:01 AM, Jayjukebox said:

I LOVEEEEEE me some Charli, BUT this album is very much giving me salt with barely any pepper. Like, she wanted to add some seasoning, but chose not to. Like she was trying to deliver, but did not let the album marinate long enough in all that garlic powder, cayenne pepper, paprika and adobo. It’s a MEH from me.

Ok legit took the words out my mouth. Some of the songs, I am listening like :teigen:

It's too auto-tuned for my taste. I love me some electro-bops, but there's frenetic chaos going on here that on some songs sonically turns me off. 

• Haha 1
15 hours ago, JordanMiller said:

Ok legit took the words out my mouth. Some of the songs, I am listening like :teigen:

It's too auto-tuned for my taste. I love me some electro-bops, but there's frenetic chaos going on here that on some songs sonically turns me off. 

I agree, like her voice sounds wayyy too distorted! 

"Pink Diamond" reminds me of Bjork in the best way possible. Especially the Outro. It starts off like a track from Charli's last record, but then is elevated by its 2nd act which seems to be part of this albums sonic synth-garage aesthetic.

"Forever" combines all of the vulnerable elements of Charli's best mid-tempo ballads. And its some of her most affecting work. It also works as the perfect segue-way into the next track.

"Claws" if you haven't listened to this instant ear worm then what are you waiting for? It's one of her catchiest tunes and like forever it feels sincere as a Robo-romance pop drama. And further cements Charli as one of the most important pop artists of her time.

I think the first couple of songs all mesh and then the wheels start falling off the record.

"7 Years", "Detonate", "Enemy", "Party 4 U" are solid songs.

As a whole its a good project. For what it is and the time it took to record its surprisingly solid. It feels like two steps forward and one step back.  Her last album and mixtape positioned her as a pioneer and this continues that streak but with slightly more mixed results.

If you are fan what are you waiting for?

:kfed:

I always give new Charli a listen BUT she’s very very hit or miss for me. :jl: Hence why I’ve waited till now to give this a listen. I’ve never stanned any of her songs but I can definitely appreciate her as an artist. She definitely has some bops and is unique....

- Pink Diamond = :fran:

- forever = meh.

- Claws is really cool on first listen, it gets tired after a few listens tho. It’s also really anti climatic as it just ends abruptly when you’re expecting more.

- 7 years is cute but nothing special :jl:

- detonate = skip

- enemy is now actually on my playlist, it’s really cool and has an 80’s feel, I like it a lot. 

- I finally understand is solid. 

- C2.0 = skip. Annoying.

- party 4 u = meh

- anthems = no.

- visions = not for me.

so on a whole, enemy is my favourite song and the only song I’ll keep in rotation. Am I getting old or is this just quite a niche style? :makeitrain:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block