Female Song Of The Decade 2010s - Brackets: Round 1

Round 1  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

FEMALE SONG OF THE DECADE 2010s 

BRACKETS

The 2010s were admittedly a monumental year for women in music. We witnessed the rise and fall of many artists as few solidified their status as pop divas last decade. A handful of songs skyrocketed to being classic hits with the oncoming of the digital era supported by the growth of streaming platforms such as YouTube and Spotify. Therefore, to determine the one and only greatest female classic of the decade, I’ve organised a bracket tournament with the biggest female classics of the last decade* and will be conducting regular polls this month for you to vote on. So pick your choices and have fun along the way! Be sure to comment down below our choices in each thread.

The full bracket

7KTnZNV.jpg

*Only songs with a female-lead have been included in the bracket.

ROUND 1

Poll 1

Born This Way - Lady Gaga

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_GAlCP0ThOOi6aCJ0v1l

Debuting at #1 on February 26th, 2011, the titular lead single from Lady Gaga’s second studio album is one of the singer’s instant classics. The lyrics discuss the self-empowerment of minorities including the LGBT community as well as racial minorities, backed by rumbling synth sounds, a humming bass and additional chorus percussion. 

VS

Waka Waka (This Time For Africa) - Shakira

837c307961584d24c46f05cbb78f045e.jpg

Released on 7 May 2010 by Epic Records as the official song of the 2010 FIFA World Cup, "Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)" is a pop song whose lyrics encourage one to aim for their goals like a soldier on a battlefield, peaking at number one on record charts of numerous countries including Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Spain, Italy and Switzerland. To date, it has garnered over 2.4M views on YouTube.

___

Poll 2

Firework Katy Perry

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjUv6cdXfadfBvObKZh-4

A dance-pop self-empowerment anthem with inspirational lyrics, released in October 2010, Firework reached number 1 on the BillboardHot 100 and the top five on 20 charts around the world. It has sold over 10 million copies in the United States, and over 1 million in the United Kingdom, being certified Diamond. It is one of Perry’s most recognisable songs and has 1.2B views on YouTube as of now.

VS

Wrecking Ball - Miley Cyrus

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDiNxOQGvfR2JhGZDtLk0

Wrecking Ball became Cyrus' first number-one single in the United States after the release of its controversial music video. Nine weeks later, the track returned to number one, and consequently had the largest gap between number-one sittings in BillboardHot 100 history within a single chart run. It has sold three million copies in the United States and is a pop ballad which lyrically discusses the deterioration of a relationship. It also broke the vevo 24hr Record views when it came out in August, 2013 and has accumulated upto 1B views.

___

Poll 3

RoarKaty Perry

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQE_0TR6tiiCU-K5xG5aRI

Coming fresh off from her Teenage Dream era, Roar is another one of Perry’s songs centred around standing up for oneself and self-empowerment. It topped charts in many countries including the US and UK. By end of 2013, "Roar" had sold 10M globally and 6M in the US, later certified Diamond. It’s subsequent video with Perry as The Queen Of The Jungle, went on to become the first female video to reach 3B views, still gaining almost a million per day. 

VS

Shake It Off - Taylor Swift

taylor-swift-shake-it-off-single-cover-2

The lead single of her successful album 1989, “Shake It Off" is an uptempo dance-pop track considered to be a departure from Swift's earlier country pop music style. Released in August 2014, it debuted at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 and is Swift's biggest Hot 100 hit to date, staying on the chart for 50 consecutive weeks, being certified Diamond 6 years after release. It’s video has 2.9B views on YouTube and gains 300k daily. It remains a staple of Swift’s discography.

___

Calling all pop/general music fans of exhale to participate in the poll. Poll will close once a given number of votes are enrolled. Be sure to comment your thoughts below and anticipate the next round soon! 

-ILikeChillinWithYou :tiffdrink:

rsz_20200409_145125.jpg.7d50706c00105e6f10a22118980359f7.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please don’t let this flop I have a long way to go with this bracket :tiffdrink:

Also keep in mind you’re all pop music stans over here, not Britney fans so keep all the personal hate aside please vote wisely to which song you think will be more remembered in the coming years and has more quality :tiffdrink:

Also you’re voting for the song, not for the artist :tiffdrink:

I love this thread :sendinglove:

but I see you put "7 rings" up against "thank you next" but Katy's singles are all against other artists' in the first round. :whitneyshade: Maybe you should have stick with putting singles from the same artist or album together for the 1st round :whitneyshade:

Also, are we voting based on what we consider more iconic or what we think had the most impact in general? :beynah: For example only gays care for BTW and think it's iconic while Waka Waka was a global phenomenon.

5 minutes ago, IUSAtonight said:

but I see you put "7 rings" up against "thank you next" but Katy's singles are all against other artists' in the first round. :whitneyshade:

But it was not me who put the songs against each other though :tiffdrink:  The brackets were generated randomly I just put in the songs. Maybe it had to do something with the order I put the songs in because after thank u next I immediately thought of 7 Rings :tiffdrink: I'm sorry it wasn't intentional :tiffdrink: 

10 minutes ago, IUSAtonight said:

Also, are we voting based on what we consider more iconic or what we think had the most impact in general? :beynah: For example only gays care for BTW and think it's iconic while Waka Waka was a global phenomenon.

Well voting for iconicity was what I had in mind considering the bracket will get narrower as it goes ahead but it's totally upto you guys :tiffdrink:

4 minutes ago, ILikeChillinWithYou said:

But it was not me who put the songs against each other though :tiffdrink:  The brackets were generated randomly I just put in the songs. Maybe it had to do something with the order I put the songs in because after thank u next I immediately thought of 7 Rings :tiffdrink: I'm sorry it wasn't intentional :tiffdrink: 

Well, you can still fix the upcoming match-ups, can't you? :whitney:

1 minute ago, ILikeChillinWithYou said:

Well voting for iconicity was what I had in mind considering the bracket will get narrower as it goes ahead but it's totally upto you guys :tiffdrink:

Voted for "Waka waka", as I said before, I don't think anyone else beside the gays cares for or remember BTW, :beynah: "Firework", because although, I like "Wrecking ball" more I don't think it's as remembered and "Shake it off" for the same reason :sipney:

6 minutes ago, ILikeChillinWithYou said:

But then I’ll have to do the brackets all over again :tiffdrink: Shall I swap Royals for Thank U Next so it will be TUN vs Royals and 7 Rings vs Bad Guy? :tiffdrink: 

You can just edit the pic :outwithit: If you don't want same artist' songs together, I would swap 7R or TYN with one of the Taylor Swift singles on the other side, that are up against each other. You can also keep that format and just put Rihanna's, Katy's and Adele's singles together so they can eliminate themselves :outwithit:

Archived