Philadelphia police just announced they are not arresting people who commit "non-violent crimes"

I was just watching a press conference and Philadelphia police announced that they will not be making arrests for non-violent crimes which include burglary.  I hope other cities do NOT take on this rule - very scary.  She even used the example of a person breaking into a shed as not being worthy of arrest at this time. So while y'all are here policing speech, criminals are being given the go-ahead to steal.  SMH.  

Non-violent crimes include the following: 

• All narcotics offenses
  • Theft from persons
  • Retail theft 
  • Theft from auto 
  • Burglary 
  • Vandalism 
  • All bench warrants 
  • Stolen auto 
  • Economic crimes
  • P*****tion

laws.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, rik said:

personally, I don't think people are going to want to risk burglarizing people's homes. this being said, I think it's nice that non-violent crimes are not going to warrant arrests. Black folk and Indigenous persons have been crucified by the law. I think this is likely regulated, and limited to shoplifting, **** use, and yeah. 

Are you saying Black people and Native Americans steal a lot?  You sound very racist 

3 minutes ago, rik said:

no, the exact opposite.  police officers often arrest black people and Indigenous people for non-violent crimes that are often a result of structural circumstance (which again, is out of the control of these minorities) to begin with. What I'm trying to say is, black folks specifically have been arrested for things as silly as using a charcoal BBQ in public parks. Indigenous people are placed on reserves, and are then arrested for protesting against intergovernmental actions that break treaties that reserve land for them only. Both of these 'crimes' are non violent. 

What I meant by mentioning stealing and such was that this was inclusive to a non-violent crime. Given the current state that the world is in, with people fighting over toiletries and such, I don't think it's bad that people will not be arrested for such things. Like stealing necessities to me isn't that big of a deal, particularly if it's from a commercialized chain which takes money away from small business owners to begin with. 

I genuinely brought up race as unrelated to stealing and such. I meant to point out the very horrible injustices that are disguised by legal norms and rhetoric 

So if you looked in your back yard and someone was stealing from your shed, you would just let them?  This is not about race, this is about a civil society. 

5 minutes ago, rik said:

but race is intertwined within civil society and is a structural issue that is inherent to its success? class based problems ARE also race problems. 

I'm not suggesting that it's a good thing for everyone, in fact I think that this could certainly be an issue all around in regards to private property (check out John Locke's Second Treatise of Government). This being said, I think as unfortunate and detrimental as a lack of regulation might be (something which I am hoping IS STILL THE CASE in some capacity), the decision to not arrest anyone for non-violent crimes IS still beneficial to the two minority groups I listed above. I'm looking at this from an intersectional perspective and taking all variables into consideration.

I know it's not ideal, and certainly scary...

You never answered my question... You would let people steal the things you work hard to earn? 

2 minutes ago, rik said:

I did answer your question but perhaps it didn't come across as intended, I do not think that this is an okay or juste situation. It is NOT something  I want, but this is something that is happening in the world at the moment. It is a matter of fact.

I think you should try to hear me out here, I am not trying to insult you or anybody. I am saying that this is so odd given the circumstances that have occurred in the past that would have justified leniency for non-violent crimes committed by habitual **** users and minorities under a lower socio-economic class.  

I have done studies on anarchism and structural crimes, and am doing a master's in Political Economy of international development (sorry to flex, i don't think i am top ****... it's just discussions like these are essential to my degree) 

https://www.asanet.org/sites/default/files/savvy/images/press/docs/pdf/ASARaceCrime.pdfhttps://www.cambridge.org/core/books/violent-crime/structuralcultural-perspective-a-theory-of-black-male-violence/9055716738B059BF92B888AE47C2954C

I have read your responses over and over and it seems that your thought process is too complicated for you to come to your own conclusion to formulate a precise response.  You don't think it's right to steal but you don't think it's right to arrest people for stealing - that's what I gather from your response. 

10 minutes ago, rik said:

the fact that property rights and **** possession were both included in this is what I'm trying to get at. the fact that people are being told my celebrities to stay at home (im looking at hilary duff who is saying that people are selfish if they aren't staying at home, which i agree with but again because of this capitalist property mongering society that has been naturalized, people HAVE to sacrifice their health for income which sucks) when they have to go to work and risk getting sick is classist. this is a large scale issue and imo it was 'resolved' unethically 

I understand this sentiment - I do agree that **** arrests being lowered to citations temporarily would be okay but people will still just flee the state while they can.  I have to be at work as well, so I agree with that too.  

5 minutes ago, rik said:

in a situation where people are buying toilet paper in bulk and preventing lower socioeconomic classes from obtaining necessities? I'm not generalizing all non- violent crimes. I was looking specifically at stealing in this instance from big commercial chain stores which again, take money away from individual business owners. This is going to turn into a discussion about neoliberalism and the structural injustices that emerge in response. I don't think stealing is morally correct, but I understand why the legal system has some other things to deal with at the moment in time. 

I struggle with preciseness, I agree. I'm sorry if I've offended anyone i just genuinely think this is so important 

Its okay to be on the fence about issues, just remember not to generalize groups of people.  You seem very smart and I am sure you will notice further inequities once you are out of college and into the workforce. 

I didn't even think about *****. Not arresting for possession I totally support, actually. :ponderney: I know it's not as black & white as saying that people should be able to do whatever the heck they want as long as they're not directly hurting anybody, and I realise that it's a multi-layered issue (like an onion, hi, Shrek :duadance:), but overall I don't think people should get arrested for possession. Especially psychedelics and ****. ****** and ****, maybe. :bedtime:

Totally get it. I think what @rik is trying to say is this is good because there are far bigger issues and having this law in place benefits these two minority groups. This law is not ideal and it certainly needs to be regulated and finetuned but it's a step in the right direction for minorities who are literally the ones who are mostly arrested for these 'crimes'. Not because they deserve it. For this reason, is why the argument on "stealing from someone else's backyard" trivial. These things are so freaking petty and even without a law in place, people would not risk the embarrassment of getting caught stealing a pot from their neighbors. It is social suicide. These are petty crimes that happen yes but not as much and certainly not as unfair as arresting a minority over using charcoal for BBQs or whatever.

33 minutes ago, rik said:

Dude honestly my profs talk about my preceisness too, so I understand where you’re coming from (so does the queer baiting guy that I’m into when we text and I send him huge paragraphs). Also, you clearly are intelligent as well for being up to date on this! I love you always jordeezy, and I’m glad we can have political debates in a respectful manner. 💚 I know we both have good intentions and want the best for all people, including lower socioeconomic classes and the subsequent variables that fall within those groups (again, generalized but yes). 

Love u

Aww you are sweet - I know you are not racist but I just wanted you to reword your original post because I did not want people to read you wrong.  I love our eclectic group of people here.  Remember - never victimize yourself out of fear of victimizing another.   If you work for it, you deserve it. 

• Leader
1 hour ago, Urbanney said:

The only situation in which I might be ok with this is **** possession. Stealing not being illegal... yikes. I’m scared for those that live there. This will lead to so much corruption. Why did they do this? 

Yea. The stealing really freaks me out.

Someone threw a brick through one of my friend's window last week in the middle of the afternoon while they were home. The robbers got scared off (assuming they thought no one was home). Ughhh. 

6 minutes ago, jordeezy said:

I shared an article - the offenses were added by someone else.  I did not include that in my original post. @JordanMiller added that.

oh gotcha, They tweeted that they will not turn a blind eye. But I can see them not having time for everything.  They said they were not doing parking meters yesterday, and asked people to not hog the spaces. lol yeah, right.. I am not leaving my house. :)

it seems like you get a ticket and have to answer for it at another time like a warrant.

Archived