Britney chose Toxic instead of (I got that) Boom Boom

britneymegamix

On 3/11/2020 at 9:22 AM, britneymegamix said:

OK, it seems that fans love to highlight this thing ... :heresthetea:

However, what's the evidence? Where is it? Who said that? :heresthetea:

I find it very unlikely. NOT because Britney doesn't have taste, but just because Toxic is objectively a bop, her team was surely aware of that. It's the strongest song from that album. Boom boom could never, even a deaf person would know that. :heresthetea:

Do you have any evidence? By "evidence" I mean something relevant. If she/someone else from her team said that during an interview or whatever it's not enough ... Otherwise we should take for granted that Beatrice John is her most personal album, that she always sings live, that she was a virgin, that FF Tour and the Vegas show were her most challenging shows ever ... Should I continue?:heresthetea:

Britney is still a legend, even if she didn't choose Toxic or directly inspired the idea for BOMT's MV. Fans should stop to claim things without evidences. :heresthetea:

On 3/11/2020 at 9:39 AM, ILikeChillinWithYou said:

I know Wikipedia is not the most reliable source, but on Toxic's wiki page

And then on Outrageous's wiki page

On 3/11/2020 at 9:52 AM, Isla said:

Hmm pretty sure I remember reading (at least on that unreleleased fansite) that Jive wanted Boom Boom as the second single, but Britney convinced them to release Toxic - which was obviously the right choice. And they also had it on hold for third/fourth single but Britney chose Everytime for the third single and then Jive went with Outrageous as fourth single when it was chosen as the theme for Catwoman.

Boom Boom would have worked as a single a bit later on in the campaign, maybe instead of Outrageous.

On 3/11/2020 at 1:57 PM, Dark.Knight said:

I'm sure there was some sort of release because I remember reading it in 2003 and she was the one who wanted Toxic

On 3/11/2020 at 3:19 PM, SuperRhaj said:

It was the label who wanted Boom Boom. The song was certainly promoted over Toxic for the release of the album.

Also, on the last few seconds, does anyone else hear her say "what was that!"? 10:22

On 3/11/2020 at 4:21 PM, jordeezy said:

I just don't understand Jive's love for "Outrageous".

On 3/11/2020 at 8:19 PM, MeAgainstTheMusic_ said:

I’m pretty sure I Got That Boom Boom was meant to be the first single but Britney insisted on MATM. She touches on it in the 2003 TMF interview but doesn’t actually say what song the label wanted to go with. But I’m positive it was IGTBB. 

MATM is my fav single with the dancing and ugh just the whole vibe I love it :prettyney: But I think Toxic should have launched the album then Everytime, Breathe on Me, Touch of My Hand. There were so many possible singles from that album. 

Now this whole story is a bit convoluted but it goes something like this, in late 2002 / early 2003 it was first reported that allegedly Jive wanted to release Shadow as the first single since at the time Britney had recorded at least over 20 songs and they were thinking about releasing the album then but they were unsure about the sound of the album so they made her record new songs

https://www.mtv.com/news/1470380/whos-been-hooking-up-with-britney-we-got-em-to-talk/

Then, right around the same time in mid 2003 she recorded Me Against the Music and Outrageous with RedZone and R. Kelly respectively. While Britney wanted to release Me Against the Music as the first single, the label wanted to go with Outrageous as they had reached an agreement with R. Kelly in which she needed to release the song as a single at one point in order for her to actually record it to which she agreed in exchange of also releasing one of her favourites (Breathe on Me, Early Mornin' and Touch of My Hand) in the future. She never wanted to neither record the song nor work with R. Kelly which really angered her and subsequently strained the relationship between her and the label. In an attempt to change their minds she tried remixing the song several times and tried to get as many artists and producers to hop on the song as possible with OutKast being the only ones confirmed

When asked about this in an interview Big Boi of Outkast said he worked on the remix but it "couldn't gel", referring to possible label problems. Andre 3000 replied saying "I'd marry her though!" (AOL Sessions, February 11, 2004)

Other artists like 50 Cent were also rumoured at one point

In November 2003 radio station 96.5 The Heat said Britney recorded a hip-hop remix of "Me Against The Music" with 50 Cent

As the album was nearing completion Jive were still unsure about which song off the album to release as the lead single so they got Britney to record one more song which was (I Got That) Boom Boom. It has been speculated that they paid thousand of dollars for the Ying Yang Twins feature as they hoped the song would easily be a hit. Although Britney liked it she still preferred Me Against the Music so after the VMAs she asked Madonna for a feature. Ultimately they complied with Britney's choice since taking advantage of the controversy their kiss had gained was a no-brainer

After that they still wanted to release Boom Boom as they had already spent a ton of money on it so they began approaching directors for music video treatmeants. Simultaneously Britney came up with the concept for the Toxic video while promoting the album overseas and even though she had agreed at first to release Boom Boom as the second single she changed her mind so she persuaded them to release Toxic instead to which they also agreed

This would happen once again when they were readying to finally release Boom Boom as the third single now remixed by Collipark yet again hoping the song would fare well in the "urban" market

Britney knowing that she had manged to get away with her choices not only once but twice opted for Everytime instead which they would also get on with as Toxic had been proven to be a massive success

It's nearly summer of 2004 and Catwoman is about to hit cinemas nationwide and they need a song to tie in with the film. Originally they meant to use Young Gunz's Grown Man Pt. 2 but they decided to pick Outrageous at the last minute.

E4-D7521-C-512-B-45-B8-9-D2-F-1-A91-A5805-E72.jpg

This of course hugely benefited Jive as they already were contractually obligated to release the song in the first place. They quickly began plans to promote the song and sent several mixes of the song to different radio stations. While the album version would be the one released as a single they asked Junkie XL to remix the song in order to include it on the film based on his Tribal mix

Furthermore it was rumoured that a different version of the Dancehall mix was also used on early trailers and was meant to be released as the single version at one point but this was never confirmed

While we all know what eventually happened and most importantly how overworked Britney was at the time, it was such a missed opportunity considering the plans they had for her career incluiding releasing Boom Boom and Breathe on Me to coincide with the album re-release in late 2004 / early 2005, and a tour extension which was meant to visit countries like India and China.  Not only that but she was also offered multiple film roles aswell

https://popdirt.com/top-secret-jive-marketing-plan-for-2003/

This took me longer than I expected but that's it really :deadbanana:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, PlayboiMommy said:

Now this whole story is a bit convoluted but it goes something like this, in late 2002 / early 2003 it was first reported that allegedly Jive wanted to release Shadow as the first single since at the time Britney had recorded at least over 20 songs and they were thinking about releasing the album then but they were unsure about the sound of the album so they made her record new songs

https://www.mtv.com/news/1470380/whos-been-hooking-up-with-britney-we-got-em-to-talk/

Then, right around the same time in mid 2003 she recorded Me Against the Music and Outrageous with RedZone and R. Kelly respectively. While Britney wanted to release Me Against the Music as the first single, the label wanted to go with Outrageous as they had settled an agreement with R. Kelly in which she needed to release the song as a single at one point in order for her to actually record it to which she agreed in exchange of also releasing one of her favourites (Breathe on Me, Early Mornin' and Touch of My Hand) in the future. She never wanted to neither record the song nor work with R. Kelly which really angered her and subsequently strained the relationship between her and the label. In an attempt to change their minds she tried remixing the song several times and tried to get as many artists and producers to hop on the song as possible with OutKast being the only ones confirmed

Reveal hidden contents

In November 2003 radio station 96.5 The Heat said Britney recorded a hip-hop remix of "Me Against The Music" with 50 Cent

As the album was nearing completion Jive were still unsure about which song to release as the lead single so they got Britney to record one final song for the album which was (I Got That) Boom Boom. It has been speculated that they paid thousand of dollars for the Ying Yang Twins feature as they hoped the song would easily be a hit. Although Britney liked the song she still preferred Me Against the Music so after the VMAs she asked Madonna for a feature. Ultimately they complied with Britney's choice since taking advantage of the controversy their kiss had gained was a no-brainer

After that they still wanted to release Boom Boom as they had already spent a ton of money for it so they began approaching directors for music video treatmeants. Simultaneously Britney came up with the concept for the Toxic video while promoting the album overseas and even though she had agreed at first to release Boom Boom as the second single she changed her mind so she persuaded them to release Toxic instead to which they also agreed

This would happen once again when they were readying to finally release Boom Boom as the third single now remixed by Collipark yet again hoping the song would fare well in the "urban" market

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXM5KRT8S3g

Britney knowing that she had manged to get away with her choices not only once but twice decided opted for Everytime instead which they would also accept as Toxic had been proven to be a massive success

It's nearly summer of 2004 and Catwoman is about to hit cinemas nationwide and they need a song to tie in with the film. Originally they meant to use Young Gunz's Grown Man Pt. 2 but they decided to pick Outrageous at the last time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDvipjgDNDk

This of course hugely benefited Jive as they already were contractually obligated to release the song in the first place. They quickly began plans to promote the song and sent several mixes of the song to different radio stations. While the album version would be the one released as a single they asked Junkie XL to remix the song in order to include it on the film based on his Tribal mix

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/byh4hc/club_scene_in_catwoman_2004_with_britney_spears/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqbRFy1FTzM

Furthermore it was rumoured that a different version of the Dancehall mix was also used on early trailers and was meant to be released as the single version at one point but this was never confirmed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tswC9yl1vc

While we all know what eventually happened and most importantly how overworked Britney was at the time, it was such a missed opportunity considering the plans they had for her career incluiding releasing Boom Boom or Breathe on Me to coincide with the album re-release in late 2004 / early 2005, and a tour extension which was meant to visit countries like India and China.  Not only that but she was also offered multiple film roles aswell

Oh wow! Thank you so much for this, I kinda knew some of this from the unreleased fansite (I miss it SO MUCH, it was so detailed) but there was a few little things I didn't know. I had no idea Boom Boom was recorded at the last minute. I'm sure had Britney not injured her knee during the Outrageous video shoot more singles would have been released from In the Zone, that definitely seemed like the plan at the time. And of course, she was meant to continue the Onyx Hotel Tour; I remember reading the rumours of her taking the tour to China and India. God her career could have turned out a bit differently...

All I know is that it is a crime against humanity that Breathe On Me was never a single.

Resting in peace with

•  I Will Be There
  • Can't Make You Love Me
  • Cinderella
  • Ooh Ooh Baby
  • Unusual You
  • Up N' Down
  • Til It's Gone
  • Change Your Mind (No Seas Cortes)

as the bops that never got their chance to shine.

If only we could get a revisited compilation where they all get a music video as part of a visual album with Rebellion thrown in.

If I were a celebrity with that much of a catalog I think I'd do something like that as a thank you to my fans.

You also have to remember that dance-pop, or just pop music in general, during late 2003 and 2004 wasn't a trend like how it became during the latter of the decade. If you look at most of the songs that were topping the charts, at least in the U.S., it was mostly urban, hip-hop and an occasional pop-rock tune. That was what was in and a part of why ITZ was/is her most urban sounding album to date.

At the time, I don't think her label prioritized 'Toxic' because they weren't sure if it was going to fit the mold with what was currently trending then. They probably wanted to pick songs that would give her more exposure to the urban market and rebrand her image to a wider demographic.

'Boom Boom' & 'Outrageous' were still pretty solid songs and definitely two of the strongest single contenders on the album. The hard-drum beat/crunk influence in 'Boom Boom' and the signature R. Kelly rhythm in 'Outrageous' were very popular sounds and styles then so I can understand why her label prioritized these two. 

As much as I love 'BB' and 'Outrageous', I'm beyond thankful Britney went with her instinct and released 'Toxic' instead because it obviously aged the best from ITZ and stood the test of time as a major pop staple.  It was unique, different and sounded like nothing else then so in theory, it's safe to say that it was ahead of its time and holds a legacy of its own.  :katybelt:

8 hours ago, PlayboiMommy said:

Then, right around the same time in mid 2003 she recorded Me Against the Music and Outrageous with RedZone and R. Kelly respectively. While Britney wanted to release Me Against the Music as the first single, the label wanted to go with Outrageous as they had reached an agreement with R. Kelly in which she needed to release the song as a single at one point in order for her to actually record it to which she agreed in exchange of also releasing one of her favourites (Breathe on Me, Early Mornin' and Touch of My Hand) in the future. She never wanted to neither record the song nor work with R. Kelly which really angered her and subsequently strained the relationship between her and the label. In an attempt to change their minds she tried remixing the song several times and tried to get as many artists and producers to hop on the song as possible with OutKast being the only ones confirmed

Reveal hidden contents

As the alb um was nearing completion Jive were still unsure about which song off the album to release as the lead single so they got Britney to record one more song which was (I Got That) Boom Boom. It has been speculated that they paid thousand of dollars for the Ying Yang Twins feature as they hoped the song would easily be a hit. Although Britney liked it she still preferred Me Against the Music so after the VMAs she asked Madonna for a feature. Ultimately they complied with Britney's choice since taking advantage of the controversy their kiss had gained was a no-brainer

After that they still wanted to release Boom Boom as they had already spent a ton of money on it so they began approaching directors for music video treatmeants. Simultaneously Britney came up with the concept for the Toxic video while promoting the album overseas and even though she had agreed at first to release Boom Boom as the second single she changed her mind so she persuaded them to release Toxic instead to which they also agreed

Britney knowing that she had manged to get away with her choices not only once but twice opted for Everytime instead which they would also get on with as Toxic had been proven to be a massive success

It's nearly summer of 2004 and Catwoman is about to hit cinemas nationwide and they need a song to tie in with the film. Originally they meant to use Young Gunz's Grown Man Pt. 2 but they decided to pick Outrageous at the last minute.

While we all know what eventually happened and most importantly how overworked Britney was at the time, it was such a missed opportunity considering the plans they had for her career incluiding releasing Boom Boom or Breathe on Me to coincide with the album re-release in late 2004 / early 2005, and a tour extension which was meant to visit countries like India and China.  Not only that but she was also offered multiple film roles aswell

Interesting read omg never knew Big Boi from Outkast was considering to get on a remix of Outrageous. My guess is that she probably didn't like Outrageous as much because it was a very self-indulging/hypersexualized track, not to mention the whole R. Kelly controversy, which is probably why she was trying to get as many rappers as she could on it as possible. In retrospect, it truly amazes me to this day how right on/in-tune britney's instincts were and how ahead of her time she was. She knew what would span longevity which obviously explains why she remains one of the most celebrated pop artists ever. 

I love hearing about the goings on in Britney’s career round about ITZ. I love to hear that strong woman inside her come out to play. She was so powerful and fought her corner as to what she thought was right for her career. She had the fire to shut down her record company and tell them what she wanted. She took risks but deep down I always like what she came up with. 

MATM was risky. I love the song personally but it was a huge risk when there were more obvious choices on the album but I think that’s why I like it so much. 

Toxic was the natural single choice as was Everytime but really I think Toxic could have led the album with Breathe On Me being second single and Everytime 3rd but honestly there were so many great songs on ITZ. Very unusual songs which would have made interesting single choices. 

I think by 2003/2004 she was on fire and wasn’t willing to be shut down and told what to release and that’s what I miss from her. This was at a time where she was getting tired of being controlled.

16 hours ago, ItsLiamb**** said:

Someone who worked for MTV at the time said that after trying to choose between I Got That Boom Boom and Outrageous, Brit went with Toxic (read this on Wikipedia)

That was already cited earlier on in this thread...

Archived