What is your favorite Mariah Carey album?

bitbitboi

So WHILE BRITNEY IS AWAY and I'm alone and bored and I'm trying to find the meaning of life (joking not joking), I found a Mariah CD on sale in a shop and so I bought it because it was cheap and because I wanted to start getting into her music in some way and *Janice voice* OH...MY...GAWD. It was a fantastic listening experience. A vocal rollercoaster. The album was fun. And soulful. And also catchy and very well produced. I'm talking about (grab yourselves, the title is cringy and all sorts of awful) "Me. I Am Mariah... The Elusive Chanteuse" (I had to check three times so I didn't make any typing mistakes...ugh it's ridiculous) from 2014.

I listened to it many times and I truly think it's impecable. So I went online to read some reviews and I was shocked to see music critics and fans (well, honestly, I wasn't able to find a single MC forum or fansite, what's up with that? Am I that bad at googling, or are her fans too old for the internet?) being unimpressed and almost dismissing it completely from her best work. Look, everybody has their own personal taste, but I can assure you it's a good album. It sounds great. She sounds great.

So now I want to know what you guys think of it and the rest of her albums... if you ever listened to one of them before. After listening to this one, I went to Spotify and played her whole discography. It may not be her very best work (I couldn't give a trustworthy opinion because I'm late to the party) but it's definitely near the top to me. I'm talking ALBUM wise. Her best singles are in her earliest discs for sure, as it's the case with most big artists.

I was going to ask you to RANK all her studio albums so far, but since they are so many (FIFTEEN!), and most probably the majority of Exhalers are too young to know them all (or even like them omg), maybe you can share your favorite ones?

Anyway, here I made a collage with all her 15 studio albums, including her two Christmas albums because well, who's Santa Claus when Mariah is still alive?

I was also going to ask you which ones are your favorite album covers because I love photography and graphic design, but that would make this thread a mess, hah! Feel free to do it too though if you want, of course!

Also, I heard she's recording her 16th album, so if you're a pop music fan, you should get ready.

MC-studio-album-covers.jpg

- 01: Mariah Carey (1990)
- 02: Emotions (1991)
- 03: Music Box (1993)
- 04: Merry Christmas (1994)
- 05: Daydream (1995)
- 06: Butterfly (1997)
- 07: Rainbow (1999)
- 08: Glitter (2001)
- 09: Charmbracelet (2002)
- 10: The Emancipation of Mimi (2005)
- 11: E=MC² (2008)
- 12: Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel (2009)
- 13: Merry Christmas II You (2010)
- 14: Me. I Am Mariah... The Elusive Chanteuse (2014)
- 15: Caution (2018)

PS: If you read everything I kinda love you? I'm sorry I talk/type too much... 0.0 

mariah-carey-albums.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I didn't think Chanteuse was that bad, I also think it's not her best. And it's not your fault to think that it's one of her best. Your introductory album to an artist's discography will always have a lasting impact with you. I could say the same with Rainbow which was my first Mariah album. I asked my mom to buy it for me in 2000 because I was obsessed with the Heartbreaker videoTo me, it's up there even if I know it's not one of the best.

I've never thought of ranking her albums even if I'm very familiar with her music and I own 7 of them. This is the first time i'm doing this. Here goes. I'm ready for the drags. :yesokay:

1. Daydream
2. Butterfly
3. Music Box
4. Rainbow
5. Glitter
6. The Emancipation of Mimi
7. E=MC²
8. Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel
9. Emotions
10. Me. I Am Mariah. The Elusive Chanteuse
11. Caution
12. Mariah Carey
13. Charmbracelet

I have to pick one???

Ok...before Britney came into my life I had Mariah. She is probably...my second Queen hehe. 

1. Butterfly - is probably my favorite. It has one of my favorite Mariah tracks (My All) and my mom and I used to sing it in the car together. I also like that she really went against what her label wanted her to be during this era. Her music video for Honey with Puff Daddy (at the time) and Mase turned heads haha. The Roof is a lamb fav along with The Fourth of July. Breakdown is a fav and she really gave fans a piece of herself in Close My Eyes. The album as a whole is a gem. 

2.  Daydream - a lot of fans say that butterfly is when Mariah started to go against her pop roots but she did it on this album. Fantasy is another fav track of mine. One sweet day is on here along with the anthem Always be my baby. 

3. The Emancipation of Mimi - like oh my gawd. As soon as I heard “its like that” i was like...Mariah is coming back for everyone! The album as a whole bleeds together track by track. Its a defining moment in her career with We Belong Together and Shake it off BUT its not my number one favorite. 

I’d say that Caution is my 4th but it just came out last year. I still listen to the others so we’ll see how it ages but its very classic Mariah.

There are some songs on other albums that standout too. 

Honorable Mention Tracks 

1. Make it happen

2. Side effects

3. Crybaby

4. Without you

5. Through the rain

1. butterfly - this one forms a holy quartet w/ velvet rope, ray of light, and impossible princess. honey is like, top three songs for me of all time, the roof is legendary, breakdown and babydoll are also legendary, my all and fourth of july are classics, fly away and close my eyes and butterfly are timeless pieces of art...such a good album honestly, her mind...amazes me

2. daydream - fantasy schooled the girls on how to sample a song. always be my baby is the warmest sounding song of all time. long ago, melt away, slipping away (justice 4 this track), and forever....CLASSICS

3. caution - title track is her best song in a decade. first time it's felt like she's really experimenting in long long time

4. emancipation of mimi

5. rainbow

6. glitter

7. emotions

8. charmbracelet

9. e=mc^2

10. music box

11. mariah carey

12. elusive chanteuse 

13. memoirs of an imperfect angel

i find it hard to compare her christmas albums to her others but her og christmas album is a classic 

10 hours ago, Roxxy said:

While I didn't think Chanteuse was that bad, I also think it's not her best. And it's not your fault to think that it's one of her best. Your introductory album to an artist's discography will always have a lasting impact with you. I could say the same with Rainbow which was my first Mariah album. I asked my mom to buy it for me in 2000 because I was obsessed with the Heartbreaker videoTo me, it's up there even if I know it's not one of the best.

I've never thought of ranking her albums even if I'm very familiar with her music and I own 7 of them. This is the first time i'm doing this. Here goes. I'm ready for the drags. :yesokay:

1. Daydream
2. Butterfly
3. Music Box
4. Rainbow
5. Glitter
6. The Emancipation of Mimi
7. E=MC²
8. Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel
9. Emotions
10. Me. I Am Mariah. The Elusive Chanteuse
11. Caution
12. Mariah Carey
13. Charmbracelet

You're right about that!! Actually, I bought "Rainbow" when it came out and it definitely still has a special place in my heart, like you said. And then someone gave me "#1's", and that blew me away of course. But after that I never listened to any other full album of hers, not even after getting familiar with all of her amazing hits, nor did I really pay attention to her afterwards. That's why the "Me..." album is special to me too. It almost felt like getting to know her all over again. But see what I mean? You placed it in the 10th position!! That's crazy to me...

9 hours ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

2.  Daydream - a lot of fans say that butterfly is when Mariah started to go against her pop roots but she did it on this album. Fantasy is another fav track of mine. One sweet day is on here along with the anthem Always be my baby.

I’d say that Caution is my 4th but it just came out last year. I still listen to the others so we’ll see how it ages but its very classic Mariah.

Thank you for your reply and especially for these thoughts, I agree about Daydream being so special for being the "originator" of her true sound, and just for those two songs alone!!

8 hours ago, NormaJeanSpears said:

1. butterfly - this one forms a holy quartet w/ velvet rope, ray of light, and impossible princess. honey is like, top three songs for me of all time, the roof is legendary, breakdown and babydoll are also legendary, my all and fourth of july are classics, fly away and close my eyes and butterfly are timeless pieces of art...such a good album honestly, her mind...amazes me

2. daydream - fantasy schooled the girls on how to sample a song. always be my baby is the warmest sounding song of all time. long ago, melt away, slipping away (justice 4 this track), and forever....CLASSICS

3. caution - title track is her best song in a decade. first time it's felt like she's really experimenting in long long time

4. emancipation of mimi

5. rainbow

6. glitter

7. emotions

8. charmbracelet

9. e=mc^2

10. music box

11. mariah carey

12. elusive chanteuse 

13. memoirs of an imperfect angel

i find it hard to compare her christmas albums to her others but her og christmas album is a classic 

Number 12! I mean I respect all your lists but daaamn.... I was right. The "Me..." album always gets pushed to the side! Maybe the era in general wasn't so appealing, or her personal life at the moment distracted from her music? Not sure.

1 hour ago, IUSAtonight said:

#beautiful, Thirsty, Meteorite, You're mine, You don't know what to do....it's a good album for sure.

YESSS!!! Thank you.

PS: "CAUTION" IS AMAZING. And it came out in 2018. Honestly, she's doing a great job, I hate the fact that she gets so little attention.

22 minutes ago, bitbitboi said:

You're right about that!! Actually, I bought "Rainbow" when it came out and it definitely still has a special place in my heart, like you said. And then someone gave me "#1's", and that blew me away of course. But after that I never listened to any other full album of hers, not even after getting familiar with all of her amazing hits, nor did I really pay attention to her afterwards. That's why the "Me..." album is special to me too. It almost felt like getting to know her all over again. But see what I mean? You placed it in the 10th position!! That's crazy to me...

Oh... that's right. You're older than me. :haha: Of course you have Rainbow. I thought Chanteuse was your first album. :bcutelaugh: but b-tch you put it in 7th?! :rupaulslap: So much for it always having a special place in your heart. :joanne: I can't believe you slept on her during her second peak which was the Emancipation all the way to Memoirs. Where have you been?!? :flop:

3 hours ago, Roxxy said:

Oh... that's right. You're older than me. :haha: Of course you have Rainbow. I thought Chanteuse was your first album. :bcutelaugh: but b-tch you put it in 7th?! :rupaulslap: So much for it always having a special place in your heart. :joanne: I can't believe you slept on her during her second peak which was the Emancipation all the way to Memoirs. Where have you been?!? :flop:

hahaha yes I'm older, that's why I'm wiser and I'm telling you "I Am Her the Mariah Chanteausueausee Da Elusive Singer. Me, Myself and I" should be higher on your list!! And omg no? I just listed all her studio albums IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER. And that makes "Rainbow" her seventh :rupaulslap: But yes you're right, I slept on her on her second coming..... :( I mean obviously I was aware of everything that was going on because her songs and videos were thrown at me from all over the place, but I didn't really care much, honestly. But now that I revisited those singles and listened to all those albums, I'm not that impressed with the production, really... To me, many of those songs now sound dated (something which does NOT happen with her earlier singles) or are typical of the time they were released, too attached to the reigning sound back then. But "Chateause" and "Caution" are recent and they sound fantastic!!

22 minutes ago, bitbitboi said:

hahaha yes I'm older, that's why I'm wiser and I'm telling you "I Am Her the Mariah Chanteausueausee Da Elusive Singer. Me, Myself and I" should be higher on your list!! And omg no? I just listed all her studio albums IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER. And that makes "Rainbow" her seventh :rupaulslap: But yes you're right, I slept on her on her second coming..... :( I mean obviously I was aware of everything that was going on because her songs and videos were thrown at me from all over the place, but I didn't really care much, honestly. But now that I revisited those singles and listened to all those albums, I'm not that impressed with the production, really... To me, many of those songs now sound dated (something which does NOT happen with her earlier singles) or are typical of the time they were released, too attached to the reigning sound back then. But "Chateause" and "Caution" are recent and they sound fantastic!!

Oh right. I'm a dumb b-tch. You did list them in CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER. :haha:

Well you should regret it even more now that it's become dated. Because you missed the period in time when it was EVERYTHING. Mimi all the way to Memoirs was such a good time to be a Mariah stan - atleast for those of us not born in the mid 80s and were too young during her first peak. :bcutelaugh:

So what is your ranking??? :jj:

Archived