Was Make Me Britney's worst career decision?

ralphcornio

I blame the 'Make Me' era for many of this fan base's disappointments with Glory era.

• It was the first time she didn't deliver a instant classic for a lead single (even Work ***** was)
  • It was her first downtempo single (unusual, not what she's known for / best at)
  • The music video was a FIASCO, and arguably the worst she ever put out
  • It certainly didn't represent well how good the album actually was, and that diminished Glory's true potential in GP eyes
  • It was responsible for her weakest awards show performance ever
  • It simply lacked the potential for becoming a hit, where there were better songs in the album that could have easily done better

Was it her worst move and 'single' era ever since thinking Femme Fatale as a whole was a good idea? :pieceofwhat:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that rushing Britney Jean out in time for POM, which was probably the reason for all the issues with it, was a terrible idea. (It’s not like she performed any tracks that hadn’t been released yet anyway). 

Not touring for Glory, packaging it with the tickets, releasing more singles was also unfortunate. Make Me... was a disaster, but I think it was a great single choice, I think it does represent the album, quite well. Letting Glory flop was the worst “decision” (series of missed opportunities)

6 minutes ago, OopsOverprotected said:

I agree with you on everything,

but FemmeFatale had great singles!!!

But it's still a very bad decision. The whole era should have been postponed, every time I see any clip from the music videos, interviews or the tour from that time it makes me sad, Britney is nothing but a robot, a puppet or a zombie reading from a teleprompter, she has no soul during 2010 - 2012 clips, it's very very sad.

No, even though I think other songs could've worked better as lead singles (DYWCO especially) MM wasn't THAT bad. The bad decision was not releasing the original video PLUS releasing what they released (they shouldn't have released anything instead).

I'm not a fan of slow songs as singles and especially for the lead, but it could've worked had they made the commitment of creating a full era with this artsy-fartsy vibe, by releasing MM, Invitation, Mood Ring, etc, and then finish it off with DYWCO, Better, CYM, or any other more uptempo song. Otherwise it just looks like they made a mistake, they noticed, and didn't know how to repair it.

4 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

No, even though I think other songs could've worked better as lead singles (DYWCO especially) MM wasn't THAT bad. The bad decision was not releasing the original video PLUS releasing what they released (they shouldn't have released anything instead).

I'm not a fan of slow songs as singles and especially for the lead, but it could've worked had they made the commitment of creating a full era with this artsy-fartsy vibe, by releasing MM, Invitation, Mood Ring, etc, and then finish it off with DYWCO, Better, CYM, or any other more uptempo song. Otherwise it just looks like they made a mistake, they noticed, and didn't know how to repair it.

This.... :bedtime:

MM is a great song, and we got vocalney, slutney, and moodney... is a beautiful song :mcwave:

32 minutes ago, The Greatest Show said:

Britney Jean and the last 2 years of POM were worse. Make me was a good song but the promo was bad and the music video didnt help.

She has had weaker awardshow performances imo

Ew for all of that. I wouldn't know tho, I'm not a fan of BOMTney or OOpsney anyway, rarely watch stuff from those eras :mhm:

32 minutes ago, The Greatest Show said:

Britney Jean and the last 2 years of POM were worse. Make me was a good song but the promo was bad and the music video didnt help.

I thought these performances were after she hurt her knee so she couldn't dance very well. Even with the minimal choreography, it's still good. 

39 minutes ago, The Greatest Show said:

I love the vocals in the Cher tribute performance.

I feel like the 2016 VMA's were way more disappointing, mainly because of her legacy there and the opportunity she had to really make an impact on a large scale again. Instead, we got half baked choreography and inexcusable lipping - even if her energy was great.

For me, aside from rehiring Larry, a lot of her worst career decisions were between 2011-2013. Glory could have been so much more than it was, but at least it wasn't embarrassing.

3 minutes ago, Alexa said:

I love the vocals in the Cher tribute performance.

I feel like the 2016 VMA's were way more disappointing, mainly because of her legacy there and the opportunity she had to really make an impact on a large scale again. Instead, we got half baked choreography and inexcusable lipping - even if her energy was great.

For me, aside from rehiring Larry, a lot of her worst career decisions were between 2011-2013. Glory could have been so much more than it was, but at least it wasn't embarrassing.

The issue with the VMAs was including the horrible Me, myself, and I bebe rexha song... they should have added DYWCO with the POM choreo, good energy and visual and it woulda been much better

20 minutes ago, The Greatest Show said:

pretty much all of her early performances were like this because she was mostly singing live. Before and after her knee injury.

Yeah you're right about that. It did take some time for her dancing skills to get built back up but I still love those 90's/2000's performances :clap:

8 minutes ago, 3isacharm said:

The issue with the VMAs was including the horrible Me, myself, and I bebe rexha song... they should have added DYWCO with the POM choreo, good energy and visual and it woulda been much better

I agree, the second half of the performance was more of a showcase for G-Eazy than Britney's new material. I'm just surprised she went and laid down vocals for that, I can imagine the backlash if she'd lipped to Bebe's version :ohdear:

Archived