Guardian:"Victim? Survivor? After 20 years of Britney Spears, the jury’s still out“

ColdAsFire89

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good and true article... If only Brit would read it...

It's true, "Spears is young, strong, rich and experienced, and there’s still plenty to play for"...
She should understand it, but she's so BEHIND it all.

During the last years Britney treated her work like a job in a office.
They tell her what to do and she does it, without putting anything personal in it!

I hope she'll wake up one day.

Yea, I don't like this

Articles like this are overdone now and bring nothing new

They really make her out to be a puppet which isnt true

She has written more songs than Rihanna but ofc, they will praise Rihanna and wouldn't even mention the shift of her everything after the Chris Brown incident..
Britney isn't defined by her breakdown, yes it was iconic but nothing that much changed in her music because of it (except 1 album)
The other thing they got wrong is how the media treats her bad (and still continues to do so while they think they are being generous) or that people hated her for no reason..

I swear to god..such a double standard when it comes to her..

23 minutes ago, Soni said:

Yea, I don't like this

She has written more songs than Rihanna but ofc, they will praise Rihanna and wouldn't even mention the shift of her everything after the Chris Brown incident..
Britney isn't defined by her breakdown, yes it was iconic but nothing that much changed in her music because of it (except 1 album)
The other thing they got wrong is how the media treats her bad (and still continues to do so while they think they are being generous) or that people hated her for no reason..

See... I think writing songs doesn't mean you're not a puppet.

I mean, she isn't a puppet, but she doesn't put HERSELF out!

Beyonka or Madonna maybe don't even write one of their song,
but you can tell they have their career under control and they WANT to be seen in a certain light.

Well; to be honest the article has a point. She seems like fragile and unstable.

She doesn't represent herself as a strong woman. I personally loved For The Record documentary, but even back then, they published that thing "nothing left unanswered" yet she didn't even really spoke about it.

It could be more attractive for GP to sing about your life tho. Everyone wanted to know what was happening, what was going on Britney's life, that's why media wanted to take her pics that much back than. But her team didn't give them something to talk about, they even didn't give them a chance to understand why Britney was acting like a unstable human-being. Marketing like "She is back and she is still like a Barbie Doll so you can buy her Circus album" idea had done some, but that wasn't enough.

She certainly is not a activist, doesn't talk about politics or social awareness, all we have in 10 years was Hands. That is okay, she is who she is but if you are a huge star, people want you to be their voice,or do something for that matters. 

As long as Britney stays like that, does something low-key, no matter what successfull her albums gonna be, she's gonna be "faded" in some way. Because they'll see her as a nice and fragile blond woman. it's sad. Bc she has a strong soul.

34 minutes ago, sibode said:

but you can tell they have their career under control and they WANT to be seen in a certain light.

Yea but people mostly talk about songwritting..
But we know, she has thought of the ideas of her videos,the direction of her music,choreos,tour stuff and many more..

but people mostly twist it for her!
"Those songs are written for Britney so big deal" to "Rihanna chose to get those songs"|
That's why it's a double standard

and no, Britney has also tried to make herself look like that
She had songs about growing up, being too overprotected,lonely,dealing with breakup etc
She had done everything from choosing writers/producers to writting/producing her songs when Blackout dropped
She has never had acknowledgment, the only wrong thing she did is that she lipped more (but nobody attacked Janet that much for it for example)
There is a shift tho, the media are much more respectful to her but it's still isn't enough for what she has done..at least they praised her vocals she did on the last album and the writers that worked with her, praised her at least..

37 minutes ago, sibode said:

I'm not sure what's real or not with Beyonce but Madonna is a great songwriter. I agree with your point, though. The problem with Britney ever since she came back is that there's no conviction or identity in her music or performances. Even back in her prime, if her biggest hits weren't written by her, you still believed every word - and that she could truly relate, that the music was hers, and everything that went with it, too. It's quite sad that she sees herself as somebody different when she's on stage - and to me that can only create a disconnection between her, the music, and the fans. Britney Spears doesn't need to be her alter-ego or whatever. She just needs to figure out who that woman is, and what she brings to the table as an artist, rather than a product. She never used to be this way, and was very driven to prove she had the talent to write, produce, compose - I'd love to see her regain that self-belief.

1 hour ago, Soni said:

Yea, I don't like this

That’s not true, Rihanna has more writing credits. And Britney is credited with writing Passenger :whatitellu:

9 minutes ago, Alexa said:

I'm not sure what's real or not with Beyonce but Madonna is a great songwriter. I agree with your point, though. The problem with Britney ever since she came back is that there's no conviction or identity in her music or performances. Even back in her prime, if her biggest hits weren't written by her, you still believed every word - and that she could truly relate, that the music was hers, and everything that went with it, too. It's quite sad that she sees herself as somebody different when she's on stage - and to me that can only create a disconnection between her, the music, and the fans. Britney Spears doesn't need to be her alter-ego or whatever. She just needs to figure out who that woman is, and what she brings to the table as an artist, rather than a product. She never used to be this way, and was very driven to prove she had the talent to write, produce, compose - I'd love to see her regain that self-belief.

Absolutely this.

She can continue to sing "i wanna dance on the dancefloor" or "i wanna see you naked", I LOVE IT!
But I need to see HER WORLD! Something she's completely in!

BLACKOUT is a masterpiece because it was HER WORLD back then! I don't care if she wrote those songs or not!
Blackout is 2007 Britney!

Circus, FF, Brendha Johanda are just songs she sings (i love some of those songs)
and GLORY is kinda her world, but it's a kinda weak image of it.

12 minutes ago, danny1994 said:

That’s not true, Rihanna has more writing credits. And Britney is credited with writing Passenger :whatitellu:

Not that it matters, but I think their writing on albums is roughly the same. I'm sure the same is true for Rihanna, but Britney also has a lot of unreleased stuff that she wrote on as well.

To me, the writing credits shouldn't be of importance. Not all singers are singer-songwriters - it's two completely different forms of artistic expression. Celine Dion, Elvis are two of the biggest icons in music history and neither or them wrote their music (Celine maybe has 3/4 writing credits from 20+ albums) - but they're still highly respected.

Britney has always been marginalized, for whatever reason. Her voice has been picked apart, even in the early albums - in almost every review there's some offhand remark on her singing ability when what she has is perfect for the genre. Of course, lipping the majority of her performances from 2001 onwards didn't help, but she's far from the most limited vocalist out there.

For some reason, Britney has always been an easy target for the industry to either dismiss or snub when it comes to her very real, hard-earned achievements. The EW article pointed out that if it were so easy to clone a Britney Spears, it would have been done. And the world tried and failed. We fans know the blood and sweat that Britney had to shed to get to where she is today. 

It’s super frustrating as a fan to see Britney constantly get looked over for her contributions to pop culture. I wonder how much of that has affected Britney, if it has affected her at all? As much of a bubble she seems to be living in lately, I still feel like she is someone who is aware of the world. 

3 hours ago, ColdAsFire89 said:

2 hours ago, sibode said:

Good and true article... If only Brit would read it...

It's true, "Spears is young, strong, rich and experienced, and there’s still plenty to play for"...
She should understand it, but she's so BEHIND it all.

During the last years Britney treated her work like a job in a office.
They tell her what to do and she does it, without putting anything personal in it!

I hope she'll wake up one day.

you two kinda look alike :idkney:

I don't know, I really didn't like the article. It speaks some truth but it also tells the story with a little bit of too much drama. Yes, of course there were always men behind her and her music: executives, managers, songwriters, producers, directors, even choreographers, but it's not like she didn't have a voice. I mean, yeah, at the end everything that she did had to be approved by those men, but the fact that she stood up and said no to the original idea for BOMT video, and told them what she really wanted to do, as simple as it may sound, it actually goes against this idea of the poor submissive girl doing what older men tell her to do. I don't know, I really ignore it, if people like Mandy Moore or Jessica Simpson or even Christina Aguilera had this kind of "freedom" to stand up against the executives of their record labels or the directors of their videos and tell them what they wanted to do.

2 hours ago, sibode said:

Britney very secure with herself and never has cared what the public says about her, that's why she never bothers to change whatever perception the world has of her because she does not care.

Britney lives for Britney and her boys

She's not seeking validation or approval from outsiders.

2 hours ago, Freudian said:

Well; to be honest the article has a point. She seems like fragile and unstable.

She doesn't represent herself as a strong woman. I personally loved For The Record documentary, but even back then, they published that thing "nothing left unanswered" yet she didn't even really spoke about it.

It could be more attractive for GP to sing about your life tho. Everyone wanted to know what was happening, what was going on Britney's life, that's why media wanted to take her pics that much back than. But her team didn't give them something to talk about, they even didn't give them a chance to understand why Britney was acting like a unstable human-being. Marketing like "She is back and she is still like a Barbie Doll so you can buy her Circus album" idea had done some, but that wasn't enough.

She certainly is not a activist, doesn't talk about politics or social awareness, all we have in 10 years was Hands. That is okay but she is who she is but if you are a huge star, people want you to be their voice,or do something for that matters. 

As long as Britney stays like that, does something low-key, no matter what successfull her albums gonna be, she's gonna be "faded" in some way. Because they'll see her as a nice and fragile blond woman. it's sad. Bc she has a strong soul.

Britney is an individual 

She not one that cares about outsider opinions on her 

Britney does Britney 

Archived