Here's How Professional Critics Rated All Of Britney's Albums

Stannedforever

16 hours ago, Kisle said:

So funny, it seems people that love metal really resonated with Glory! I wonder if anyone remembers that review of the album from a guy who was more into rock/metal but was totally shocked with Glory. Anyway, I’m the same, not so much metal but I live for rock from the 70’s-90’s. Britney is the only pop artist I actually look for (edit: regularly anyway, there’s some I check but they’re not as known).

I would love to see that review, haha. That is so funny. I'm the same exact way. Maybe it's because her voice has a bit of an edge to it that you don't hear often in pop. I've never really been one for those virtuosic voices like Christina's.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Blackout got negative reviews because it was so different for top 40 pop music that people weren't sure how to take it or react to it at the time (fast forward 10 years later and it's in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and hailed as one of the best pop works of all time - I believe Rolling Stone also put it in their top 5 most influential pop albums of all time). I also think GP wasn't sure what to think of Britney at the time, she was so unpredictable and erratic.

1 hour ago, jordeezy said:

I am so glad that critics mean nothing nowadays... it was important 15 years ago but they are irrelevant now

So who will be the trustable source now? I ‘m not sure. I didn’t read many reviews back then but current critics seem bullsh*t to me. They pretty much follow what are trending and no professional opnions

let's face it: she has not really released many personal records cuz most of the singles were written by someone else, hence the impersonal nature of her albums. that's a fact. what I admire the most is Blackout and I do not see much negativity even in the negative reviews.

to me it is the most coherent, rounded, fresh, groudbreaking, innovative AND personal, for that matter, in her carees:

- piece of me

- why should I be sad

- ooh ooh baby (originally written for Sean P)

- break the ice

- heaven on earth

- get back

2 hours ago, AkiraLe said:

So who will be the trustable source now? I ‘m not sure. I didn’t read many reviews back then but current critics seem bullsh*t to me. They pretty much follow what are trending and no professional opnions

We have the capability of spreading our own opinions now... in the early 2000s magazines, radio, ect. still had the platforms to spread their view but now with social media we fans get to be the ultimate critics

Thanks for posting, this was kinda interesting. 

MESS at the BJ reviews, both of them:mcorangu: 

And honestly, why should Glory be dragged for not being personal? It wasn't marketed as a personal album. Music doesn't always need to be serious, it can sometimes just be.. Fun. You can tell she had a good time with the album and I feel like even 2 years later it holds up as a solid *** album from start to finish.

Slay Oops and Glory for having the two highest scores. :gobaby:

Her albums are so diverse in soundscape

yet managed to churn out hits after hits after hits, it's incredible

Honestly JT and Pink and even to a degree Beyonce made really stale music.

I feel like JT and Pink albums are all  just one giant album, there's not much progression when you hear Funhouse for example, to Truth

BOMT - Oops was very similar

Britney already had very different songs like Slave, Boys

ITZ is its own soundscape

My Prerogative - Original Doll - era has all these funky sound

BO- is its own soundscape

Circus is sweet, traditional pop updated to 2008

FF has its own blazen soundscape

BJ - worst but tinged with EDM, and will.i.am melodies

Glory - moody, trancy, romantic 

Such a  diverse discography in terms of sound

On 7/30/2018 at 7:10 PM, Stannedforever said:

Glory

Overall ReceptionFavorable (metascore: 71)

Most favorable rating: 8 stars out of 10 from allmusic saying: "It's a welcome return, as is Glory as a whole: it feels as fun and frivolous as her earliest music while retaining the freshness of her best mature work."

Most negative rating: 5 stars out of 10 from the NY times saying "Yet even with her voice upfront, Ms. Spears isn’t singing anything particularly personal"

The NY Times is literally saying the truth in this review.

Britney has a voice and in Glory she uses it in ways we haven't heard in Femme Fatale and Britney Jean but still her songs are not personnal. To me that's the biggest problem with her lipsynch.

The girl has gone through hell yet, the only thing she sings about is hookups, clubs and whatever has been her trademark since the "Britney" album. She doesn't explore her personnal struggles like she actually did in Blackout's "Why should I be sad". 

Archived