Here's How Professional Critics Rated All Of Britney's Albums

Stannedforever

...Baby one more time

Overall Reception: Mixed (no metascore)

Most favorable rating: 4 stars out of 5 from allmusic saying: "Like many teen pop albums, ...Baby One More Time has its share of well-crafted filler, but the singles, combined with Britney's burgeoning charisma, make this a pretty great piece of fluff."

Most negative rating: half star out of 5 from NME saying: "Hopefully, if she starts to live the wretched life that we all eventually do, her voice will show the scars, she'll stop looking so f**king smug, she'll find solace in ***** and we'll be all the more happier for it. Now grow up, girl. Quick!" (what an unprofessional *****) :trash:

Oops!... I did it again

Overall Reception: Favorable (metascore: 72)

Most favorable rating: 4 stars out of 5 from allmusic saying: "It has the same combination of sweetly sentimental ballads and endearingly gaudy dance-pop that made One More Time."

Most negative rating: 4 out of 10 from Q magazine saying: "47 minutes of homogeneous power pop..."

Britney

Overall Reception: Average (metascore: 58)

Most favorable rating: 4½ out of 5  stars from allmusic saying: "It's enough of a reinvention to suggest that Britney will know what to do when the teen-pop phenomenon of 1999-2001 passes for good."

Most negative rating: 1 out of 10 stars from The A.V Club saying: "The joyless Britney marks a bold new era in which, though neither a girl nor a woman, Spears inspires grown-up anger on her own."

In the zone

Overall Reception: Favorable (metascore: 66)

Most favorable rating: 8.5 stars out of 10 from E!-online saying: "She finally delivers an album that's more fun than filler."

Most negative rating: 6 stars out of 10 from stylus magazine saying: "Ultimately, In the Zone suffers greatly from Britney's uneasy transition from teen tart to ******** powerful woman."

Blackout

Overall Reception: Favorable (metascore: 61)

Most favorable rating: 10 stars out of 10 from the guardian saying: "Blackout stands as one of 2007's happiest surprises, it genuinely succeeds on its own merit as a frequently genre-busting redefinition of mainstream music, largely thanks to the contribution of Timbaland cohort Danja."

Most negative rating: 4 stars out of 10 from NY times saying: "Ubiquitous, one way or another, for almost a decade, Ms. Spears has finally managed to become a spectral presence — on her own album."

Circus

Overall Reception: Favorable (metascore: 64)

Most favorable rating: 9 stars out of 10 from sputnikmusic saying: "Circus is a top-rate pop album that, with a little bit of justice, will be afforded the same sort of longevity as her brilliant early singles."

Most negative rating: 5 and half stars out of 10 from prefix magazine saying: "Spears needs to get over her "not a teen pop star, not yet a mature performer" phase and find herself before she succumbs to the same middle-of-the-road limbo as her more talented late-’90s teen-pop compatriot, Christina Aguilera.":ohi:

Femme Fatale

Overall Reception: Favorable (metascore: 67)

Most favorable rating: 9 stars out of 10 from entertainment weekly saying: "Britney we hear on Femme Fatale is a confidently corrupt guide to a place where our only worry is whether the beats will end before the sun comes up."

Most negative rating: 3 stars out of 10 from the independent saying "Max Martin has been roped in again along ... to create an album of autotuned landfill chartpop which you will scour in vain for anything on a par with "Womanizer"."

Britney Jean

Overall Reception: Negative (metascore: 50)

Most favorable rating: 8 stars out of 10 from entertainment weekly (:waitwhat:) saying: "in just 10 tidy songs, it brings us closer than ever before to that distant dreamer."

Most negative rating: 3 stars out of 10 from the Boston Globe saying: "Nowhere does “Britney Jean” sound like Britney Spears." :truthtea::truthtea::truthtea::truthtea::truthtea::truthtea:

Glory

Overall ReceptionFavorable (metascore: 71)

Most favorable rating: 8 stars out of 10 from allmusic saying: "It's a welcome return, as is Glory as a whole: it feels as fun and frivolous as her earliest music while retaining the freshness of her best mature work."

Most negative rating: 5 stars out of 10 from the NY times saying "Yet even with her voice upfront, Ms. Spears isn’t singing anything particularly personal"

NOTES

Metascore means averaged rating from professional reviewers. It does not include user ratings. I will make later similar list but for singles and music videos if you like this:hiii: 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, to me this proves Glory was the best thing she's done since Oops. May be controversial, but I love Glory so much. Blackout and ITZ are like close 3nd and 4rd to me, in that order.

36 minutes ago, Stannedforever said:

Most negative rating: 5 and half stars out of 10 from prefix magazine saying: "Spears needs to get over her "not a teen pop star, not yet a mature performer" phase and find herself before she succumbs to the same middle-of-the-road limbo as her more talented late-’90s teen-pop compatriot, Christina Aguilera.":ohi:

Outside the Aguilera comparison, I think this review was right. FF was sort of a distraction, it was fun, but Britney needed a Glory instead of FF. BJ showed her she couldn't keep doing the same thing. BJ is the sequel to FF, many of the things FF introduced, BJ got criticised for (Myah's vocals is the main thing, but also not any personal lyrics, heavily edited voice.) Britney should've gone full-on personal in Circus or right after Circus, and it's kind of disappointing that she hasn't if she really is an artist. People wanna learn about Britney and what she thinks. People want raw emotions and they got Circus and Femme Fatale? I'd have been disappointed if I'd been a stan back then.

Musically I do think Britney the album is the weak link with Britney Jean. Love the pop bops in the first one and I don't hate BJ that much, but compared to the next albums and the previous ones, the ones with her name on them aren't the best. At least that's my opinion as a baby stan.

I think Blackout received mixed reviews because it was cool to hate on Britney and her personal struggles overshadowed the album. She would've received better reviews If she would've been in a good place. Heck, it's the only album of hers in the rock & roll hall of fame archives. 

1 minute ago, Passengerney said:

I think Blackout received mixed reviews because it was cool to hate on Britney and her personal struggles overshadowed the album. She would've received better reviews If she would've been in a good place. Heck, it's the only album of hers in the rock & roll hall of fame archives. 

:whatitellu:This is true. Most of the critics panned someday, chaotic and blackout because of her personal life. Sometimes Critics are far too personal. Most of her albums actually gets praised years later when they become classics. Queen of being ahead of her time :beylaugh:

10 minutes ago, Commotion said:

Musically I do think Britney the album is the weak link with Britney Jean. Love the pop bops in the first one and I don't hate BJ that much, but compared to the next albums and the previous ones, the ones with her name on them aren't the best. At least that's my opinion as a baby stan.

Britney as album is not that good but the era was amazing :lmao:ITZ is what britney should have been. (even tho i love most of the songs from britney) 

3 minutes ago, Stannedforever said:

:whatitellu:This is true. Most of the critics panned someday, chaotic and blackout because of her personal life. Sometimes Critics are far too personal. Most of her albums actually gets praised years later when they become classics. Queen of being ahead of her time :beylaugh:

Yeah, look at Circus being higher. Everybody was rooting for her to be in a good place and they gave the album higher scores which is ridiculous. I love Circus, but it's nowhere near Blackout.

2 minutes ago, Stannedforever said:

Yeah I was reading through Blackout reviews not too long ago, and without having that 2007 era in context they mostly make no sense. What's weird is that Britney seems to be the only one with that trend.

If you go back it's easy to find good reviews for Madonna's Erotica from back in the day when it was so common to see her slutshamed all the time, but the album was solid.

Britney I guess is easy to hate. Blackout was basically the perfect pop album for the biggest pop story (Britney's 2007) for the biggest pop icon of the decade. But it's cool to hate on pop? I don't get it.

2 minutes ago, Passengerney said:

Yeah, look at Circus being higher. Everybody was rooting for her to be in a good place and they gave the album higher scores which is ridiculous. I love Circus, but it's nowhere near Blackout.

Circus was praised just because Britney was back. She could've waited a year and released Blackout as the comeback album, and it would've had crazy good reviews.

Further proof that critics are absolute trash and scum. They stick to praising the same artists with their boring material while paying dust to music that was actually different for its time (mostly referring to Britney's first albums where the sound of teen pop/pop was very new and invigorating, yet hated on and highly critiqued).

Just now, really really cool guy said:

The negative review: "not personal"

The **** is wrong with them when they praise people like Beyonce singing about her pu$$y and cursing throughout the song but because it's "personal" she's the best :wyd:

"not personal" but also FF gets praised for not being personal and "taking us to a place where our only worry is whether the beats will end before the sun comes up."

Critics are taken way too seriously. Every single person here or anywhere can be a critic. If I really wanted and had the drive I would find a job at one of those **** sites and write about how Glory is the single best album released by anyone ever.

15 minutes ago, really really cool guy said:

The negative review about Glory: "not personal"

The **** is wrong with them when they praise people like Beyonce singing about her pu$$y and her husband's ***, cursing throughout the song but because it's "personal" she's the best :wyd:

There's a huge difference tho. As much as I dislike Beyonce and think she's an entire gimmick, she actually speaks up about social issues and as a result, became a critic darling.  "Glory" was a far cry from anything personal.

2 hours ago, Stannedforever said:

I notice most critics seem to reviews music based upon who released it sometimes which is sad.

Archived