2017 Shakira vs 2017 Britney

Michaelgiftos

Shakira released a pretty solid album in May, Chantaje was an international hit and most of my friends know and love it (I'm 17) and Me Enamoré was a Latin hit. She's about to tour Europe, North America, and probably South America. 

Britney released Glory a year ago and performed at various festivals and the VMAS to promote it. Shakira hasn't done any of those things and Chantaje was a big hit. MM charted moderately and fell pretty quickly. Ik chartwise MM did better but Chantaje had more longitivity. Britney hasn't toured Europe or North America since 2011 and the tour had mixed reviews by critics and fans. And Shakira is older Britney. 

For B10 Britney needs to release another solid album (whether its urban, pure pop, pop rock, etc) it just needs to be something she's passionate about. Then she needs to gtfo of Vegas and do like a 40-50 date Europe and North American tour. That's not a big world tour like Justin, Ariana, The Weeknd, or Selena (if she could ever finish one) do. She could simply do 20 dates in Europe and 30 in North America. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Michaelgiftos said:

That Shakira is becoming more relevant due to Britney's laziness and shitty team/marketing strategies. Their careers used to have a lot of similarities and now Britney's not as relevant. The only 90s girl she's more relevant than is Xtincta

Shakira has always been relevant boo. Britney was not responsible for her crossing over to the American market during Laundry Service. She's had massive global hits and is a household name.

Their careers share absolutely zero similarities other than they both dance and have dyed blond hair.

I like Shakira and I think is the artist I like the most after Britney Spears. But something that has always stopped from being like a true die hard fan is precisely her albums. From Laundry Service onwards they've become so messy and tedious to listen to, especially when they have like the English and the Spanish version, and both tracks come in the same album, and it's like uugh. This last album she released was just like, is she for real? Half of the tracks are collaborations, and not that good, 4 of which already came out and 3 of them aren't even hers, but she's just the featured artist. Not only that, but she made even an English version of the French one, featuring, yet another artist. Besides Chantaje, there's another collaboration with Maluma, and it's just like too much for me lol Her solo tracks are really good though, it's the first time in years she sounds like the "old Shakira" with songs like Nada, Amarillo, When a Woman. OF COURSE, those songs will never become singles, and she's about to release the OTHER collaboration I haven't mentioned yet, with Nicki Jam... so I kinda feel a similar situation as with Britney, Shakira still is able to do songs that sound more like her classic style, but she's determined to release only those generic, trashy songs that the GP likes nowadays :wontcry: 

At least Shakira keeps releasing singles though, and I think that's a sign she's doing fine. I don't know what's her situation in the US, but what's for sure is that she's still very present and powerful in the music scene of the rest of the world, but her career and Britney's are very different, different age, different cultures, different styles and even different audiences: Shakira's audience is bigger and more varied.

If Britney wanted it she could regain her presence internationally, as we've seen with her Asian tour, they just need to focus again in releasing singles in different regions, making deals with brands, paying for promo, recording some performances to present overseas, etc. but we all know how that story goes.

Shakira hasn't toured since when, 2011? Let's see how she does with this new tour. Because even though her generic singles do very well, when it comes to her concerts I hear people always complain because they're expecting her to perform the old songs, and I don't think they're here to see her perform in a row Loca, Rabiosa, La La La, Chantaje, Bicicleta, etc Or maybe they are here for that, since Loca won that poll (which I still don't buy :P) but the other two songs that were chosen by the public were Underneath Your Clothes and Antología, so I hope that's the wakeup call for her that she needs to include more of her old ballads in her concerts.

Guest I Think I'm Ready Now

Shakira has a "cool" image, she has a popular boyfriend & she is a respected artist

So it's not surprising if she is successful :mattafact:

She is the latin version of Beyonce, in terms of reputation (except she is humble and not fake) 

35 minutes ago, Michaelgiftos said:

That Shakira is becoming more relevant due to Britney's laziness and shitty team/marketing strategies.

What? :nyheadache: Shakira had one of her biggest hits while Britney was on her prime. One being sucessful doesn't mean the other can't be sucessful as well. 

29 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

Shakira has always been relevant boo. Britney was not responsible for her crossing over to the American market during Laundry Service. She's had massive global hits and is a household name.

Their careers share absolutely zero similarities other than they both dance and have dyed blond hair.

Here's the tea. :flawlessbye:

Archived