Honestly the thing i love the most about GODNEY

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, danny1994 said:

It doesn't matter if you still do it or not, you knew it once had that meaning. Common sense says you shouldn't use a word that once meant "mentally disabled" as a synonym for stupid :whitney:

notice that someone's on a downvoting spree and seem to have supported the ******** joke statement :sickofu:

Guest I Think I'm Ready Now
28 minutes ago, danny1994 said:

It doesn't matter if you still do it or not, you knew it once had that meaning. Common sense says you shouldn't use a word that once meant "mentally disabled" as a synonym for stupid :whitney:

******** as always been a synonym of stupid, even 50 years ago, when they were both used for the mental condition 

We still use the word stupid today, just like we use the word ******** 

They're the same to us, always have been 

And I didn't know you used that word in that way in 2017 :whitney:

Guest T0UCH0FMYHAND

You guys can't expect everybody to speak perfect english and know the meaning of every single word.

It's the same in Germany, the translation of "********" is used as a synonyme for "stupid". She wasn't aware of the fact that she should not use that word in an English speaking forum and therefore should not be mocked over 3 pages. Like she even said that she didn't mean to be offensive.

16 minutes ago, Itachi said:

are you implying then that referring to the mental condition as "********" is now a taboo in your country? but using "********" as a synonym to "stupid" is acceptable? :beynah:

yeah :beynah:

But ******** has never been the name of a condition, it's always been a synonym of stupid, then they started using it also for the condition, around 1800-1900.

The words stupid and idiot were also used for the condition

Guest T0UCH0FMYHAND
1 minute ago, danny1994 said:

Oh yeah, I see @T0UCH0FMYHAND

:whitney:

She must love that word and use it in her everyday vocabulary :whitney:

Yes, I actually use it in my everyday vocabulary but as I said it is not used in an offensive way where I live. :kisses:

15 minutes ago, I Think I'm Ready Now said:

yeah :beynah:

But ******** has never been the name of a condition, it's always been a synonym of stupid, then they started using it also for the condition, around 1800-1900.

The words stupid and idiot were also used for the condition

still you have a knowledge that it is used to refer to a mental condition. :nyheadache:

16 minutes ago, T0UCH0FMYHAND said:

Yes, I actually use it in my everyday vocabulary but as I said it is not used in an offensive way where I live. :kisses:

that's why we find it imperative to call her (and you) out because it really is offensive, especially when used in written form such as this (a forum) where you don't see the speaker's emotion. :lessons:

17 minutes ago, Itachi said:

still you have a knowledge that it is used to refer to a mental condition. :nyheadache:

No, I didn't know you still used such a rude word, to refer to a mental condition :nyheadache: 

Those words, idiot, dumb, stupid, ********, are all insults and were all used for the condition  

Doesn't mean we should stop using them now, in their normal context

Guest T0UCH0FMYHAND
28 minutes ago, Itachi said:still you have a knowledge that it is used to refer to a mental condition. :nyheadache:

that's why we find it imperative to call her (and you) out because it really is offensive, especially when used in written form such as this (a forum) where you don't see the speaker's emotion. :lessons:

First of all, I did not use that word on here and secondly she did NOT know that the word has a different meaning in English and did NOT mean to offend anyone. Therefore people shouldn't treat her like some sort of criminal only because she was trying to explain herself which is not easy if you're not able to communicate in your native language. Sure this is an English speaking forum but you still can't expect everyone to know the meaning of every single word there is, especially if the word is used differently where you live. 

YES it is offensive to call someone "********" in your culture but wouldn't it have been enough to just tell her that? Why did you feel like you had to drag her over 3 pages even though it was obvious that she didn't mean to insult anyone? That's lowkey bullying and that's why I've downvoted y'all and NOT because I think that it is okay to call people "********". At least in English speaking cultures. 

5 minutes ago, T0UCH0FMYHAND said:

First of all, I did not use that word on here and secondly she did NOT know that the word has a different meaning in English and did NOT mean to offend anyone. Therefore people shouldn't treat her like some sort of criminal only because she was trying to explain herself which is not easy if you're not able to communicate in your native language. Sure this is an English speaking forum but you still can't expect everyone to know the meaning of every single word there is, especially if the word is used differently where you live. 

YES it is offensive to call someone "********" in your culture but wouldn't it have been enough to just tell her that? Why did you feel like you had to drag her over 3 pages even though it was obvious that she didn't mean to insult anyone? That's lowkey bullying and that's why I've downvoted y'all and NOT because I think that it is okay to call people "********". At least in English speaking cultures. 

the conversation was dragged into 3 pages (not her, learn the difference) because she kept on telling us repeatedly how that word is not insulting in her language, even mentioning a history of its meaning and usage and giving some synonyms. and we also kept on explaining how it is offensive to our understanding.

telling her to widen her english vocabulary and being culturally sensitive isn't dragging her, but rather, educating her, so that the next time she would know how to choose her words in a conversation. that's lowkey bullying for you? :whitney::sofedup:

you say it isn't okay to call people "********"? explain then why you upvote her 1st post:

2 hours ago, I Think I'm Ready Now said:

Boys are such a ******** race, all they think about is ******* :riha:

:girlwhat:

17 minutes ago, Itachi said:

the conversation was dragged into 3 pages (not her, learn the difference) because she kept on telling us repeatedly how that word is not insulting in her language, even mentioning a history of its meaning and usage and giving some synonyms. and we also kept on explaining how it is offensive to our understanding.

telling her to widen her english vocabulary and being culturally sensitive isn't dragging her, but rather, educating her, so that the next time she would know how to choose her words in a conversation. that's lowkey bullying for you? :whitney::sofedup:

you say it isn't okay to call people "********"? explain then why you upvote her 1st post:

Except you all thought I was being offensive on purpose, that's why I took the time to explain :whitney:

I'm aware of the meaning of the word now, although I still find it stupid and shocking to call disabled people "********" :girlwhat:

7 minutes ago, Shadow. said:

@danny1994 i can't at the stupidity in this thread and the excuses for using an offensive word but of course its always the same dumb **** people :tiffcackle:

Because I have a different opinion on Britney Spears, I am dumb ? :girlwhat:

Just now, Shadow. said:

@danny1994 i can't at the stupidity in this thread and the excuses for using an offensive word but of course its always the same dumb **** people :tiffcackle:

She literally admitted that she knew the word was used for disabled people at some point in her country. I don’t care if they only used it that way until the 60s, she knew it once had that meaning and shouldn’t use it as a synonym for stupid :tiffcackle:

7 minutes ago, I Think I'm Ready Now said:

Except you all thought I was being offensive on purpose, that's why I took the time to explain :whitney:

I'm aware of the meaning of the word now, although I still find it stupid to call disabled people "********" :girlwhat:

:wyd: no, not offensive on purpose. you're being stubborn. because despite the fact that 2 people have been telling on you, you still insisted on your own understanding of the word. at some point you even contradict yourself because you admitted you knew about its offensive definition

12 minutes ago, danny1994 said:

She literally admitted that she knew the word was used for disabled people at some point in her country. I don’t care if they only used it that way until the 60s, she knew it once had that meaning and shouldn’t use it as a synonym for stupid :tiffcackle:

Do you have troubles to understand ? :girlwhat: That's why this freakin thread has 3 pages

You all won't understand that '********' was never the name of a condition like in your country :whitney:

It was an insult and a synonym of stupid, then it was used for the condition, like most insults that have the same meaning :whitney:

Archived