Honestly the thing i love the most about GODNEY

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Margaery said:

In her defense, she's right, "attardé" in french merely means idiot or dumb. It doesn't have such an offensive meaning as in english. 

Ok, but we’re in an English speaking forum. Words carry their English meanings :whitney:

I rarely see people talking here in French :whitney:

3 minutes ago, danny1994 said:

And I’m not buying the whole “English isn’t my first language” excuse, everyone has heard of that mental disorder :whitney:

the fact that she translates it in another language with the same meaning, and claiming it's not offensive in her native language proves that she doesn't have any reservations in just using it as a joke/insult:whitney:

Guest I Think I'm Ready Now
10 minutes ago, danny1994 said:

Yes, it’s literally the name of the mental condition.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mental retardation

Thats why people are offended when it’s used as a synonym for stupid

Ok, I can understand

I didn't know you actually used that word to talk about them :jolieoverit:

To us that would be offensive, because that really is the synonym of stupid here 

Just now, Itachi said:

the fact that she translates it in another language with the same meaning, and claiming it's not offensive in her native language proves that she doesn't have any reservations in just using it as a joke/insult:whitney:

I mean, the word in French is obviously different and carries a different meaning. If she wants to say it in French, I don’t care :tiffcackle:

Just now, danny1994 said:

I mean, the word in French is obviously different and carries a different meaning. If she wants to say it in French, I don’t care :tiffcackle:

i see, someone validated the meaning of that French word. but the problem is she used an English word... in an English forum. :girlwhat:

11 minutes ago, Itachi said:

How was I supposed to know that you use the word ******** to talk about a mental condition ? :beynah:

That's shocking to us :beynah: I mean, we did too a long time ago, but not since at least 1960

2 minutes ago, I Think I'm Ready Now said:

How was I supposed to know that you use the word ******** to talk about a mental condition ? :beynah:

That's shocking to us :beynah: I mean, we did too a long time ago, but not since at least 1960

Wait, so you knew that it was previously used to talk about a mental condition? I don’t care if it hasn’t been used that way where you live since 1960, you knew it had that meaning :tiffcackle:

I was about to cut you a break, sorry nope :tiffcackle:

8 minutes ago, danny1994 said:

Wait, so you knew that it was previously used to talk about a mental condition? I don’t care if it hasn’t been used that way where you live since 1960, you knew it had that meaning :tiffcackle:

I was about to cut you a break, sorry nope :tiffcackle:

It doesn't have that meaning at all now :beynah:

That's like calling black people monkeys :beynah:

That's something everyone did a long time ago, and we're not proud of it.

9 minutes ago, danny1994 said:

Calling black people monkeys is offensive too, what point are you trying to make :tiffcackle:

Oh my god :tiffcackle:

Right that's offensive, that's why you don't call black people monkeys in your culture.

You shouldn't call mentally disabled people "********", how was I supposed to know that you still do it ? :sofedup:

Just now, I Think I'm Ready Now said:

Right that's offensive, and you don't call black people monkeys in your culture.

You shouldn't call mentally disabled people ********, how was I supposed to know that you still do it ? :sofedup:

It doesn't matter if you still do it or not, you knew it once had that meaning. Common sense says you shouldn't use a word that once meant "mentally disabled" as a synonym for stupid :whitney:

2 minutes ago, I Think I'm Ready Now said:

i don't know, do some research maybe. and be a little sensitive, culturally sensitive to be exact :beynah:

are you implying then that referring to the mental condition as "********" is now a taboo in your country? but using "********" as a synonym to "stupid" is acceptable? :beynah:

Archived