Billy Cullum Transforms Britney’s “Born To Make You Happy” Into An Electro-Tinged Dance Track: Premiere

Jordan Miller

• Leader

A must-listen.

Flashback your Friday with this fierce re-working of Baby One More Time cut "Born To Make You Happy."

Indie pop artist Billy Cullum took Britney's 1999 hit single and updated it to sound like something The Chainsmokers or Zedd would put forth (in a good way). Cullum stripped out the original's sugary production for atmospheric drums, dreamy synths and a warbly chipmunk background vocal; it sounds brand new.

"Growing up I was fascinated with Britney Spears," Cullum tells BreatheHeavy.com. "She’s the ultimate pop princess. Her songs are iconic and her visuals elevate each song to another level. I don’t think theres a female pop artist that has a repertoire quite like hers."

As for why he chose to breathe new life into "Born to Make You Happy," Cullum says the song doesn't get enough recognition. "It’s full of heart ache and desire which is something I love about pop music," he continued. "I want people to remember how incredible the song is. I want it to feel nostalgic but inject my style into it. It’s a rework I’m really proud of because it pays homage to Britney’s original whilst adding a really current twist."

This is a must-listen. Hear it below:

Liked it? Cullum has plans to release his forthcoming album, Lonely Hearts Club, in September.

Thoughts on the "Born To Make You Happy" cover? Let us know in Exhale.

And while you're at it... leave a comment and follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this would be so good with modern Britney vocals. I still don't think it would work as a remix, her '99 vocals just don't match the production. It's a good concept though! Also you should change the title from "transforms" to "covers". People are automatically going to be disappointed when they don't hear Britney's vocals. :gross:

I quite like it. Like the idea a lot but I feel it misses something. But I definitely don't think it's that bad. Ofcourse since I'm a Britney fan I'd prefer Britney vocals however I still enjoyed it. 

Loved the first verse, worked really well!! didn't like the pre Chorus as much. Chorus was ok

Wasnt expecting much base on the comments. To my surprise I ended up I liking it. I like it a lot actually. On my third listen now. Lol! 

I guess I'm the only one who likes it then. I like when men with manly voice sing Britney's song.

The OG is still better though. 

Archived