Why no Private Show Music Video?

BritLOVER

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Private Show was never a single, though. They made a complete mess out of the LEAD SINGLE'S music video, so why would they bother with a non-single music video? This is Britney, remember? She only puts minimal effort into her career these days. :giggleney:

Guest Arckangel
7 hours ago, LostInAnImage said:

Well, PS was voted among the "worst songs of 2016" by multiple different media outlets, so I have to respectfully disagree that not releasing it as a single was a mistake.

However, I do agree that the commercial was great.

Not all reviews were bad, though:

"Private Show" received mixed reviews from music critics. Anna Gaca of Spin was favorable with the track, calling it "a bubbly, pole dance-inspired number" with a "clipped [...] chorus that sounds tailor-made for a Vegas show." Stephen Thomas Erlewine of AllMusic declared that "some of the highlights [on the album] are the silliest songs," adding "Private Show" and "Slumber Party" as examples, defining them as a "a pair of heavy-breathing come-ons that never manage to seem **** despite the flood of innuendo." Nolan Feeney of Entertainment Weekly shared a similar view, writing that "even weaker tracks, such as the grating strip-tease 'Private Show,' feel like glimpses of the real Britney—her musical tastes, her voice—imperfections and all." For Rob Sheffield of Rolling Stone, "the conceptual centerpiece [of the record] is the deceptively giddy 'Private Show,' which isn't quite the ********-in-a-stupor lapdance goof it pretends to be." Andy Gill of The Independent praised the varied usage of her voice on the track, "where the excess sass suggests an attempt to occupy Katy Perry territory."

Alex Macpherson of The Guardian commented positively about her vocals, writing that "the zany 'Private Show' is a showcase for Spears to explore first helium-textured cartoon coquettishness, which seems a touch inspired by young Cyndi Lauper, and then an oddly snappy chirrup about working the pole. It's refreshing to hear Spears having fun on record – Private Show contains more goofy character than Spears's past three albums combined – as well as making a song in which her slinkiness is played for laughs rather than sexiness." Maeve McDermott of USA Today picked it as one of the essential tracks on the album, calling it "one of Glory's most explicitly **** tracks that, to Spears’ credit, could’ve gone terribly wrong." He also praised the producer Young Fyre for "keep[ing] the song from veering into parody by going retro with a doo-wop swing that would make Meghan Trainor jealous. Plus, it's a reminder that Spears, when she's not reaching the rafters with her breathy cooing, has a growling lower register that doesn’t get used enough."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_Show_(Britney_Spears_song)#Critical_reception

What Is Britney Spears' "Private Show" About? It's Even More Inspiring Than You Think

https://www.bustle.com/articles/176777-what-is-britney-spears-private-show-about-its-even-more-inspiring-than-you-think

Britney's review: "It's a really fun song, it's more urban, it's laid back and I think it shows my vocal chops a little bit more than my songs."

As for the negative ones, I guess those reviewers just did not like the way she sounds on it:

In a less favorable review, Robbie Daw of Idolator thought that the song "is Britney sounding her most Chipmunk-like, singing **** lyrics about ******** poles through filters and studio wizardry atop a throwback soul track. The aim here may be seduction, but the song comes off more comical than anything else, thanks to Spears’ bizarre vocals." Michael Cragg of The Observer, Nick Levine of NME and Sal Cinquemani of Slant Magazine considered the song a "misstep", with Cragg referring to it as "horrendous," Levine opining that "Spears doesn’t have the lung power to pull off vampish R&B tracks like ‘Private Show’,"[18] and Cinquemani saying that the song is "as **** as getting a lap dance from someone with the flu, as Britney's trademark adenoidal whine sounds more like a sinus infection." Maura Johnston of Boston Globe said the song was a "campy track [...] fronted by a winking, bravado-filled performance." "Private Show" landed at number nine on Time magazine's list of the worst songs of 2016, writing that "the superstar’s girly-girl voice gets distorted in overproduction, while uncomfortable allusions to working a ******** pole feel more forced than enticing."

The two other promotional singles, Clumsy and Do You Wanna Come Over?, ranked among the best of 2016, so I guess it's really Britney's voice on Private Show that some found too high or something. I like it but would not have released it as a commercial single. I'd have released 'Just Like Me', 'Liar' and 'Love Me Down' instead.

5 hours ago, pablitonizer said:

Private show lasts 3:55, probably they only recorded till the end of the first chorus. It was never meant to be a single, only to sell the fragance which btw before POM starts they promote it beneath the timer on the sides of the stage :meltdown::meltdown::meltdown::meltdown:

2017-05-20_20.45.33.jpg

so many empty seats, or are ppl just still in the lobby or somewhere (buying drinks etc) ?

5 hours ago, Arckangel said:

Not all reviews were bad, though:

"Private Show" received mixed reviews from music critics. Anna Gaca of Spin was favorable with the track, calling it "a bubbly, pole dance-inspired number" with a "clipped [...] chorus that sounds tailor-made for a Vegas show." Stephen Thomas Erlewine of AllMusic declared that "some of the highlights [on the album] are the silliest songs," adding "Private Show" and "Slumber Party" as examples, defining them as a "a pair of heavy-breathing come-ons that never manage to seem **** despite the flood of innuendo." Nolan Feeney of Entertainment Weekly shared a similar view, writing that "even weaker tracks, such as the grating strip-tease 'Private Show,' feel like glimpses of the real Britney—her musical tastes, her voice—imperfections and all." For Rob Sheffield of Rolling Stone, "the conceptual centerpiece [of the record] is the deceptively giddy 'Private Show,' which isn't quite the ********-in-a-stupor lapdance goof it pretends to be." Andy Gill of The Independent praised the varied usage of her voice on the track, "where the excess sass suggests an attempt to occupy Katy Perry territory."

Alex Macpherson of The Guardian commented positively about her vocals, writing that "the zany 'Private Show' is a showcase for Spears to explore first helium-textured cartoon coquettishness, which seems a touch inspired by young Cyndi Lauper, and then an oddly snappy chirrup about working the pole. It's refreshing to hear Spears having fun on record – Private Show contains more goofy character than Spears's past three albums combined – as well as making a song in which her slinkiness is played for laughs rather than sexiness." Maeve McDermott of USA Today picked it as one of the essential tracks on the album, calling it "one of Glory's most explicitly **** tracks that, to Spears’ credit, could’ve gone terribly wrong." He also praised the producer Young Fyre for "keep[ing] the song from veering into parody by going retro with a doo-wop swing that would make Meghan Trainor jealous. Plus, it's a reminder that Spears, when she's not reaching the rafters with her breathy cooing, has a growling lower register that doesn’t get used enough."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_Show_(Britney_Spears_song)#Critical_reception

What Is Britney Spears' "Private Show" About? It's Even More Inspiring Than You Think

https://www.bustle.com/articles/176777-what-is-britney-spears-private-show-about-its-even-more-inspiring-than-you-think

Britney's review: "It's a really fun song, it's more urban, it's laid back and I think it shows my vocal chops a little bit more than my songs."

As for the negative ones, I guess those reviewers just did not like the she sounds on it:

In a less favorable review, Robbie Daw of Idolator thought that the song "is Britney sounding her most Chipmunk-like, singing **** lyrics about ******** poles through filters and studio wizardry atop a throwback soul track. The aim here may be seduction, but the song comes off more comical than anything else, thanks to Spears’ bizarre vocals." Michael Cragg of The Observer, Nick Levine of NME and Sal Cinquemani of Slant Magazine considered the song a "misstep", with Cragg referring to it as "horrendous," Levine opining that "Spears doesn’t have the lung power to pull off vampish R&B tracks like ‘Private Show’,"[18] and Cinquemani saying that the song is "as **** as getting a lap dance from someone with the flu, as Britney's trademark adenoidal whine sounds more like a sinus infection." Maura Johnston of Boston Globe said the song was a "campy track [...] fronted by a winking, bravado-filled performance." "Private Show" landed at number nine on Time magazine's list of the worst songs of 2016, writing that "the superstar’s girly-girl voice gets distorted in overproduction, while uncomfortable allusions to working a ******** pole feel more forced than enticing."

The two other promotional singles, Clumsy and Do You Wanna Come Over?, ranked among the best of 2016, so I guess it's really Britney's voice on Private Show that some found too high or something. I like it but would not have released it as a commercial single. I'd have released 'Just Like Me', 'Liar' and 'Love Me Down' instead.

Fair enough! I guess it's just a highly polarizing track. Also, I agree with your personal choices, particularly "Just Like Me."

12 hours ago, BritLOVER said:

Since Britney shot a commercial for Private Show, with an elaborate set, costumes etc... Why on earth wouldn't they go the whole hog and just edit a music video out of it?

It's literally the definition of a Wasted opportunity!!

Not only that, but they removed the video from her channel (not sure if it's back).

12 hours ago, Sharkney said:

They probably did shoot one and then scrapped it :meltdown:

LMFAOOOOOOOOUEYRFJKTWUW

OMG CAN EVERYBODY STOP PULLIN THE SCRAP JOKE HONESTLY U GUYS KEEP HAVIN ME GIGGLE IN FRONT OF STRANGERS LIKE A ****** MORON I CAN'T    :moorangu:

10 minutes ago, Kiiddy said:

LMFAOOOOOOOOUEYRFJKTWUW

OMG CAN EVERYBODY STOP PULLIN THE SCRAP JOKE HONESTLY U GUYS KEEP HAVIN ME GIGGLE IN FRONT OF STRANGERS LIKE A ****** MORON I CAN'T    :moorangu:

May the hate forever flow through our veins:staysalty: Stay salty sistrens:staysalty:

Archived