"Britney" needs recognition

skkskk

So, I was just playing some music on Spotify and S4U started, than I decided to give "Britney" a listen and it was amazing :cinderellaney: , better than most of the other albums, imo. And I was wondering, why is it so underrated? Half of the songs(even more) are single worthy material(Slave, Overprotected, Boys, ILR&R, NYAGNYAW, Lonely, Cinderella, Bombastic love, Anticipating are all amazing. Right now it's my favourite album of hers, tbh. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's the Britney album with the most singles 

Slave, TWO versions of Overprotected, Boys, Not a Girl, I Love Rock 'n Rool, Anticipating (in France), That's Where You Take Me (in the Philippines)

Anticipating is the BEST TRACK and y'all will deal ^^^^^^^^

7 minutes ago, The_Original_Toy said:

Half of the singles are single worthy? :weirdmeout: that's why they're singles 

IA but the last few tracks (TWYTM, LMB,BL) seem like filler tracks and Anticipating...I could do without :forkit:

Oops, I meant songs, I'll fix it. 

Guest StrawberryKisses

Cinderella shoulda been a single. Lyrically it's bombastic, and it reminds me of MJ. :queenriri: Sounds like an Oops! reject though.

Before the Goodbye is one of the best songs on that album along with Lonely and Bombastic Love 

BFTG sounds too good for it's time, I've never heard anything like it :brit: I love how it's a sad ballad, then it turns into a dance song but still sad AF at the same time, then the guitar at the end... I can't :staysalty::otears:

1 hour ago, Applejack said:

it's the Britney album with the most singles 

Slave, TWO versions of Overprotected, Boys, Not a Girl, I Love Rock 'n Rool, Anticipating (in France), That's Where You Take Me (in the Philippines)

Anticipating is the BEST TRACK and y'all will deal ^^^^^^^^

OVERPROTECTED says hi :queenflopga:

I've been saying this constantly. One of the best Britney albums without a doubt, and it belongs with ITZ and Blackout as part of the trinity. 

Slave and Overprotected are, without a doubt, the two greatest songs out of Britney's whole discography, not to mention two of her best videos aswell. I love and relate to INAGNYAM so much, honestly it's one of Britney's most underappreciated songs, it's just so heartfelt. Lonely, Let Me Be and Anticipating still give me life every time I listen to them, and I don't care what anyone says, ILRNR is an incredible cover, and did justice to the original. 

I really don't understand why it rarely gets love around the fanbase. It's the perfect transition album from being a teenager to an adult and the first album where Britney reall seemed to find her own sound.  The only negative I have about this album is that such a gem as Intimidated wasn't included. 

21 minutes ago, GirlOnTheMoon said:

I've been saying this constantly. One of the best Britney albums without a doubt, and it belongs with ITZ and Blackout as part of the trinity. 

Slave and Overprotected are, without a doubt, the two greatest songs out of Britney's whole discography, not to mention two of her best videos aswell. I love and relate to INAGNYAM so much, honestly it's one of Britney's most underappreciated songs, it's just so heartfelt. Lonely, Let Me Be and Anticipating still give me life every time I listen to them, and I don't care what anyone says, ILRNR is an incredible cover, and did justice to the original. 

I really don't understand why it rarely gets love around the fanbase. It's the perfect transition album from being a teenager to an adult and the first album where Britney reall seemed to find her own sound.  The only negative I have about this album is that such a gem as Intimidated wasn't included. 

I disagree.

I think the album has some strong tracks, but it's not a very cohesive album. It's kind of all over the place in terms of sound and style. If I remember right, Slave and Boys were among the last songs recorded for the album and it's pretty clear to see why. Without those tracks, the album would just fall more flat than I think it already is.

Additionally, with it being recorded alongside Crossroads, it almost feels like half soundtrack, half album which I think lends to the in-cohesiveness. It's almost like two EPs into one.

More "Urban" Inspired:

I'm A Slave 4 U
Lonely
Boys
Let Me Be
I Run Away (maybe)
That's Where You Take Me

More Pop Inspired:

Overprotected
I'm Not A Girl
Anticipating
I Love Rock 'N Roll
Cinderella
Bombastic Love
What It's Like To Be Me
Before the Goodbye
When I Found You

Ultimately,  I think the strong tracks are Slave, Overprotected, Lonely, Boys, Cinderella, Let Me Be, I Run Away and Before the Goodbye (2 of which are bonus tracks). The rest are just filler and just don't fit.

I'll play the album start to finish every now and again but the album is just so dated now. It's not something I would be able to listen to on a daily basis. In the Zone onwards has way more replay value to it imo. Aside from the singles + Cinderella, I don't really use her first 3 albums anymore. 

I love that album and it is overlooked on here.

So many good songs. I love Overprotected, Lonely, Anticipating, Cinderella, Bombastic Love, What It's Like To Be Me etc. 

The 3 bonus tracks are amazing. Before the Goodbye is one of my favourites. 

59 minutes ago, WhatEverYouWant said:

I'll play the album start to finish every now and again but the album is just so dated now. It's not something I would be able to listen to on a daily basis. In the Zone onwards has way more replay value to it imo. Aside from the singles + Cinderella, I don't really use her first 3 albums anymore. 

I never listen to BOMT and OIDIA, tbh I've never listened to all the songs on these albums, as I have never listened to anything from BJ, WB and Perfume only. However Britney is amazing and I've been listening to Lonely, Bombastic Love, Anticipating and Cinderella a lot recently (also the singles, but I skip LR&R, idkw). Glory is the only album I listen from start to finish without skipping songs.

Archived