"Britney" needs recognition

skkskk

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ikr? I've never been much into this album but lately I'm loving it. All the singles are so good.

Lonely is an anthem and one of her best songs ever. What It's Like To Be Me, I Run Away and Before The Goodbye are AWESOME.

That's Where You Take Me is such a cute song, and Let Me Be and Cinderella are bops. The only song I don't like that much is Bombastic Love. The rest are flawless :mhm: 

This was her coming of age album, not sure if anybody before her has released an album with a similar concept, but I think to some extent it inspired some artists after her to do a coming of age album too. Like Miley's Can't Be Tamed, Bieber's Believe... idk

and yes this album is flawless from track one to bonus songs. 

Out of her first 4 albums "Britney" seems to be the least revisited these days, probably due to the lack of a blockbuster hit (BOMT, OIDIA or Toxic) and to the fact it got sandwhiched / stuck in the middle between her first 2 Diamond / Record-breaking albums and her much appreciated "In the zone". So it easily and constantly gets outshadowed. 

"Britney" is superb tho, its a solid and brilliant Pop album and no one was a bigger superstar than Britney around this era, she topped Forbes Magazine in 2002.  

Britney the album is one of my favorites album from her (it's in my personal Holy Trinity along with Blackout and Glory)

As a whole, the album IS so much better than her previous two albums. However, single-wise, "Britney" singles did not make as big of impact as  singles released from BOMT and OIDIA (and even ITZ). Slave, while a very good track, felt like Britney tried to abandon her main demographic at that time, that's why as an "era opener" it "underperformed" compared to Oops and Baby. Overprotected and Not a Girl are both great tracks and they did moderately well outside the US. Thanks for that stupid radio ban. These songs could have been so much bigger in the US

The "underwhelming" performances of the singles in the US made the album got overlooked amongst the fans and the GP imo

• Super Mods
On 5/9/2017 at 1:25 PM, GypsyWoman said:

I disagree.

I think the album has some strong tracks, but it's not a very cohesive album. It's kind of all over the place in terms of sound and style. If I remember right, Slave and Boys were among the last songs recorded for the album and it's pretty clear to see why. Without those tracks, the album would just fall more flat than I think it already is.

Additionally, with it being recorded alongside Crossroads, it almost feels like half soundtrack, half album which I think lends to the in-cohesiveness. It's almost like two EPs into one.

More "Urban" Inspired:

I'm A Slave 4 U
Lonely
Boys
Let Me Be
I Run Away (maybe)
That's Where You Take Me

More Pop Inspired:

Overprotected
I'm Not A Girl
Anticipating
I Love Rock 'N Roll
Cinderella
Bombastic Love
What It's Like To Be Me
Before the Goodbye
When I Found You

Ultimately,  I think the strong tracks are Slave, Overprotected, Lonely, Boys, Cinderella, Let Me Be, I Run Away and Before the Goodbye (2 of which are bonus tracks). The rest are just filler and just don't fit.

It's funny that you mentioned that because I think it was supposed to be two albums. I read somewhere she wanted to go the urban route and call the album "shock your mind" and a whole crossroads soundtrack but that got scrapped so they combined it. 

I think it's fitting to call it Britney since at the time she was transitioning and the album was a way for her to "grow up" 

'Britney' brings back so much memories. :lustney: I remember listening to a cassette of it with my little sister and we would always argue whether Let Me Be or Bombastic Love is the better song. I ended up liking both when I grew up, and I still do :mcry: And man, that Vios TV ad :overwhelm: 

52 minutes ago, puppylo16 said:

It's funny that you mentioned that because I think it was supposed to be two albums. I read somewhere she wanted to go the urban route and call the album "shock your mind" and a whole crossroads soundtrack but that got scrapped so they combined it. 

I think it's fitting to call it Britney since at the time she was transitioning and the album was a way for her to "grow up" 

Agreed!

It had a good era, but it was definitely a transitional album from the old material to a more urban/contemporary sound. To me, the album will always be an extended Crossroads soundtrack.

• Super Mods
7 hours ago, GypsyWoman said:

Agreed!

It had a good era, but it was definitely a transitional album from the old material to a more urban/contemporary sound. To me, the album will always be an extended Crossroads soundtrack.

Yeap I feel the same. :mhm:

Archived