What is the truth behind the Britney-Jive discussion about Original Doll?

Rachel Green

I know this has been discussed thousands of times in here but I still have a few doubts about this topic.

Everyone says Britney was really mad at her label back in 2004 when she started recording what would have become Original Doll because they didn't let her have as much freedom or creative control as she wanted to but... Is that really the reason Original Doll didn't happen? I mean she had been very hands on for In The Zone and had experimented and released  what she wanted. What was different this time around then? I think the album was scrapped because she got pregnant and she was not ready to release an album in 2005 or early 2006.

What was Britney and Jive issues about?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It pissed Jive off that she had essentially been working on material behind their back and that she previewed Mona Lisa and talked about an album they knew nothing about on the radio. I don't think her getting pregnant helped either tbh, I think had she not gotten pregnant it's possible she would've had an album out in late 2005 that would've probably been a slightly more commercial version of what Britney wanted I mean after all Jive did let her release Mona Lisa and Someday. 

1 hour ago, lustwecantcontrol said:

It pissed Jive off that she had essentially been working on material behind their back and that she previewed Mona Lisa and talked about an album they knew nothing about on the radio. I don't think her getting pregnant helped either tbh, I think had she not gotten pregnant it's possible she would've had an album out in late 2005 that would've probably been a slightly more commercial version of what Britney wanted I mean after all Jive did let her release Mona Lisa and Someday. 

This.  Jive was pissed about her previewing 'Mona Lisa' and discussing new music on the radio without giving them a heads-up, and it was rumored that it was the label who forced her to call TRL soon after to deny that an album was in the works.  Her total 180 between those interviews was so weird/abrupt that it almost had to be label interference.  

1 hour ago, DirtyMind said:

This.  Jive was pissed about her previewing 'Mona Lisa' and discussing new music on the radio without giving them a heads-up, and it was rumored that it was the label who forced her to call TRL soon after to deny that an album was in the works.  Her total 180 between those interviews was so weird/abrupt that it almost had to be label interference.  

Is there a link to the TRL call? Never heard it

4 hours ago, britneysslumberparty said:

OD wasn't an album, it was an idea. What she wanted as Original Doll came out to be Blackout. Ideas always get thrown around but for some reason, this IDEA stuck to the fans and theyve been clinging onto it since :forkit:

Except there is material that she recorded for the project that is completely separate from the material she did for Blackout, examples include Mona Lisa, Someday, Peep Show, Ouch, Money Love And Happiness etc.  

Who cares whether "Original Doll" had been  a vague idea of Britney's when she experimented and recorded behind the back of Jive or not.. Or if it was an actual potential album.

I'm still mad at her team that we haven't got an "Original Doll" album yet. They could have come up with milking some money from us by just releasing a 12 tracked album on digital retailers or giving us a "box set" consisting of a new studio album and OD as a "bonus". I mean, we already have most of the songs from that period. It's so effing sad and outrageous and frustrating that those songs never had the chance to be heard by fans in HQ. - They just need to gather songs like "Someday", "Mona Lisa", "Chaotic", "Over To You Now" together, polish the productions of songs we already have like "Guilty", "Get It", "Ouch", "Money, Love and Happiness", release the official album version of "And Then We Kiss" & add "Take Off" & "Rebellion" to this project and I am sure that everyone of us would pay 12 $ more for an album (either digital or part of a box set). 

This way, we fans could live happily ever after, Britney's music gets heard and they can earn some bugs by releasing songs we "basically" already have/own.

4 hours ago, lustwecantcontrol said:

This. After Britney premiered Mona Lisa on Kiis without Jive's permission they most likely shut down the entire project. And like you said, with Britney getting pregnant she wouldn't have been able to promote the album properly, so that probably had something to do with it too.

2 hours ago, Rachel Green said:

Is there a link to the TRL call? Never heard it

Can someone PLEASE post this!? I've been looking for it everywhere, but I can't find it. It's Britney calling into TRL to premiere the Do Somethin' music video, the only time it'd ever air in America. While she was calling in they did a mini interview and Britney said that the album was in it's beginning stages, but during the Kiis interview where she premiered Mona Lisa she said the album was half-way done. And then she never mentioned it again.

3 minutes ago, Mainshow said:

Who cares whether "Original Doll" had been  a vague idea of Britney's when she experimented and recorded behind the back of Jive or not.. Or if it was an actual potential album.

I'm still mad at her team that we haven't got an "Original Doll" album yet. They could have come up with milking some money from us by just releasing a 12 tracked album on digital retailers or giving us a "box set" consisting of a new studio album and OD as a "bonus". I mean, we already have most of the songs from that period. It's so effing sad and outrageous and frustrating that those songs never had the chance to be heard by fans in HQ. - They just need to gather songs like "Someday", "Mona Lisa", "Chaotic", "Over To You Now" together, polish the productions of songs we already have like "Guilty", "Get It", "Ouch", "Money, Love and Happiness", release the official album version of "And Then We Kiss" & add "Take Off" & "Rebellion" to this project and I am sure that everyone of us would pay 12 $ more for an album (either digital or part of a box set). 

This way, we fans could live happily ever after, Britney's music gets heard and they can earn some bugs by releasing songs we "basically" already have/own.

Unfortunately we most likely won't get something like this until Britney either retires or dies.

6 minutes ago, BraveNewSeth said:

This. After Britney premiered Mona Lisa on Kiis without Jive's permission they most likely shut down the entire project. And like you said, with Britney getting pregnant she wouldn't have been able to promote the album properly, so that probably had something to do with it too.

Can someone PLEASE post this!? I've been looking for it everywhere, but I can't find it. It's Britney calling into TRL to premiere the Do Somethin' music video, the only time it'd ever air in America. While she was calling in they did a mini interview and Britney said that the album was in it's beginning stages, but during the Kiis interview where she premiered Mona Lisa she said the album was half-way done. And then she never mentioned it again.

Well, I think she meant to expect an album the following year, I don't think we should look into it a lot really

4 hours ago, britneysslumberparty said:

OD wasn't an album, it was an idea. What she wanted as Original Doll came out to be Blackout. Ideas always get thrown around but for some reason, this IDEA stuck to the fans and theyve been clinging onto it since :forkit:

THANK YOU! Nobody else seems to get this - a lot of people think there is a complete unreleased secret album somewhere in a vault lol. It was just the working title for her 5th album. It prob would have sounded more like Mona Lisa and Someday if she didn't get pregnant and released it in 2005 or 2006. She had to postpone it and eventually got all the big club bangers from Blackout which changed the 5th album direction. So ultimately Blackout was released.

Did she ever confirm the Original Doll title tho? Because the only thing I ever heard was that she was working on something then she had kids, had a breakdown then Blackout came. That was probably just an idea that fans made up a whole novel of just to confuse people. I highly doubt there's some secret album hiding somewhere and we have almost 10 studio albums anyway. Not all of her music is gonna see the light of day and fans need to accept that.

You think every song Michael Jackson recorded is gonna be put out?

10 minutes ago, Phonography423 said:

Did she ever confirm the Original Doll title tho? Because the only thing I ever heard was that she was working on something then she had kids, had a breakdown then Blackout came. That was probably just an idea that fans made up a whole novel of just to confuse people. I highly doubt there's some secret album hiding somewhere and we have almost 10 studio albums anyway. Not all of her music is gonna see the light of day and fans need to accept that.

You think every song Michael Jackson recorded is gonna be put out?

THIS! I think they never confirmed the title..

Except there is material that she recorded for the project that is completely separate from the material she did for Blackout, examples include Mona Lisa, Someday, Peep Show, Ouch, Money Love And Happiness etc.  

How do you know that was specifically for an album called the Original Doll? What Im saying is the project when they started writing and recording was called OD. Through the process, they decided to change it to Blackout. It's all the same project, OD was just the beginning idea. 

Well the only confirmed song for OD is Mona Lisa.

We don't know when exactly the rest of those songs were recorded, apart from Someday which was written before her pregnancy. She was working with those writers and producers during ITZ sessions, so it's reasonable doubt that a good chunk of these songs are from 2003.

10 hours ago, lustwecantcontrol said:

9 hours ago, DirtyMind said:

8 hours ago, DaxCass said:

She was recording OD at Jive's back then she went to the radio with Mona Lisa so there's no way that her label wouldn't be pissed off at her 

Archived