Why are the choruses getting worse?

The problem here isn't that they're repetitive (at least that's my opinion). They could be repetitive, but still work, like Womanizer, and even Gimme More, which isn't precisely one of my favorite songs.

The thing is they lack of shape and structure. It's almost as if there weren't choruses anymore. Especially with Glory, most of the songs are almost like Dear Diary kind of structure. Songs that go on and on, but you can't easily differentiate the beginning, the middle and the end. As the second comment said, Max Martin is the master of this kind of structure, that gives songs like Oops, BOMT, Stronger the magic that they have. But it wasn't only Max Martin, we have other songs like Circus or POM that follow that pattern too. Personally I still prefer that kind of songs, you know:

verse - bridge - chorus - verse - bridge - chorus - break - bridge - slightly different chorus - chorus - chorus

But for some reason, with Glory tracks that's not a big deal for me. It makes you appreciate the whole song as one entity, but I do wish they had a more defined structure in future albums. I'm almost sure it's Britney herself the one that tries to stay away from this. But I do consider a strong chorus is very important for the catchiness and to engage with the public.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gimme, gimme, more, gimme more, gimme, gimme more says hi. :truthtea: Love the song tho. :truthtea:

2 minutes ago, spearitz said:

Wtf, Womanizer says hello. so does 3, Gimme More, Slave (Get it get it what get it get it what part), TTWE, Up N Down..

Britney is literally known for her over repetitive choruses. 

Glory is no exception to that. Some songs do have repetitive choruses but some have amazing melody and lyrics, like Man On The moon, Invitation, Liar, Slumber Party.. Britney hadn't done choruses as amazing as the ones on these songs since I honestly don't know when.  Plus some are so well connected to the song that they don't even stand out as repetitive necessairily, like DYWCO or What u need

This. :truthtea:

3 minutes ago, Me Against The Exhale said:

BOMT is pop, OIDIA is pop, Slave is pop, Toxic is pop, Circus is pop, HIAM is pop, TTWE is pop, IWG is pop, WB is pop

Cheap Trills is pop, What Do You Mean is pop, Sorry is pop, Thinking Out Loud is pop, Hello is pop, Take Me To Church is pop etc.

They're all pop, but not repetitive or simple as Glory choruses are.

TTWE is not repetitive??? ***** is saying Oh oh oh for a whole minute, wtf. Same with Slave (get it get it). 
And I'm pretty sure IWG lies completely or repetition. lol

and WB is not simple? She says Work ***** and a basic David Guetta beat comes in. lol. 

at least 80% of Glory is far more elaborate than anything we got in the last 5 years lol

3 minutes ago, shap_half said:

I'm not really sure why you guys are giving the OP a hard time. It's true. Most of the songs in Glory feature extraordinarily repetitive choruses. I don't agree that they all suck, though. Some of them (like Just Luv Me, Make Me, DYWCO, and What You Need) are fine with their simpler choruses. DYWCO's chorus is actually perfect for the song. But I do agree that the other songs have been let down by how repetitive and inconsequential the chorus is. Clumsy, Just Like Me, and If I'm Dancing are saddled with mediocre choruses. I'm especially bummed about If I'm Dancing, because it could really have been incredible with a more thoughtful chorus. 

Man on the Moon, Slumber Party, and Liar have great choruses, I thought. 

Thank you. I should've known that Exhale always takes it so personally when you criticize something they dearly love. And it's just not my personal view - the choruses are repetitive and less complex than before. Some may like it, some may not. You can recognize the way the choruses are, and still like them. Some people just seem too personally offended to understand the point.

Even though I criticized the repetitiviness of the songs, I didn't bash the songs completely. Just because I see some faults in the songs doesn't mean I don't like them. I don't like all the songs on Glory, but I also do like many of them. DYWCO, Clumsy, Liar and Slumber Party are great songs.

23 minutes ago, Me Against The Exhale said:

Exhalers being dumb again. Just because you disagree with one point of mine doesn't make my entire post irrelevant.

Its funny that you argue back at every person who disagrees with you basically saying how your entitled to make a point, but you cant accept that your opinion is not fact...that is why its called an opinion. And yours is an unpopular one at that, what did you think youd post it and everyone would go "awww your right me against the exhale your so smart you have enlightened us, i loved glory before but now youve opened my eyes to the choruses il never be happy with a new britney song again"

your entitled to your opinion, we are to ours. Dont start calling people dumb cause it doesnt bother us if the choruses arent complicated

10 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

The problem here isn't that they're repetitive (at least that's my opinion). They could be repetitive, but still work, like Womanizer, and even Gimme More, which isn't precisely one of my favorite songs.

The thing is they lack of shape and structure. It's almost as if there weren't choruses anymore. Especially with Glory, most of the songs are almost like Dear Diary kind of structure. Songs that go on and on, but you can't easily differentiate the beginning, the middle and the end. As the second comment said, Max Martin is the master of this kind of structure, that gives songs like Oops, BOMT, Stronger the magic that they have. But it wasn't only Max Martin, we have other songs like Circus or POM that follow that pattern too. Personally I still prefer that kind of songs, you know:

verse - bridge - chorus - verse - bridge - chorus - break - bridge - slightly different chorus - chorus - chorus

But for some reason, with Glory tracks that's not a big deal for me. It makes you appreciate the whole song as one entity, but I do wish they had a more defined structure in future albums. I'm almost sure it's Britney herself the one that tries to stay away from this. But I do consider a strong chorus is very important for the catchiness and to engage with the public.

Great post. You describe very well what I meant with simpliness: the choruses don't feel like choruses. The songs end up very bland and so. It's not like that with entire album, but there's examples in OP.

5 minutes ago, D_Britfan said:

Its funny that you argue back at every person who disagrees with you basically saying how your entitled to make a point, but you cant accept that your opinion is not fact...that is why its called an opinion. And yours is an unpopular one at that, what did you think youd post it and everyone would go "awww your right me against the exhale your so smart you have enlightened us, i loved glory before but now youve opened my eyes to the choruses il never be happy with a new britney song again"

your entitled to your opinion, we are to ours. Dont start calling people dumb cause it doesnt bother us if the choruses arent complicated

Now you understand wrong. I gave you examples of repetitiviness of Glory songs. You can listen to those songs, and if you're not delusional, you will realize that half of the album is REPETITIVE. That's a fact, not my opinion.
Now, in my opinion that is a bad thing. And that many of the choruses are bad. And a big step back from previous albums. Now, here you can disagree. You can tell me you love the songs the way they are, and that the choruses are great, but you also should recognize that the choruses are REPETITIVE because its the truth.

17 minutes ago, spearitz said:

TTWE is not repetitive??? ***** is saying Oh oh oh for a whole minute, wtf. Same with Slave (get it get it). 
And I'm pretty sure IWG lies completely or repetition. lol

and WB is not simple? She says Work ***** and a basic David Guetta beat comes in. lol. 

at least 80% of Glory is far more elaborate than anything we got in the last 5 years lol

TTWE chorus indeed is what you said, I'll give you that.
IWG is repetitive, but not the same way glory is. IWG chorus ain't just ''I-I-I Wanna Go-o-o'' repeated ten times. It has many other lines too. Sure pop songs use lots of repeat, but you should see a difference between her earlier songs and the new ones. Many of Glory songs tend to repeat the same one or two lines.

Britney has been into nontraditional song structures. It's something she enjoys. I haven't listened to most of Glory (the four released and Just Luv me) but I can take a stab at this and say it's because either she wants the simple message to shine through, the track has a sonic experience that is more about what the ear hears instead of the lyrics and sometimes the song's hook is outside the chorus and the song calls for something less powerful in the chorus.  

Archived