Why are the choruses getting worse?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe you're overthinking this. The thing that's bothering you has been around for a while...

Gimme More, Womanizer, If U Seek Amy, I Wanna Go, Till The World Ends all immediately come to mind. 

Some songs are purposely crafted to have simplistic, catchy hooks that get stuck in your head (aka pop radio singles). Others are created to be more complex. That's just how pop music is these days. Eventually it'll evolve again from being the same collection of scientifically examined notes, which is the reason things feel monotonous. 

i guess you've never heard 

"Feels like the crowd is saying

Gimme, Gimme more
Gimme, More
Gimme, Gimme, More
Gimme, Gimme more
Gimme, More
Gimme, Gimme, More
Gimme, Gimme more
Gimme, More
Gimme, Gimme, More
Gimme, Gimme more
Gimme, More
Gimme, Gimme, More"

How about that for repetitive? :cigney:

3 hours ago, Me Against The Exhale said:

One thing that has bothered me with recent albums has been the choruses. The quality of choruses has been declining since FF.
The choruses have become more and more simplistic and repetitive. Now very often the verses sound much better than the chorus.

Let me pick those songs from the recent albums

FF:
He About To Lose Me - A touching song, but the chorus totally ruined the song for me. REPETITIVE and overproduced.
Big Fat Bass -  Also BORING and REPETITIVE.

BJ:
Alien - The pre-chorus is great, but ''Not Alone'' x15 is BORING and REPETITIVE
Til It's Gone - A great song, kinda poor chorus. The instrumental saves a lot in this case.
Tik Tik Boom - One of my favourites from BJ. The song sounds like something from her older albums, and so does the chorus, but still hella repetitive.
Chillin With U - You know...

Glory:
Make Me - I don't think i'll ever like the song because of the chorus. The chorus is not only BORING and REPETITIVE, but also has very unnatural sound and overproduced vocals.
Clumsy - I love the song, but again the chorus is REPETITIVE. Verses and pre-chorus overshadow it.
Just Luv Me - REPETITIVE
Just Like Me - REPETITIVE
Love Me Down - REPETITIVE, even though sounds pretty nice here.
Hard To Forget You - REPETITIVE,
Change Your Mind - REPETITIVE, but still a good chorus
If I'm Dancing - REPETITIVE

My point is: why are the choruses becoming incresingly repetitive, simplistic and less complex? Sure there are songs like Liar and Slumber Party that have more complex (and great) choruses, but a lot of songs from Glory have choruses that consist of repeating the name of the song for dozen times. I like verses of the songs on Glory much more than the choruses, and I don't fancy the direction Britney is going with her choruses. The chart success of a song is hugely related to the greatness of the chorus, and tbh I don't see many Glory songs have a chart topping chorus. Make Me surely wasn't one of those.

Do you agree or disagree?

Why are you being so negative? this is what pop music called. if its not repetitive then the song is of course not catchy to catch the listeners attention. come on man, stop bringing negative threads. just embrace GLORY

3 hours ago, Me Against The Exhale said:

The chart success of a song is hugely related to the greatness of the chorus.

Some of the most successful songs of the past 10 years (Poker Face, Til The World Ends, Shake It Off, Call Me Maybe, Scream and Shout) say hi.

guys, he IS right

and that's the case with every pop song these days (and yes it's the case with songs like womanizer, gimme more, etc. AND all other artists out here) 

and i've noticed it too in Glory (and the absence of new parts during the bridge and/or no bridge at all)

it's just how pop music has evolved 

thank god Invitation, Man on the Moon, Liar, Slumber Party have complex choruses 

i still think Glory is the best album ever (catchy, mystical, mysterious, new sounds, amazing production, etc.)

but honestly the OP is not wrong 

Archived