Why are the choruses getting worse?

One thing that has bothered me with recent albums has been the choruses. The quality of choruses has been declining since FF.
The choruses have become more and more simplistic and repetitive. Now very often the verses sound much better than the chorus.

Let me pick those songs from the recent albums

FF:
He About To Lose Me - A touching song, but the chorus totally ruined the song for me. REPETITIVE and overproduced.
Big Fat Bass -  Also BORING and REPETITIVE.

BJ:
Alien - The pre-chorus is great, but ''Not Alone'' x15 is BORING and REPETITIVE
Til It's Gone - A great song, kinda poor chorus. The instrumental saves a lot in this case.
Tik Tik Boom - One of my favourites from BJ. The song sounds like something from her older albums, and so does the chorus, but still hella repetitive.
Chillin With U - You know...

Glory:
Make Me - I don't think i'll ever like the song because of the chorus. The chorus is not only BORING and REPETITIVE, but also has very unnatural sound and overproduced vocals.
Clumsy - I love the song, but again the chorus is REPETITIVE. Verses and pre-chorus overshadow it.
Just Luv Me - REPETITIVE
Just Like Me - REPETITIVE
Love Me Down - REPETITIVE, even though sounds pretty nice here.
Hard To Forget You - REPETITIVE,
Change Your Mind - REPETITIVE, but still a good chorus
If I'm Dancing - REPETITIVE

My point is: why are the choruses becoming incresingly repetitive, simplistic and less complex? Sure there are songs like Liar and Slumber Party that have more complex (and great) choruses, but a lot of songs from Glory have choruses that consist of repeating the name of the song for dozen times. I like verses of the songs on Glory much more than the choruses, and I don't fancy the direction Britney is going with her choruses. The chart success of a song is hugely related to the greatness of the chorus, and tbh I don't see many Glory songs have a chart topping chorus. Make Me surely wasn't one of those.

Do you agree or disagree?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clumsy doesn't even have a chorus technically

I don't find MM's chorus that repetitive at all and they're not overproduced or unnatural vocals they're layered and there are other people singing with her!

BFB is literally the worst song she's ever done so I mean whatever to that one

Alien is a super basic song to begin with, Orbit has never impressed me at all

Tik Tik Boom is nothing special either to be honest, it's pretty much a filler track

I find nothing wrong with Till It's Gone, it sounds like a typical EDM song to me 

9 minutes ago, Me Against The Exhale said:

My point is: why are the choruses becoming incresingly repetitive, simplistic and less complex? Sure there are songs like Liar and Slumber Party that have more complex (and great) choruses, but a lot of songs from Glory have choruses that consist of repeating the name of the song for dozen times. I like verses of the songs on Glory much more than the choruses, and I don't fancy the direction Britney is going with her choruses. The chart success of a song is hugely related to the greatness of the chorus, and tbh I don't see many Glory songs have a chart topping chorus. Make Me surely wasn't one of those.

Do you agree or disagree?

Yeah sure, Work by Riri has an amazing chorus, that's why it was N1 for weeks, **** off.

2 minutes ago, Stifler's Mom said:

cuz it's pop music, it sells, it's catchy to the ear, it stays in your brain easier :unbothered:

All her biggest hits have been pop music too. And they've sold hella lot and been catchy. The change to repetitive and simple choruses has happened during last two albums, which haven't sold/wont predictably sell as well. The same with the singles.

The catchiness indeed is important, but too simplicity can easily kill the chorus.

Just now, Me Against The Exhale said:

All her biggest hits have been pop music too. And they've sold hella lot and been catchy. The change to repetitive and simple choruses has happened during last two albums, which haven't sold/wont predictably sell as well. The same with the singles.

The catchiness indeed is important, but too simplicity can easily kill the chorus.

Gimme gimme more, gimme, gimme gimme lol :myjam:

I do get your point but it's pointless if the production is savage and well produced. it doesn't damage the "quality" of the sound, it's relative. 

but once again, this is pop music. and even tho she has repetitive chorus, she has other songs that aren't... 

4 minutes ago, Camilo said:

I think you're an idiot, and if this bothers you, let it go and listen to another ****. :lessons:

TBH, it's so stupid :sickofu: 

Very low to attack me for my personal taste. You may like things that I don't, but you can't deny the change in the choruses. I think it's very hypocritical to tell me to leave the forum for criticizing parts of Glory since entire Britney albums are openly bashed here with no shame like every day.

3 minutes ago, Camilo said:

Yeah sure, Work by Riri has an amazing chorus, that's why it was N1 for weeks, **** off.

If you weren't illiterate, you'd know I didnt say repetitiviness equals bad chorus.

Archived