The most impotant takeaway from the Make Me video that no one is really picking up on

Army1

Hey guys, 

Long time reader of exhale, first time poster. After jumping on and reading through all the meltdowns over the Make Me video, I felt compelled to join the conversation and bring up a point that not too many people have touched upon amidst all the chaos. 

First off, the notion that Britney's team flopped and this is "not her fault" needs to get out of the collective minds of those who keep saying that.

In all actuality, this video drama IS Britney's personal doing, and I say that in the most positive way possible.

Since the breakdown, we have gone through almost ten years (HALF of Britney's entire career) dealing with the ramifications of her mental illness. A period that brought on the semi lucid femme fatale era, xfactor, and the entire britney jean mess. Throughout this time, the one thing that the fanbase has always longed for/craved (aside from Britney's general health and well being) is the idea that Britney is somehow still able to call her own shots creatively and assert her own voice into the various aspects of her work and brand, just like any other legitamate artist.

As we have watched other stars like Beyonce, Rihanna and Taylor Swift rise throughout the years, we have done so while watching them (sometimes enviously) craft successful GP loved projects incorporating their own personal footprints, styles and creative say so's, while Britney struggled to remember the names of her music video directors and who she was produced by.

Fast forward to today, and we now have a vibrant excited woman who has rebounded from her illness well enough to find the peace, faith, happiness, and clarity to call her own creative shots again. While not having the orginal music video may be upsetting to some of you, look at the larger takeaway. Britney's voice, direction, and creative input are back, and she has the POWER to do what she wants, or doesnt want to do as an artist again for the first time since In the Zone practically...

I saw one snarky comment about how "she promised us the beginning of a new era, and this is what she delivers, this is boring, justice for the original video"...well you might find this boring, but she didnt lie to us, it is the beginning of something new...after spending the first two decades of her career as an oversexualized object, she's happy and comfortable in her new skin as a well rounded mature woman...some of you just have to find a way to get comfortable with it too...otherwise, cancel the pre-order

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EXACTLY.

This.

This entire thing. The album, all of it is Britney's 'baby'. She has put SO MUCH WORK into everything she is doing and I refuse to be anything but supportive.

Love that girl like crazy and I'm so proud of her and everything she is doing. She seems REALLY happy and what people don't understand is just how hard she had to work to get there.

Guest Diamond Horse

To be honest, I love love love the fact that this video shows Britney's personality and actually it is funny to watch too, if you are not overly critical.

If Britney really didn't like the original, isn't it a good thing that it got scrapped?

Although, I would have liked to see Britney and G-Eazy together having fun. I know that it is not impossible.

8 minutes ago, The Moments said:

To be honest, I love love love the fact that this video shows Britney's personality and actually it is funny to watch too, if you are not overly critical.

If Britney really didn't like the original, isn't it a good thing that it got scrapped?

Although, I would have liked to see Britney and G-Eazy together having fun. I know that it is not impossible.

She is adorable in it. Do you see how embarrassed she gets when the guy is pouring the water on himself? lol she's so cute

I'm disappointed like everyone else, but I am not letting the music video kill my enthusiasm for this album. I'm not going to be a drama queen and cancel my album preorder. I just won't be watching the video ever again. Which is what most of the people on here need to do.... Calm down. If the release of a video is what's causing you to hate someone then you need to reevaluate your life goals. :cigney:

Archived