The most impotant takeaway from the Make Me video that no one is really picking up on

Army1

1 hour ago, Babyee_JD said:

A powerful positive thread, I needed..... Well done 

Thanks! Im glad to see people graviting toward it and feeling better. Shes been through a lot and she deserves the respect and support. Its sad to see that some cling on to slave 4 u britney and can't let her evolve beyond what her physical representation was in her prime. They fail to understand that in order for her to create controversy more and more *** year after year is just played out and tired coming from her, because thats what shes delievered her entire career. What would create controversy and GP interest is her becoming the antithesis of what she once was.  Create a dark brooding record with intense visuals centered around a sociopolitical statement, or peel back the layers on her mental health struggles in a Usher Confessions or Beyonce Lemonade storytelling type of way. The oversexualization route is basic af. Make Me is still a *** song and vid, but it's tastefully done, and the progressive sound of the music is a step in the right direction as she continues to grow as an artist. Hopefully her next project after Glory will mirror one of those kind of  ideas I mentioned above. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, MeowBurglar said:

EXACTLY.

This.

This entire thing. The album, all of it is Britney's 'baby'. She has put SO MUCH WORK into everything she is doing and I refuse to be anything but supportive.

Love that girl like crazy and I'm so proud of her and everything she is doing. She seems REALLY happy and what people don't understand is just how hard she had to work to get there.

Preach

7 hours ago, Army1 said:

Thanks! Im glad to see people graviting toward it and feeling better. Shes been through a lot and she deserves the respect and support. Its sad to see that some cling on to slave 4 u britney and can't let her evolve beyond what her physical representation was in her prime. They fail to understand that in order for her to create controversy more and more *** year after year is just played out and tired coming from her, because thats what shes delievered her entire career. What would create controversy and GP interest is her becoming the antithesis of what she once was.  Create a dark brooding record with intense visuals centered around a sociopolitical statement, or peel back the layers on her mental health struggles in a Usher Confessions or Beyonce Lemonade storytelling type of way. The oversexualization route is basic af. Make Me is still a *** song and vid, but it's tastefully done, and the progressive sound of the music is a step in the right direction as she continues to grow as an artist. Hopefully her next project after Glory will mirror one of those kind of  ideas I mentioned above. 

Couldn't agree more, great thread! I actually thought to myself the fact she vetoed something she was uncomfortable with was fantastic. I mean I know people don't like to hear it but she's told us before she doesn't like doing **** stuff as much anymore - she mentioned on Alan Carr and in the radio interview around that time when her team immediately tried to clarify it. That original video looked pretty full on, the scene with Britney and the guys was like a pack of men dry humping her. Cannot blame her for not being comfortable with that. 

54 minutes ago, Slave4Brit88 said:

Couldn't agree more, great thread! I actually thought to myself the fact she vetoed something she was uncomfortable with was fantastic. I mean I know people don't like to hear it but she's told us before she doesn't like doing **** stuff as much anymore - she mentioned on Alan Carr and in the radio interview around that time when her team immediately tried to clarify it. That original video looked pretty full on, the scene with Britney and the guys was like a pack of men dry humping her. Cannot blame her for not being comfortable with that. 

Exactly. She has so much more that she could talk about and do. The silver lining is shes doing what she wants to do and calling some of her own shots again as an artist. If people were to look at what would really work in 2016, its not Britney just delivering more and more ***. Imagine if she were to launch an era with a diane sawyer interview revealing what her exact mental illness is..when it came on, what triggered it, and what it did to her. Whether its bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, multiple personality disorder or any other combination, she could be very honest and raw and explore her journey through an album that reveals to the world what it is she was plagued with...how it made her think...what it made her do...how it affected everyone around her...and visually recreate that in songs and videos (maybe a whole visual album) with stylized images speaking to the decade long journey back to her triumphant return. Could you imagine a video recreating the night she locked herself in the bathroom with Jayden right before her epic collapse, but spoken in song in an artistic, thematic, apologetic way to her baby boy.  Something like that would send shockwaves throught the media. That would bring the GP back and make her rise again. Not her **** and ***...we know her body better than the back of our hands at this point. 

27 minutes ago, Army1 said:

Exactly. She has so much more that she could talk about and do. The silver lining is shes doing what she wants to do and calling some of her own shots again as an artist. If people were to look at what would really work in 2016, its not Britney just delivering more and more ***. Imagine if she were to launch an era with a diane sawyer interview revealing what her exact mental illness is..when it came on, what triggered it, and what it did to her. Whether its bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, multiple personality disorder or any other combination, she could be very honest and raw and explore her journey through an album that reveals to the world what it is she was plagued with...how it made her think...what it made her do, and visually recreate that in songs and videos (maybe a whole visual album) with stylized images speaking to the decade long journey back to her triumphant return. That would send shock waves throughout the GP and make her rise again. Not her **** and ***, we know her body better than the back of our hands at this point. 

I would absolutely LOVE to hear her candidly discussing these sorts of issues, I couldn't remember FTR so I recently rewatched it, and while it was interesting and definitely more interesting than most of her interviews these days it didn't address anything on mental health etc. I'm still waiting for the tell all book she promised at the end lol, I think her story would be VERY eye opening and there really must be so much we don't know, she is a true enigma. I can understand if she wants to keep these things private/won't discuss them, but gosh if she ever did I would be so there for it. We play the hands we're dealt and as always Britney gets on with things with no complaints but I think she has been given a very hard hand in that respect, she deserves all the love and respect for all her hard work. True respect for this queen, she is inspiring. 

While I appreciate the respectful tone of this thread, I'm not sure if I agree with the basic premise of it. I don't believe fans are upset that they didn't get an "oversexualized" Britney. (In fact, the new video is just the opposite - she's still wearing tiny outfits and shaking her ***. It's still very much a sexualized video.) 

What they're upset about is that they've repeatedly been told they're going to get apples, but always seem to be handed oranges. 

Her team needs to improve their communication with fans. If that were to happen, they could probably avoid 99% of the meltdowns.

Great read, even better thread.

Ppl here in exhale should stop being so selfish. This is her life, she's calling the shots now. Let her be allowed to express her creativity in whichever way she feels comfortable. There's a word for it: EVOLUTION

She promised a new era. I'm sorry but I can't see how she's failing to deliver it.

This thread just painted a huge smile on my face.

9 hours ago, breatheonher said:

I do agree that this is just a bump in the road of this era. Everything else has been great so far, and I believe that everything will continue to be great. The album is sounding great so far and Britney is really trying, and that's all that really matters to me tbh:drinky:

Amen 

9 hours ago, Army1 said:

Fast forward to today, and we now have a vibrant excited woman who has rebounded from her illness well enough to find the peace, faith, happiness, and clarity to call her own creative shots again.

Please, her creativity was in albums such as Blackout, not in this music video which is just a rushed mess with a generic storyline and some great visuals (the ones shot for the Private Show commercial).

:beynah:

2 minutes ago, Steel_Magnolia said:

While I appreciate the respectful tone of this thread, I'm not sure if I agree with the basic premise of it. I don't believe fans are upset that they didn't get an "oversexualized" Britney. (In fact, the new video is just the opposite - she's still wearing tiny outfits and shaking her ***. It's still very much a sexualized video.) 

What they're upset about is that they've repeatedly been told they're going to get apples, but always seem to be handed oranges. 

Her team needs to improve their communication with fans. If that were to happen, they could probably avoid 99% of the meltdowns.

I can appreciate the general frustration because of the years of us dealing with Britney's team and thier poor communication, but in regards to the video, where did they ever really promise us one thing and deliver another? The original version of Make Me was never even spoken of by the team, Britney or anyone else. Just Perez Hilton, leaks and Fanbase banter. I compeltey sympathize with the frustration but its  unfair to say their communication was poor and we werent given what we were promised because nothing but the official cut was ever spoken about. 

13 minutes ago, If U Seek Me said:

Please, her creativity was in albums such as Blackout, not in this music video which is just a rushed mess with a generic storyline and some great visuals (the ones shot for the Private Show commercial).

:beynah:

While the video may not be creative she is still calling the shots over her creative image, whether you find it to be bland or not.

And the whole blackout thing shows the naivity of some of the fanbase.  If you've ever been around anyone with severe mental Illness you know their limited capabilities at the onset especially

with no treatment.  Britney was in the peak of her breakdown during the creation of blackout, she was not coherent enough to be a creative influence or force on her own work. The output of blackout was due to creative producers and writers who put together an album during a time where she didnt even have the capacity to even know where she was or who she was at most times.  I love the album but that's the truth behind the situation 

19 minutes ago, Ricki Lake said:

When fans said they want her to have more creative control, they meant they wanted to to be writing songs and working on the album. Nobody asked for a watered down video. 

But this is what Brintey may find to be creative. Look at our girl's Instagram. She is very simple, grounded and normal.  Her Instagram reads more like a normal average day persons versus a pop megastar. Shes never presented a personal image of haute couture or immense artistry. She is very simple and basic and this si what she may find to be a creative output from her own personal frame of reference. But I'll tell

you, I would rather have something boring and bland that is authentically her, versus a big overproduced product where sheis still being led on a leash.  

10 hours ago, Army1 said:

Hey guys, 

Long time reader of exhale, first time poster. After jumping on and reading through all the meltdowns over the Make Me video, I felt compelled to join the conversation and bring up a point that not too many people have touched upon amidst all the chaos. 

First off, the notion that Britney's team flopped and this is "not her fault" needs to get out of the collective minds of those who are saying it. 

In all actuality, this video drama IS Britney's personal doing, and I say that in the most positive way possible.

Since the breakdown, we have gone through almost ten years (HALF of Britney's entire career) dealing with the ramifications of her mental illness. A period that brought on the semi lucid femme fatale era, xfactor, and the entire britney jean mess. Throughout this time, the one thing that the fanbase has always longed for/craved (aside from Britney's general health and well being) is the idea that Britney is somehow still able to call her own shots creatively and assert her own voice into the various aspects of her work and brand, just like any other legitamate artist.

As we have watched other stars like Beyonce, Rihanna and Taylor Swift rise throughout the years, we have done so while watching them (sometimes enviously) craft successful GP loved projects incorporating their own personal footprints, styles and creative say so's, while Britney struggled to remember the names of her music video directors and who she was produced by.

Fast forward to today, and we now have a vibrant excited woman who has rebounded from her illness well enough to find the peace, faith, happiness, and clarity to call her own creative shots again. While not having the orginal music video may be upsetting to some of you, look at the larger takeaway. Britney's voice, direction, and creative input are back, and she has the POWER to do what she wants, or doesnt want to do as an artist again for the first time since In the Zone practically...

I saw one snarky comment about how "she promised us the beginning of a new era, and this is what she delivers, this is boring, justice for the original video"...well you might find this boring, but she didnt lie to us, it is the beginning of something new...after spending the first two decades of her career as an oversexualized object, she's happy and comfortable in her new skin as a well rounded mature woman...some of you just have to find a way to get comfortable with it too...otherwise, cancel the pre-order

Amen. Britney in her 30s does not need to be made to dry-hump or bump-and-grind random nobody's for views.

The second version of the video, while missing the choreo, does have a lot of beauty and class. It's gorgeous visually compared to the trashy first version. I am so happy she wants to refocus on the song.

It's a lot more fun and cute. The first version is a Miley Cyrus kind of crapfest.

9 hours ago, i.love.trouble said:

i agree with what you said. I just don't get why this new video is still ****** af. Like worse comes to worse, she could've edited the **** out tastefully, the way they did it in toxic. Same with the *** shot at the beginning

I don't think that's why they scraped the video I think it's because it just didn't make no sense to song & the video is just random **** 

22 minutes ago, Army1 said:

I can appreciate the general frustration because of the years of us dealing with Britney's team and thier poor communication, but in regards to the video, where did they ever really promise us one thing and deliver another? The original version of Make Me was never even spoken of by the team, Britney or anyone else. Just Perez Hilton, leaks and Fanbase banter. I compeltey sympathize with the frustration but its  unfair to say their communication was poor and we werent given what we were promised because nothing but the official cut was ever spoken about. 

She did Instagram a number of pics and videos from the shoot:

- her and G Eazy with their arms around each other

- her with all of the male dancers

- her and Larry doing pushups together

Fans knew there was a David Lachapelle video coming. His name alone has value - fans knew he shot her Everytime video, her Onyx promo and her original Rolling Stone cover. They knew of the work he'd done with other artists (e.g. Christina's iconic Dirrty video.) That built up a certain expectation among the fan base.

I wish she had have sent out a single Instagram of her on the set of the new video, saying something like, "Change of plans, ya'll. Get ready for a new era." At the very least it would have prepped fans to change or even lower their expectations. The lack of communication has caused some cognitive dissonance between what fans thought they were about to get and what they actually did get - which was a 180-degree change when it came to the brand.

22 minutes ago, Steel_Magnolia said:

She did Instagram a number of pics and videos from the shoot:

- her and G Eazy with their arms around each other

- her with all of the male dancers

- her and Larry doing pushups together

Fans knew there was a David Lachapelle video coming. His name alone has value - fans knew he shot her Everytime video, her Onyx promo and her original Rolling Stone cover. They knew of the work he'd done with other artists (e.g. Christina's iconic Dirrty video.) That built up a certain expectation among the fan base.

I wish she had have sent out a single Instagram of her on the set of the new video, saying something like, "Change of plans, ya'll. Get ready for a new era." At the very least it would have prepped fans to change or even lower their expectations. The lack of communication has caused some cognitive dissonance between what fans thought they were about to get and what they actually did get - which was a 180-degree change when it came to the brand.

I can agree with a lot of what your saying. My inital reaction was one of disappointment too, until I started to look at the larger picture of everything I was talking about throughout the thread. 

And yes, you are right about there being subtle hints of what we could have initally expected. While the pic with g-eazy and video with larry doing push ups didnt really speak to anything, because g-eazy still appeared in the official cut with the same wardrobe and the push ups with  larry didnt really point to anything too specific, she did send the pic out of the male dancers in costumes that never appeared in the video and the mention of  Lachapelle, so I can see why someone sensical like you could be letdown. 

Im just trying to bring to light the positives of the situation and to alter the mond frame that to some (not you) is that an oversexualized Britney is what we need in 2016 to reclaim the throne/attention of the GP. I think what I suggested on the last page about an album covering her darkest times in a highly artistic and personal way would be more impactful. 

Archived