The most impotant takeaway from the Make Me video that no one is really picking up on

Army1

2 minutes ago, Army1 said:

I can agree with a lot of what your saying. My inital reaction was one of disappointment too, until I started to look at the larger picture of everything I was talking about throughout the the thread. 

And yes, you are right about there being subtle hints of what we could have initally expected. While the pic with g-eazy and video with larry doing push ups didnt really speak to anything, because g-eazy still appeared in the official cut with the same wardrobe and the push ups with  larry didnt really point to anything too specific, she did send the pic out of the male dancers in costumes that never appeared in the video and the mention of  Lachapelle, so I can see why someone sensical like you could be letdown. 

Music videos aren't a "thing" like they used to be, so I'm not really sure why younger fans are so disappointed...??

There was a time when music videos were mini movies - works of art. Directors like David LaChapelle and Mark Romanek were constantly pushing the boundaries. For me, hearing LaChapelle's name attached to the project gave me a renewed sense of excitement that I hadn't felt in a while - and is also what caused my own disappointment when I saw the final MM video. I was all like ~~~~> :awwww:

That being said, I absolutely LOVE the song and can really hear Britney as an ARTIST showing through. I'll probably just go back to watching the original audio video, because I don't care for the new one AT ALL. It was cobbled together too fast on too small of budget, with way too much product placement for my tastes. I'd rather watch a still of LaChapelle photo than a full non-Chapelle video. But that's just me speaking as music video connoisseur who is on the upper end of the age range for a Britney Spears fan.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Steel_Magnolia said:

Music videos aren't a "thing" like they used to be, so I'm not really sure why younger fans are so disappointed...??

There was a time when music videos were mini movies - works of art. Directors like David LaChapelle and Mark Romanek were constantly pushing the boundaries. For me, hearing LaChapelle's name attached to the project gave me a renewed sense of excitement that I hadn't felt in a while - and is also what caused my own disappointment when I saw the final MM video. I was all like ~~~~> :awwww:

That being said, I absolutely LOVE the song and can really hear Britney as an ARTIST showing through. I'll probably just go back to watching the original audio video, because I don't care for the new one AT ALL. It was cobbled together too fast on too small of budget, with way too much product placement for my tastes. I'd rather watch a still of LaChapelle photo than a full non-Chapelle video. But that's just me speaking as music video connoisseur who is on the upper end of the age range for a Britney Spears fan.

Im an older Britmey fan too so I understand the feels music videos of the past used to bring. What do you think of the post in tje thread where I talked about the idea of her creating an album about her mental illness? 

Britney shot to stardom based on her music videos (and performances). A Britney Spears video is a ******* EVENT. 

This Make Me video is so far below her standards that her team should have scrapped BOTH videos instead of tarnishing her videography. 

I'm 30 and I've been a fan since day one. This video is an absolute mockery of the Britney Spears brand.

We're talking about BRITNEY SPEARS!!!!!!  Not some d-list wannabe popstar. Someone needs to take responsibility for this tragedy and not sweep it under the rug!

9 minutes ago, Army1 said:

Im an older Britmey fan too so I understand the feels music videos of the past used to bring. What do you think of the post in tje thread where I talked about the idea of her creating an album about her mental illness? 

I would love that! 

Anything that comes off as truly authentic is fine by me. I love songs like "Why Should I Be Sad?" off of Blackout because they give us glimpses into her real life - the good and the bad.

But then again, some of my favourite photos of her are stripped down, barely there makeup shots like these:

1pfdqq.jpg

1 minute ago, agirlnamedlucky said:

Thank you for sharing a thoughtful, well-written post! I hope your words can calm the people who had meltdowns and realize that there is something good about this!

What's good about this? A video of Britney parodying herself? 

This is not the time to be delusinsional guys! There's too much at stake. Why are you accepting medocrity? 

Just now, Chico101 said:

What's good about this? A video of Britney parodying herself? 

This is not the time to be delusinsional guys! There's too much at stake. Why are you accepting medocrity? 

Guess you didn't read the original post...?

Also, the word is delusional...which is not what I'm being. I trust that Britney made the right decision for herself and if she's okay with it then who cares? Having complete tantrums and creating a stupid petition over a MUSIC VIDEO is the definition of delusional.

2 minutes ago, agirlnamedlucky said:

Guess you didn't read the original post...?

Also, the word is delusional...which is not what I'm being. I trust that Britney made the right decision for herself and if she's okay with it then who cares? Having complete tantrums and creating a stupid petition over a MUSIC VIDEO is the definition of delusional.

I don't care about the petition, that's pointless.

What I care about is the group of fans in this thread that somehow think it's ok how this music video was dealt with. The right decision would have been NO VIDEO. I cannot fathom how you could logically think the video that was released as a standalone video was a good decision.

In terms of the evolution of Britney Spears artistically this gets a failing grade. Even Britney's videos in the BOMT and OIDIA eras are artistically stronger. This has got to be a joke!

1 hour ago, Chico101 said:

What I care about is the group of fans in this thread that somehow think it's ok how this music video was dealt with. The right decision would have been NO VIDEO. I cannot fathom how you could logically think the video that was released as a standalone video was a good decision.

In terms of the evolution of Britney Spears artistically this gets a failing grade. Even Britney's videos in the BOMT and OIDIA eras are artistically stronger. This has got to be a joke!

Your obviously entitled to your opinion, and no one has said the video is a visual/creative masterpiece, its whats underneath it all thats important. And do you really think from what we've seen that the original would have contributed to her muscial and artistic evolution being a tackier, disjointed rehash of the Work ***** video? 

3 minutes ago, Chico101 said:

I'm glad you agree that the petition is pointless. And I don't think that anybody thinks this was dealt with correctly...it's been a big mess that could've been solved with some communication from Team Brit. I think that having no video might have caused just as many meltdowns though, people have been desperate to see it for months, and if they found out it was scrapped the meltdowns would be just as bad. 

I also agree that this by far one of her weakest videos. No one is denying that. But I don't think it's fair for fans to expect Britney to have to release a video that she doesn't fully believe in - that was the point of the OP, that she at least was able to say "I'm not comfortable with this," and pull the plug. 

1 minute ago, Army1 said:

Your obviously entitled to your opinion, and no has said the video is a visual/creative masterpiece, its whats underneath it all thats important. And do you really think from what we've seen that the original would have contributed to her muscial and artistic evolution being a tackier, disjointed rehash of the Work ***** video? 

That's why I'm saying NO VIDEO would have been better than releasing either one. Her team royally messed this up and you guys are accepting it!

9 minutes ago, Chico101 said:

That's why I'm saying NO VIDEO would have been better than releasing either one. Her team royally messed this up and you guys are accepting it!

No were not proud of the output, but her ability to take control over her artistry and brand...even if that artistry and brand comes off as bland in a music video project that she didnt have much time to work on after actually having the power and authority to axe the first version, regardless if Larry, a&rs, or her record label may have wanted it. 

Archived