Britney on why she doesn’t make “personal” music (2003)

So pretty. There WERE exceptions on most albums, but her DNA as an artist had a lot to do with selling an aspirational lifestyle and frothy, fun, **** escapism. Really makes you wonder what any new album would be like; is steering clear of being super personal still an option now that the lid has been lifted this much? Always the most interesting woman in pop.

• Love 5
  • Like 1

The way she says that people who write personal songs “have to go to bed with that every night” and are “kind of overexposing” themselves sounds strangely sharp in the full context. Maybe she was - rightfully - angry about Justin and Cry Me a River? She’s not outright saying that writing personal songs is always wrong, but she sounds like she’s making a huge generalization. Perhaps instead of saying “my opinion” she could’ve just said something akin to “for my situation.”

Lots of artists release personal songs and manage to feel comfortable and even inspired by their openness. No, it’s not for everyone, but feeling overexposed isn’t always the outcome. Look at artists like Eminem, Christina, Metallica, Mariah Carey, Linkin Park, Amy Lee, etc. who have written about sobriety, love for one’s friends and family, bullying, depression, etc. The artists said those songs were freeing and helped millions of people. Eminem only regretted the songs where he absolutely trashed his mother and ex-wife (Britney actually praised him for “complaining about the things women have done” to him in Chaotiv). Again, I wonder if Cry Me a River influenced this statement from B.

I’ve also never understood why she felt like she “went there too much” with the Britney record, yet didn’t feel like In the Zone was “overly personal?” Britney was a s-e-x-ual album and she was criticized for that, plus she was more involved in the writing process, but it hardly delved into her personal life - at least not in a way that was direct or recognized. You could argue that Touch of My Hand and Everytime were more “shockingly personal” than anything on Britney.

I think she just felt overexposed in general at this time because of the tabloids and paparazzi, especially after the breakup with Justin and all the coverage that followed. But her music didn’t overexpose her and I’m puzzled as to what “lesson” she learned (per the video). The lesson must not be related to her music. I can see why she’d feel the need to protect herself, but again - not because she was ever overexposed on a record. And truthfully, I feel like Britney contradicts herself sometimes.

Edited by NotBuyingIt
  • Love 3
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, NotBuyingIt said:

The way she says that people who write personal songs “have to go to bed with that every night” and are “kind of overexposing” themselves sounds strangely sharp in the full context. Maybe she was - rightfully - angry about Justin and Cry Me a River? She’s not outright saying that writing personal songs is always wrong, but she sounds like she’s making a huge generalization. Perhaps instead of saying “my opinion” she could’ve just said something akin to “for my situation.”

Lots of artists release personal songs and manage to feel comfortable and even inspired by their openness. No, it’s not for everyone, but feeling overexposed isn’t always the outcome. Look at artists like Eminem, Christina, Metallica, Mariah Carey, Linkin Park, Amy Lee, etc. who have written about sobriety, love for one’s friends and family, bullying, depression, etc. The artists said those songs were freeing and helped millions of people. Eminem only regretted the songs where he absolutely trashed his mother and ex-wife (Britney actually praised him for “complaining about the things women have done” to him in Chaotiv). Again, I wonder if Cry Me a River influenced this statement from B.

I’ve also never understood why she felt like she “went there too much” with the Britney record, yet didn’t feel like In the Zone was “overly personal?” Britney was a s-e-x-ual album and she was criticized for that, plus she was more involved in the writing process, but it hardly delved into her personal life - at least not in a way that was direct or recognized. You could argue that Touch of My Hand and Everytime were more “shockingly personal” than anything on Britney.

I think she just felt overexposed in general at this time because of the tabloids and paparazzi, especially after the breakup with Justin and all the coverage that followed. But her music didn’t overexpose her and I’m puzzled as to what “lesson” she learned (per the video). The lesson must not be related to her music. I can see why she’d feel the need to protect herself, but again - not because she was ever overexposed on a record. And truthfully, I feel like Britney contradicts herself sometimes.

just watched and she says in my opinion, and at least for me - many times 

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, super.nova said:

just watched and she says in my opinion, and at least for me - many times 

It’s the “my opinion” (which is very different than “for my situation”) combined with the full context of the video - including the dry “that’s fine, they have to go to bed with that every night” - that’s throwing me off. She could’ve articulated that better. She is generalizing too much and saying “my opinion” comes across as judgmental. She doesn’t get to have a general opinion about other artists’ personal songs leading to overexposure - only the artists can say how they felt. Tons of artists have personal songs and don’t feel “overexposed.”

She says “that’s not what it’s about, at least not for me” once, but again it doesn’t cover it in my eyes. Especially when none of her work from 1999 - 2001 was shocking to the point that it overexposed her personal life. So what lesson did she learn from her music? Example: Not a Girl and Slave were songs she absolutely related to, and her s-e-x-ual image was something she was constantly criticized for, but Not a Girl and Slave didn’t overexpose her personal life. And she only got more s-e-x-y in 2003 when this interview was completed. Again, contradictions. If anything, Everytime was far more personal in terms of directly addressing her personal life.

We can agree to disagree on this if you feel differently. I don’t like how she articulated this. But I understand she was going through a lot after Cry Me a River. JT’s song DID overexpose her - without her consent, too - and he was straight up awful and wrong.

Edited by NotBuyingIt
  • Haha 2

Lol I don’t trust itzney tbh. She was overworked and over it. I felt that as a fan then. What she said in her book is true her fans truly have a connection with her and can sense things. She went the ***ual route b/c jt exploited her. But she was proud of the Britney album and the songs that reflected her coming into her own. I think she still respects how personal and true to her life those songs are today. Hence naming her book “the woman in me” she’s also made personal songs herself That she adores. Like “piece of me” it’s as personal as it gets honestly 

• Love 6
  • Like 2

I really wonder how she feels about it now, 20 years later.

I feel like you can do deeper music without it having to be personal. "Heal the world" comes to mind.

I do think there comes a point, where superficial fun music just isn't doing it anymore.

• Love 5

but itzney was personal on everytime and now we know that song is even more personal than we thought before

Britney says a lot of things that doesn't match later on her actions :P we know this... I think she said those things in that interview because of what JT did

Edited by spreadmywings
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, spreadmywings said:

but itzney was personal on everytime and now we know that song is even more personal than we thought before

Britney says a lot of things that doesn't match later on her actions :P we know this... I think she said those things in that interview because of JT did

Yup, my exact thoughts as well.

She strikes me as someone who has always been deeply private with certain aspects of her life, I kind understand why she wouldn't want to do a song that is 'personal' per se, especially given how misunderstood she's been. I imagine the CMAR video felt like betrayal of the trust she once had with Justin. Didn't he say in his interview with Barbara Walters that he wouldn't reveal why they broke-up? Yet, he turns around and sells her out anyway

• Love 1

She has always said she doesnt like recording sad songs and given what has transpired in her live and she explained in the book it makes sense.  She has had so much bad shìt happen that it probably takes a lot to get through the day, so when she does get to do something that makes her happy she doesnt want to focus on the bad stuff. 

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Gutterguppy said:

She strikes me as someone who has always been deeply private with certain aspects of her life, I kind understand why she wouldn't want to do a song that is 'personal' per se, especially given how misunderstood she's been. I imagine the CMAR video felt like betrayal of the trust she once had with Justin. Didn't he say in his interview with Barbara Walters that he wouldn't reveal why they broke-up? Yet, he turns around and sells her out anyway

Exactly. Looking back, I totally respect those choices. They spoke of self-preservation. I mean, Miss Thing spent years having us believe her childhood was worthy of Beverly Cleary tales. Some of it might have been the influence of her label, as in their trying to present something palatable, but I also think she just really wanted to protect the nucleus of who she was, because she sensed even then that anything she shared would be weaponized. And she was right.

• Love 1

She was over it. But Britney seemed to be full of personal songs, or at least songs that reflected her feelings, and ITZ OBVIOUSLY had the most striking personal songs (even though they were drowning in the non personal songs, but that's part of why the album is great).

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block