Can I ask about Stages?

So before I say anything else I just wanna say I love stages and how raw it is. I love seeing Britney being so real and herself. However I never understood why it came out when it did and it all just seems strange. First it was very off brand… and I say that as in I think was the rawest we’d seen her. It was like getting our first look at the real her…. And at that time during the Britney era everything was so polished and you had crossroads, Britney’s dance beat. Everything seemed so brand oriented during this time. Second, the whole thing kinda seems dark and ominous because it all builds up to the storm in Mexico. 

looe I said I love it but it just seems like such a huge turn and it’s a bit imo sad with what happens in Mexico. The whole placement and tone of the movie just seems so out of normal for this era and also to show the Mexico scandal always kind of seemed sad to me. Just dark you know? 

• Like 5

This was to make money for her brother, he was involved in it, it was supposed to be a backstage doc the tour. I love it, but she was very sad (bc of her breakup with Justin) and really tired 

The book Heart to heart the money of that book went to Lynne, and this Stage doc the money went to Brian.

• Like 2
  • Super Mods

I think Stages was probably the most unfiltered and raw documentary/special from her prime and you can tell she was going through a lot especially since this was around the time Justin and her broke up.

She seemed a lot more irritable and not as sweet as she was before but I understand that when you are going through heartbreak, you aren't the most pleasant and happy person to be around.

So I do have empathy for her despite her surly demeanor in this documentary.

• Like 4

Thanks for bringing this up. I love the Stages book and documentary. It’s really dark and raw and I remember watching this as a 13 year old and being sort of freaked out by it at the time. It ends so abruptly and Britney does seem very sad, tired, overworked, ready to take a break, etc. It was also so interesting to see behind the scenes.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, PrinceAli89 said:

Thanks for bringing this up. I love the Stages book and documentary. It’s really dark and raw and I remember watching this as a 13 year old and being sort of freaked out by it at the time. It ends so abruptly and Britney does seem very sad, tired, overworked, ready to take a break, etc. It was also so interesting to see behind the scenes.

Yes I agree I was always so intrigued by how different it was from everything she had done before. It just had a darker and deeper tone. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, SwiftSpears92 said:

Yes I agree I was always so intrigued by how different it was from everything she had done before. It just had a darker and deeper tone. 

Yes, it shows how emotional and constrained she was. If only they let her to show her other side, her true colors.  There are many scenes that  feel so relatable to me and some of my then friends - because of the age -.  If I remember  well, she said in an interview that after a/the breakup 'you only want to be sad, be alone in your bedroom and cry' or something like that. 

Albert Maysles is the cinematographer!  'Gimme Shelter' (maybe that is why Brithey is singing The Stone's song,  'Grey Gardens', ' A visit with Truman Capote' and ' What's happening ! the Beatles in the U.S.A' ! 50th anniversary history GIF by Recording Academy / GRAMMYs

There is a synchronicity with the topics that I like..

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block