Cardi B shows some love to Britney

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

if you want to read all the article = :kisses_britney_kiss_blow_womanizer_love_circus:2008:

“I Feel Like 2007 Britney” has been long overdue for retirement as a “cute” little phrase hyperbolically announcing one’s fraught mental state. Plastered on every type of “merch” from t-shirts to coffee mugs to magnets, this “light-hearted” allusion to one of the most troubled years in Britney Spears’ life, a time when she was mercilessly mocked for having emotional difficulties, continues to be commodified. And this in spite of all the kumbaya bull**** of late about how we should treat mental illness with more dignity and respect as opposed to poking fun at those who have clearly suffered from its toll. Whatever Spears “has” (apart from Too Much Time Spent Under Media Scrutiny Syndrome), a “post-woke” public ought to realize the insensitivity of “I Feel Like 2007 Britney” by now, and that the narrative surrounding it is entitled to an overhaul.

Enter, rather unexpectedly, Cardi B. Making Britney and her newfound freedom a key part of her verse on Latto’s “Put It On Da Floor Again,” Cardi deftly references the frequent twirls and choreographic tirades paraded on Britney’s Instagram account—the premier source for endless dissection as fans continue to search for the “truth” behind her often arcane posts. While maybe, sometimes, “What U See (Is What U Get)”—except that time the #FreeBritney movement accurately read into her coded messaging for help throughout her conservatorship—Cardi is overtly Team Treat Britney Like A Grown-*** Woman Who Can Do Whatever She Wants. Going so far as to give Britney a rebrand herself. A process that tends to occur whether the pop star wants it or not—because, as most know, Spears has never had much agency when it comes to what people project onto her.

But surely, positioning Spears’ incessant dancing videos as a source of self-empowerment is far better than the opposing side of the rhetoric that insists she’s more “insane” than ever and should therefore be put back into a conservatorship. The commentary in favor of that “motion” reverberates with a chilling loudness at a time when society believes it has moved “beyond” the whole slap women with a “hysteria” or “witchcraft” charge so as to ultimately control them and keep the patriarchy alive and well.

As though to exemplify that point, “concerned” “fans” had police perform a wellness check on the singer back in January due to some of her “erratic behavior.”[1] Including not just her dancing videos, but also her arbitrary deletion of Instagram, which sent people into a frenzy thanks to the belief that she’s still somehow being “controlled.” Spears was so affronted by the infiltration into her supposedly free existence that she posted the comment, “I shut down my Instagram because there were too many people saying I looked like an idiot dancing and that I looked crazy.”

One person who patently does not feel that way and wants nothing more than for the dancing to continue is Cardi B. So it is that, during her one-minute verse for “Put It On Da Floor Again,” she raps, “I’m **** dancin’ in the house, I feel like Britney Spears.” To further emphasize that line, she appears in the video for the song wearing a t-shirt that reads, “I Feel Like Britney Spears.” Repurposing the phrase with a positive connotation whereas, in the past, likening oneself to Britney came with the stigma of possessing fragile mental health. Albeit intended as a “jocular” form of self-deprecation. Thus, with her seemingly small gesture, Cardi B is actively reshaping the enduring falsity that Britney is somehow “crazy” for dancing in her house all the time when, in fact, her dancing is not only ****, but a flagrant display of how she chooses to use her agency.

Unfortunately, Latto is in the mix to trivialize mental health in a similar fashion to the “I Feel Like 2007 Britney” mantra by declaring, “She thought I would kiss her ***, she must ain’t took her meds.” What’s more, Latto definitely wants to highlight that line by wearing it as a shirt in the video, specifically during the moment she’s working behind a pharmacy counter and throwing a slew of pill bottles up in the air. So yes, there’s still some work to be done on ableist language coming from the so-called “mentally sound.”

As for who Latto might be referring to with that line, one name in particular that pops up is Nicki Minaj. The two famously had beef after Latto expressed her affection for Minaj throughout her still-germinal career (as so many up-and-coming female rappers do), only for Minaj to leave a bitter taste in her mouth after dragging Latto into some Grammy controversy surrounding “Super Freaky Girl” being moved into the pop category for a nomination consideration, while Latto’s “Big Energy” remained, in the eyes of the Recording Academy, worthy of staying in the rap category. This “affront” to Nicki—that really had nothing to do with Latto—incited them to row on Twitter, with Latto calling Minaj a “40-year-old bully” and a “super freaky grandma.”[2] For comments about “being old” are always a tried-and-true insult of youths or the, let’s say, youth-identifying.

Edited by Agyness
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block