How relevant is Shakira in your country? How big was she at the time?

I am a big Britney fan, but I have always loved Shakira too, she has never really stopped being big and relevant since she started in the 90's all over Latin America.
My question is, how big or relevant in non Spanish speaking countries. 
Does she still play on the radio, do young people listen to her?
How big was she in her time?

1TUH.gifThreadbareInfatuatedLeafbird-max-1mb.gifshakira-whenever-wherever.gifshakira-whenever-wherever.gif

• Love 2

in France she got really famous with "whenever", so much that everyone thought it was her first album lol

Then second wave with "hips don't lie" but not as much I think. And then with "Loca" she got huuuuuuuuuuuuuge again even bigger than with whenever I think!

she has always been very popular because she's seen as down to earth and amazingly beautiful and natural. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, babyimmafreak90 said:

You don’t hear much from her in Australia anymore but Whenever Wherever and Can’t Remember To Forget You still get radio play. 
She was massive at her debut and peaked again with Hips Don’t Lie. I wouldn’t say she’s irrelevant but she’s definitely bigger in other countries, at least for the last 10 years. 

this

16 minutes ago, babyimmafreak90 said:

You don’t hear much from her in Australia anymore but Whenever Wherever and Can’t Remember To Forget You still get radio play. 
She was massive at her debut and peaked again with Hips Don’t Lie. I wouldn’t say she’s irrelevant but she’s definitely bigger in other countries, at least for the last 10 years. 

She is not irrelevant lol 

she is the 5th most listened musician on Spotify :cheese_Britney_awkward_cringe_eek:

For example, Britney is 83rd, Beyoncé is 30th and Taylor swift is 2nd 

• Haha 1
19 minutes ago, JP9101 said:

She is not irrelevant lol 

she is the 5th most listened musician on Spotify :cheese_Britney_awkward_cringe_eek:

For example, Britney is 83rd, Beyoncé is 30th and Taylor swift is 2nd 

I didn’t realise she was so listened to (on Spotify), so thanks for adding that. 
Please reread my comment, I definitely did not say she was irrelevant, just there are more talked about artists. 

Edited by babyimmafreak90
  • Love 1

She was huge with Whenever and Hips Don't Lie in my country. After that, her biggest hit was Waka Waka. It may seems like people in my country don't pay her attention but they all know her biggest hits. Also, Shakira covered (like Shak sang it in French and/or Spanish) one song of loved Czech singer and it was a huge deal here. However, she doesn't have much recognition among the GP nowadays. It's more like gen z listen to her songs and stuff but the GP sticks only to her biggest hits from 90's, 00's and 2010's (her hit with Maluma flopped here tho). And I bet if you asked someone on the street if they know Shakira, they would know. So, is she relevant here? – It depends from what side you look at it. As a person, philantropist or something like this – not so much | as a musician – very much.

• Love 1

To most Americans, she didn't exist until Suerte. She has never been the biggest artist in America but she has remained popular since her debut. To me, she is the face of Spanish American Pop music. I like a few of her songs but she is too safe for me to ever stan over. All of her edginess seems like cosplay and she's very good at blending into genres. She feels like an actress who, at times, gives deep emotional performances but never really gives her true self. She doesn't come off as personable unless you're naively buying into what she's selling at that moment. Despite all of that, I actually like Shakira and can see why other people love her. She seems like such a nice uncomplicated person.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Alex Murr said:

I am a big Britney fan, but I have always loved Shakira too, she has never really stopped being big and relevant since she started in the 90's all over Latin America.

1TUH.gifThreadbareInfatuatedLeafbird-max-1mb.gifshakira-whenever-wherever.gifshakira-whenever-wherever.gif

last time she was relevant in germany was with waka waka in 2010.

got big in 2002 with objection/tango and whenever whereever. we thought that was her debut.

hips dont lie and la totuga were noticeable. but already with she wolf in 2009 it wasnt a big thing.

waka waka was the last big thing.

we are always surprised that she is still alive. superbowl, her tax crimes in spain and the war of roses are news here but nothing musically

• Like 1

She has been HUGE in Argentina, almost since the very beginning (she used to come and tour and do interviews a lot here even during "Pies Descalzos"). Then she married the son of the president, so go figure... That was actually a low point in the local public view for her for political reasons, but I think that consolidated her as a regular celebrity fixture. And even though she doesn't sound as regularly on the radio now as she once used to, when she dropped her Bizarrap session everyone and their grandmas were talking about it here. Again. You can love her or hate her but she will be noticed and talked about, and I think that's the most important thing when you're a celebrity: to stay in the public eye. I think she's very relatable to us.

Edited by bitbitboi
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Alex Murr said:

In my country she was huge popular during her english debut album, and then  La Tortura/Illegal/Hips Don't Lie/Waka Waka and the last She Wolf, then nobody heard about her here.. 

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.