People are fighting over the word Obese again. Is it a slur or not?

Twitter erupts over claim the word ‘obese’ is a slur ‘used to dehumanize us and harass us’

A "vegan leftist" faced backlash earlier this week after she tweeted the term "obese" is a dehumanizing "slur."

Twitter user @hutchleah posted her thoughts on the offensive nature of the term "obese" to Twitter Monday, claiming it was "a slur … used to dehumanize us and harass us."

Many reminded the user that "obese" is actually a technical term denoting someone with a high body fat content. 

By Friday afternoon her tweet had been viewed over 2.4 million times and had received thousands of comments and retweets. 

The tweet even received an official community-based fact check from Twitter that cited relevant information from the World Health Organization. It stated, "Obese is a technical term. According to the WHO, ‘Overweight and obesity are defined as abnormal or excessive fat accumulation that presents a risk to health. A body mass index (BMI) over 25 is considered overweight, and over 30 is obese.’"

ARTICLE:

Obese-Man.jpg?ve=1&tl=1
WWW.FOXNEWS.COM

Twitter users slammed an account for tweeting that the term "obese" is a dehumanizing "slur" against fat people that should no longer be used.

It’s not a slur but I think it’s in poor taste to use it outside a technical context like a medical setting or a scientific research paper. Otherwise, calling someone obese, even if they are, is quite rude. 

Firstly, fat people know they’re fat so pointing it out is only mean spirited. Secondly, there’s many reasons people struggle with obesity and we should show them kindness, dignity, respect and encouragement.

• Love 5
  • Haha 2
  • Like 1

Like it’s not a slur, but as mentioned above it can be very rude an uncalled for, in particular if you’re using it to shame someone. I remember even three years ago when Stan Twitter adopted the random ‘fat’ no context joke, and while I used it it was quite weird to be using it as someone with an ED. In retrospect I hate that too lol

• Like 1

I'm 6 foot even and 302 pounds, so by definition I'm morbidly obese. People don't think that however because I don't look like it and quite a bit of the weight is muscle. In fact, some people have just called me "chubby" - not even fat.

Regardless, I've never considered obese a slur, it's literally a medical definition.

jesus h christ like get some brain cells girl, it's a normal medical term. What's next? We should stop call humans "humans" because it's an outdated term that does 'more harm than good?' If you find it so inappropriate, don't use the word but I dunno what this drama is about. Like, you don't like it → ok, your business. You want it to be eradicted → I don't see any valid reason why. Aholes like her makes me despise people so much actually Obvi, there are times when this word is thrown around like unnecessarily but this is not the case. Grow some brain cells. :bedtime_britney_book_Reading:

4 hours ago, Neydelinska Spearsi said:

Quick scroll through her twitter. She called herself fat. :orangu_orangutan_ape:

Is that dude in the Twitter video you?

Edited by Groundbreaking
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

I honestly can't with the woke people. It has come this far we can't call things as what they are.

Gay is also being used as a slur, yet NOBODY makes a point of it. It isn't the word that's the problem, it's those people that use it to hurt people what the problem really is.

Making of choosing a different word to call something doesn't change A SINGLE THING, they eventually use that word as a slur too.

So instead of people getting angry about a word, they should get angry about how certain humans get raisef by their folks.

Edited by Midnights
  • Like 5

No it’s not a slur. If you’ve gotten so big, that your body starts to exhibit an unhealthy shape, baggy, saggy and frankly unattractive..  that’s a big problem. No one ever goes to the gym to gain fat, that’s for damn sure. No one has an excuse not to attempt to adhere to a healthy lifestyle. Calling out “fat shamers” because you don’t enjoy the objective truth, is no body positivity, it’s denial. And that’s wrong. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Groundbreaking said:

jesus h christ like get some brain cells girl, it's a normal medical term. What's next? We should stop call humans "humans" because it's an outdated term that does 'more harm than good?' If you find it so inappropriate, don't use the word but I dunno what this drama is about. Like, you don't like it → ok, your business. You want it to be eradicted → I don't see any valid reason why. Aholes like her makes me despise people so much actually Obvi, there are times when this word is thrown around like unnecessarily but this is not the case. Grow some brain cells. :bedtime_britney_book_Reading:

Is that dude in the Twitter video you?

I'm just trying to keep exhell alive :imacat_cat_hiss_meme_white_kitty_mad: And no, the guy in the video isn't me.

• Haha 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block