Did Madonna sabotage Me Against The Music?

I love this song but I think it as not enough for this iconic collaboration. I get they must have no time to create something 100% new but I would liked for them to create a song together instead of just having Madonna jumping on Britney's solo track ! 

Anyway, the performance of me against the music at the Circus tour is my favorite performance ever ! I loved the remix and I loved the costumes and how she dances with her dancers ! I wish Madonna would have come for a show for this one !

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Cancer said:

Some of the lyrics are gross too. "Hey Britney, you say you wanna lose control? Come over here I got something to show ya!" sounds like a bloody threat.

:blol_britney_2011_ff_femme_fatale_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_lmao: Never thought about it that way! 

love the video. The choreography, oh my god! Decent song...not great. I don't think I'd call it lead single material, especially if it were without Madonna as she certainly added some marketing appeal at the time, not that Britney needed duets to have hits. As a fan, I definitely appreciate this song for the video's highlights more than anything. I'm happy she had a song with Madonna. I can think of a lot of Madonna collabs I like better though like 'Crave' with Swae Lee. 

I strongly disagree that Madonna tried to sabotage it. Madonna has a huge ego and wants her projects to succeed, especially she she was in the video. If everyone hated it, it would be embarrassing for her. 

• Love 1

I personally think MATM was great until the chorus. I LOVE the build-up pre-chorus that almost sounds like a rap. It gives soooo much energy and her dance moves during that part slays.

However, the song doesn't carry that same energy during the chorus and the chorus falls kinda flat in my opinion. I just think the chorus of MATM is one of the weakest chorusses her songs until then had.

Madonna also didn't bring much into it except from the video, which honestly is iconic on its own.

But yeah, I think it was her worst leadsingle choice even beating Make Me. Toxic should have been the leadsingle. The fact Toxic was the first song to perform during the Onyx Hotel kinda proves to me, Britney felt the same way. It was and still is the better opener.

Britney barely performed the original MATM anyway. Only during POM she did but even on the Onyx and Circus Tour, the song was heavily remixed while Toxic on both tours was relatively kept as the original apart from an extended dance break. Which, again, proves at least somebody thought the original MATM was too soft and flat.

I wonder how ITZ would have done if Toxic was released first. Not that it did bad or anything but I am 100% sure that in that pre-streaming era, sales would have been even better with Toxic as the lead.

So let's just I don't hate MATM and I don't think it sabotaged the era but I do think it was the weaker choice.

Then again...Britney had to fight for Toxic. Imagine a world where I Got That Boom Boom was released. Yikes! 

Spoiler

Which is the only song I ALWAYS skip on the album!!

• Haha 1
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, Midnights said:

I personally think MATM was great until the chorus. I LOVE the build-up pre-chorus that almost sounds like a rap. It gives soooo much energy and her dance moves during that part slays.

However, the song doesn't carry that same energy during the chorus and the chorus falls kinda flat in my opinion.

:urite_wendy_williams_red_yes_earrings_nod_proud_wow_impressed: I don't know why I never quite realized this is what didn't work for me in this song. 100% accurate. Verses that sounded unique for her body of work with so much attitude...and then the chorus just deflates. The video can make up for that with the choreography, but the song itself has a weak chorus. 

Britney had achieved so much success by that point. Imagine how she felt getting to release a single with one of her inspirations… it’s a great song, it’s a great video. Whether it resonated with the world or not doesn’t take away from the impact Britney and Madonna have had. My two cents 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Love 5

I disagree but there is something to it that feels a bit flat in my ears.. It’s a great song and collaboration but the single was made without Her being a part of it, so the producers just put her into the song after the fact. If the two of them actually had a song that was organically theirs, them recording and making magic in the studio, that would be fire! But MATM slays, it’s kinda Perfect.. it only makes sense in Britney’s music & story.

I  C  O  N  I  C

💅🏻

• Like 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block