Kelis Responds To Beyoncé Sampling Her Song Without Permission on 'Renaissance'

Cqleb

That one piece of hair that kept falling down was doing my head in. :beyfedup_beyonce_sunglasses_fed_up_annoyed_ok_wow_smh:

But, I kind of agree with her. It's a respect thing. If they both know people in the same circle as she claims, why not simply reach out and say FYI I'm sampling this song. Or record execs should have reached out. Someone. Anyone.

For Kelis to find out the same way as everyone else leaves a bad taste, and doesn't look good on Beyonce no matter what people in here try and say. 

The fact that this isn't the first time something like this has happened leaves a bad taste too. Like, FFS, learn, provide credit, reach out to the artists/producers, and stop Thiefoncé claims in their tracks before the album is released. Guess that's too logical though. :bareclap_beyonce_slow_clapping:

• Like 8
3 hours ago, itsxrichiexbish said:

I knew I never liked Pharrell for a reason ... And guess what pharell... I'm never gonna stream the coed version of boys any more...furthermore...ur song happy sucks

The original version (and Slave) are by Pharrell too..

• Love 2
  • Haha 1

Oh brother. Wait until the Knee stans find out that “Slave 4 U” and “Boys” instrumentals were literal knock-offs and basically carbon-copies from the songs on ‘Kaleidoscope’ and ‘Wanderland’. And yet they want to stay mad at Beyoncé?

spacer.png

Might as well keep that energy for Britney. Ahh some of you international fans never cease to make me laugh!

spacer.png

Look, I love and respect Kelis’ artistry but this sounds more along the lines of an issue she has with Pharrell rather than with Beyoncé. Like what was Beyoncé supposed to do? Call Kelis when Pharrell literally has the licensing to her music since he’s the literal co-producer/co-writer of the song??? A perfect example of don’t hate the player, hate the game.

Spoiler

spacer.png

• Like 1
10 hours ago, DougfromBrazilIsBack said:

I hardly think Beyoncé would sample without paying it. I don’t think she has to give notice to singer maybe the label or something. Sometimes the singer does not own the music.

Honey we both love Beyonce artistically, but let's not be delusional: If Kelis, a well known artists is THAT fustrated and mad spilling tea, is because it happened! 

So second one sampled without asking for permission nor paying for the rights

:oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand: Bey being yoncé

• Love 1
  • Haha 2
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, Whyshouldibsad21 said:

Ooooffffff this speaks to a bigger problem in that artists do not get to own their own songs. I get that stan culture will have some people telling her to shut up and sit down because Beyoncé is their fave but this is so cringe, whoever it is. If it was Britney, Ariana, Lady Gaga, this is disrespectful. She might not own her ish but still give her some respect. It might not be the legal thing but it’s decent.

Britney used bebe rexha's song on the VMA without her knowledge as well. And bebe herself said she was upset about it. I call it overreacting. Better remembered than not remembered. 

• Haha 1
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, cchenbag said:

Britney used bebe rexha's song on the VMA without her knowledge as well. And bebe herself said she was upset about it. I call it overreacting. Better remembered than not remembered. 

According to this video, she was more surprised than upset.

• Love 3

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block