Lady Gaga drops the music video for "Hold My Hand"

First of all, the handling of this single is awful. Why release it on a Tuesday when the tracking week begins on Friday? And why release only the audio but no music video? Not that music videos do well on YT anymore anyway unless they go viral, but still why sabotage the song's potential success?

As for the song itself... I don't like it on first listen. I didn't like Shallow on first listen either, but it still felt like the better song. The lyrics in this are too trite. Not that Gaga's some amazing songwriter most of the time anyway, but these lyrics still aren't up to her usual standard; even Shallow had less contrived lyrics and just look at the state of that. The melody is fine but the chorus is too power-pop and shouty. It'll sound better when performed live I bet, but the vibe of the song doesn't feel right. It's like a BTW song released 10 years too late. 

• Like 2

Gaga is such a beautiful singer! This gives me "Chromatica" vibes, very soulful and melodic, and heavily based on vocals. I don't know why so many of you referenced the "Born This Way" album, I don't see the connection. This goes right between "Free Woman" and "Fun Tonight".

It's so sad that fans aren't vibing with this version of Gaga, it's more honest and stripped down that usual. I guess she spent too many years being too theatrical and dramatic, and that's why you hate this more simplistic and straightforward version of herself? That's exactly why I'm liking her so much as a singer lately...

Also, we need more singers SINGERS, like Gaga now, or Kelly Clarkson. Like, those vocals..... We're so used to dance tracks from pop girls that whenever I hear someone actually singing, I'm blown away.

The lyrics (from Genius):

Spoiler

[Intro]
To tell me you need me

[Verse 1]
Hold my hand, everything will be okay
I heard from the heavens that clouds have been grey
Pull me close, wrap me in your aching arms
I see that you're hurtin', why'd you take so long

[Pre-Chorus]
To tell me you need me? I see that you're bleedin'
You don't need to show me again
But if you decide to, I'll ride in this life with you
I won't let go 'til the end

[Chorus]
So cry tonight
But don't you let go of my hand
You can cry every last tear
I won't leave 'til I understand
Promise me, just hold my hand
[Verse 2]
Raise your head, look into my wishful eyes
That fear that's inside you will lift, give it time
I can see everything you're blind to now
Your prayers will be answered, let God whisper how

[Pre-Chorus]
To tell me you need me, I see that you're bleedin'
You don't need to show me again
But if you decide to, I'll ride in this life with you
I won't let go 'til the end

[Chorus]
So cry tonight
But don't you let go of my hand
You can cry every last tear
I won't leave 'til I understand
Promise you'll just hold my hand

[Post-Chorus]
Hold my hand, hold my—
Hold my hand, my hand
I'll be right here, hold my hand
Hold my hand, hold my—
Hold my hand, my hand
I'll be right here, hold my hand
[Bridge]
I know you're scared and your pain is imperfect
But don't you give up on yourself
I've heard a story, a girl, she once told me
That I would be happy again

[Post-Chorus]
Hold my hand
Hold my hand
Hold my hand, hold my hand
Hold my hand, hold my hand
Hold my hand

[Outro]
I heard from the heavens

PS: The "goat sounds" at the beginning were confusing though... I appreciate when artists get creative, especially in a ballad, where everything is pretty much assumed already, but that still needs work...

• Love 4

Finally, one last thought... Please don't pidgeonhole artists. You're already doing that with Britney, almost punishing her for releasing tracks that veer from her popstar persona, like "Criminal" and "Make Me", when in fact that's what they need to keep themselves in the business and make things fresh and be respected by peers. They all need room to explore, and each stage in their lives has something different to offer, which eventually will translate into their music/art if they are honest people. Britney and Gaga are, undoubtedly.

• Love 3

Now this sounds beautiful, especially as a soundtrack. I love when Gaga goes ballad. In fact, my fav songs are mainly ballads or those that focus on her vocals. She sounds phenomenal on the chorus and it is super explosive which I love. 

This feels like a song you'd play after a bitter-sweet ending where the main character loses a loved one. It's definitely a grower. 

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block