What Happened to Katy Perry’s Career? A look at one of pop music’s most abrupt downfalls

"I Kissed A Girl" and "Hot N Cold" were HOT :barbie_hair_flip_hairflip_weave_proud_cocky: and then the Teenage Dream era? OH MY GOD :melt_weird_drift_wow:

But since PRISM I started to Sashay Away GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

And it wasn't because of the songs, it was about... her :parisok_hilton_chewing_gum_pink_phone_Reading: And by Witness... Argue Peace Out GIF

and Smile? i dont know her mariah carey GIF

It's weird because I never liked Taylor, (I don't know if I do now) but I still listened to her songs :emma: Not a fan and I listened to folklore like I was :quirkney_britney_well_welp_giggle_lol_hehe_haha_laugh_joke: and I expect the TVs

It is SO weird tho, how can she fell so hard kinda fast, in her second decade she was out and entered her third even worse. I hope she can come out with a BOMB album or a collection of BOMB singles, she still has the aesthetics and not everybody has that 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I became a fan of Katy right before I Kissed A Girl blew up. The more pop/rock sound of One of the Boys really appealed to me. Then with Teenage Dream she said she wanted to make a “perfect pop” album, which she did exactly that. However, the success of that album went to her head and she 100% lost her artistry(imo, allegedly and for entertainment purposes only).

She was going to go in a different direction with her third album, after her divorce. We were hoping for something more mature and “dark.” But something happened and we got TD 2.0 with Prism, that was the real beginning of the end. There was no more evolution or growth and Witness era felt like it our 16yo preaching to you about politics because of that.

Her problem is constantly regurgitating the same **** thinking people are going to go crazy about it. I think rereleasing TD and those songs also being massive kinds sent the wrong message to her and the label of just keep doing more of the same. Never Really Over was trying to recreate the TD feeling and the whole Smile era was throwing **** at the wall and seeing what sticks.

She needs to forget about the charts and the gays and the kids and stop talking about Britney (PERIOD) and make something authentic. Because that’s what her appeal was in 2008, she seemed authentic and now she doesn’t. At least Gaga and Taylor still feel authentic to the artists they started out as.

(side note; Xtina has the same problem)

• Like 4

I don't think she's a very interesting and mysterious artist. She never touched me or told me anything with her music and visuals. She always felt kinda dull to me. Her music was catchy, but it's nothing that really I thought "wow this is epic". It was either "I wanna see your peacock", or "teenage dream" or "your love is extraterrestrial", "youre hot and youre cold youre a lot of contradictions" all wrapped up in catchy melodies perfectly engineered to climb the charts, but not necessarily touch someone's heart or to stand the test of time. Her visuals were the closest thing to interesting but they never evolved. She also seems kind of a bully with the Ur So Gay stuff... and some other stuff throughout her career. I'm glad she's better off than her depression times, but she's not the kind of person inspiring me. She trying to push the "purposeful pop" angle is really funny to me, because she rarely has something purposeful to say.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block