What Happened to Katy Perry’s Career? A look at one of pop music’s most abrupt downfalls

If you look at simply her streaming numbers, she's the number 26th most streamed artist on the planet. Hardly any "downfall". I think people are too in their bubble to objective about what the definition of success and relevance is. Not everyone needs to be in our faces 24/7 to be super successfull. "Downfall" is a bit melodramatic. 

• Like 9
10 minutes ago, Martian_M00d said:

If you look at simply her streaming numbers, she's the number 26th most streamed artist on the planet. Hardly any "downfall". I think people are too in their bubble to objective about what the definition of success and relevance is. Not everyone needs to be in our faces 24/7 to be super successfull. "Downfall" is a bit melodramatic. 

This is a downfall! Her streaming numbers are driven by her previous hits! She barely chart, her legacy is week, she is trying too hard ..her only success was Teenage dream, Prism was extension of teenage dream success..she is falling straight after that. 

Given she started with TS and Gaga, she is falling behind and flopping hard

• Love 2
  • Like 2
7 minutes ago, Sourab Patodi said:

This is a downfall! Her streaming numbers are driven by her previous hits! She barely chart, her legacy is week, she is trying too hard ..her only success was Teenage dream, Prism was extension of teenage dream success..she is falling straight after that. 

Given she started with TS and Gaga, she is falling behind and flopping hard

And Gaga is currently 48th most streamed, despite releasing more albums than her. 

• Like 2

She cut her hair, supported Hillary, got "woke" and lost the GP. Which just goes to show that many of the straight folks who liked her music during her 1st 3 eras must've been Trump supporters. :grimace_judging_judge_squint_ew_gross_red_white_annoyed: Also she stopped working with Dr. Luke, which imo was the right decision morally speaking, but it also shows that he was the secret behind most of her hits and success.

She'll probably never re-peak at this rate. She might score a few quick lil singles in the future like she did with NRO and a couple of her collaborations, but she'll never be a real force in music anymore imo. And it still gets me that some people thought she'd actually make $160 million from 32 shows at her residency. :airpls_gaga_wheeze_eyes_wide_breathe_lady_lmao_lol_haha_hehe_omg_surprised_shocked: 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Martian_M00d said:

And Gaga is currently 48th most streamed, despite releasing more albums than her. 

Streaming comes from playlisting and curation of them gaga shallow was a monster if we want to just talk about numbers then Shallow stands at 1.7B not even a single Katy digital era hit has that though. 

You want to bring numbers then look both sides, Katy numbers are heavily driven from Playlisting and no doubt she has some hits as well. 

When I was younger I didn’t realize all those hit songs I liked by her all came from the same album (teenage dream until recently). That’s a problem because that means I’ve only liked like 1 or 2 songs off her other albums thinking her hits were more spread it out…seems she had one great album and rode that success for as long as she could! Also don’t feel she ever had a true artistry, the quality of her writing went way down! She use to tell a story now it’s just catchy vague line or cheeky phrase after the next…she became like a second rate Gaga at one point… then she dug herself in a hole with the Britney comments! 

i will say I think it’s ****ed up how people turned on her just because she changed her look….her hair wasn’t even naturally dark…. It’s a shame you lost her signature zoey deschannel  look at suddenly lost the gp. 

i also liked woke Katy I enjoyed the message behind “chained to the rhythm” it was hard to listen to the rest of the album. The migos really Katy, that felt out of place didn’t even match the song or style…

well I wish her luck I believe she will have great success as a touring artist she should stop trying to reinvent herself and just perform her hits and show off her talent, maybe she should go on jimmy fallon do some musical impressions!

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block