Pride Month: Throwback when drag queen Conchita Wurst won big international Eurovision Song Contest in Europe

BN-CS934_1wurst_GR_20140510185455.jpg

Many Americans still don't know what Eurovision is so let me explain :tiffdrink_miss_ms_ny_new_york_drinking_sips_sipping_tea_straw: First of all, it's huge in Europe. Every country in Europe; Australia, few countries from Asia choose their representative artist and their song, performance every year. They just perform their song live and everyone sees it on TV, live-stream on YT etc. (you can easily find almost every contest on YT in high quality) and people vote for the best, there's also jury that gives points but people hate em cause they suck. Two days for semi-finals and one day for finale. It is aired in a lot of countries, even these homophobic as hell. It's good as the contest is really LGBT-friendly. It's a really big event in Europe, like UEFA EURO, it unites countries for a moment. This contest has existed since 1956 and it gave us a lot of hits, amazing songs and big artists like ABBA, Celine Dion. There's also a lot of cringy moments when songs countries perform suck but it's fun :hahaha_tiffany_ny_new_york_ms_miss_cackle_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_lmao: When a country wins - the next contest happens in their country. 

Conchita.jpg

Spoiler

Throwback when drag queen Conchita Wurst won Eurovision 2014 with her powerful song ''Rise Like a Phoenix'' about acceptance etc. Imagine drag queen performing on TV in extremely homophobic countries and she wins thanks to people's votes & jury :urite_wendy_williams_red_yes_earrings_nod_proud_wow_impressed: Big moment for LGBT community. But people were mad AS HELL. It was terrible. Everyone were talking about it in Europe no matter if comments were positive or negative.  

There's a lot of different LGBT artists with good songs like:

- winner in 2019 (he has a fiance rn so he's taken, girls & boys :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad: tho his future husband is even hotter). This song went viral on TikTok, right?

- 2nd place in 2019. 

Transgender NikkieTutorials was one of the hosts this year. 

EYKpshGWAAAXEeP.jpg:large

Gay man as a host in 2019 with Madonna that performed that night:

Assi-Azar.png

& other LGBT people I don't remember :ohreallylol_tiffany_pollard_miss_ms_new_york_ny_laugh_lol_haha_lmao_hehe_cackle:

You as Americans probably see it as a not big deal but you have to remember that in Europe there's still a lot of extremely homophobic countries that would censor trans people, gay kiss etc. if it wasn't live. 

@Midnight @Jordan Miller feature it :bang_gun_dance_boom_blue:conchita.JPG.da14989c1e445400ce874daec9e04cfd.JPG

• Love 5

Eurovision is the most entertaining music event in the world right now  :makeitrain_britney_blush_headphones_omg_wow_happy:  There’s so much diversity and you can always discover interesting artists from different countries that if it wasn’t for the show you probably wouldn’t ever know. 

Spoiler

Does Mahmood have a fiance? I don’t think he has. A simple google search couldn’t find him. :clicktina_xtina_christina_aguilera_mouse_computer:

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Look But Don't Touch said:

It was about Duncan

lpxilrwfz8r51.jpg

Oh true. My reading skills suck, sorry. :britdrown_britney_tears_crying_drown_ink_black:

But yeah Mahmood is also queer and has an album coming out in a couple of weeks!

For the sake of staying on topic, I don't know if Americans know Loreen, but they should! Euphoria was huge in Europe and it should have charted in the US. The performance is better than anything we've seen at the Grammys in years.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Itfeelskindagood said:

Not you forgetting to mention when Serbia won with Molitva sung by Marija Serifovic... it was a huge deal because she is openly gay, which is rare to see in serbian media

(it’s a beautiful song... I still get chills when I listen)

That's why all of u are here to educate me & other people about other LGBT moments in Eurovision, honey :tiffdrink_miss_ms_ny_new_york_drinking_sips_sipping_tea_straw: 

I only mentioned people I know cause it was like me being mature/old enough tu understand it I guess so I remember them.  

46 minutes ago, Look But Don't Touch said:

That's why u are here to educate me & other people about other LGBT moments in Eurovision, honey :tiffdrink_miss_ms_ny_new_york_drinking_sips_sipping_tea_straw: 

I only mentioned people I know cause it was like me being mature/old enough tu understand it I guess so I remember them.  

Ireland: gaycouple on stage. 

It was broadcasted in China as well, but not anymore after this performance, bye China! :rihclap_rihanna_clapping_applause_yes_yas:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block