Bigger overall career? Britney vs Taylor

well?  

136 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, InTheZone4Life said:

Femme Fatale Britney kept the industry on their toes? You’re dreaming. :sofedup_fed_up_miss_ny_ms_new_york_done_tiffany_pollard_eye_roll_eyeroll_whatever:

Hold it against me broke the record for most sales in a debut week. Everyone, including Taylor and Rihanna, started incorporating dubstep in their music.

Not sure what else to call that. Now please go take a few seats.

• Like 1
On 4/3/2021 at 10:19 PM, InTheZone4Life said:

Because of that, I have to say Taylor is on track to surpass her. She already has the most awarded pop and country albums in history. She also has the highest grossing tour in North American history.

Just because y’all don’t want to admit that Taylor has massive star power, doesn’t make it true.

TBH Taylor physically can't surpass Britney's level of stardom just because culture is consumed much differently now, people just are a lot more respectful in terms of privacy so that type of celebrity is really hard to replicate, albeit it's not perfect and Taylor constantly being ridiculed by the media for her dating life or her promotional tactics is proof of that. Would be a diff story if Taylor debuted in the '90s.

• Love 1
On 4/4/2021 at 9:12 AM, HeavenOnExhale said:

Everything tbh ^

Also we need to consider Britney broke these records when there was no social media to very little streaming ^ I am talking about her first four eras. You had to go out and buy the singles. As well award shows weren’t as rigged either then. Social media and digital streaming has made it a lot easier for artists to go #1 Britney made her name outside of that. I read somewhere Taylor only gets these big opening sales because she sells bundles. 

That is to true. I can admit that Taylor Swift is one of the biggest phenomenons the industry has seen in a while, but I do not think she will be able to ever surpass Britney as a whole except on terms of creative control. 

• Love 1

It’s hard to tell at this stage as they both have around the same number of prime years. Britney Spears album sales went downhill the second part of her career while Taylor has remained steady ever since she debuted over a decade ago.

I am not sure who has sold more albums but I guess it’s Britney given her explosive album sales for her first theee albums alone. However this is not a metric that can be looked at alone because album used to sell quardruple the amount of what they sell today on average. Britney album sales performed better than her peers but not by a margin whereas TF album sales numbers are unheard of in this day and age. Again, relativity is key.

Then again, Britney’s has had more influence on the music industry as it was transitioning from traditional to digital. Britney gave us more iconic performances and moments (both good and bad). She was also a bigger phenomenon and a bigger star overall. It would really help if there are established metrics that can helps us fairly assess “success”. 

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block