Advice needed

1inamillion

My problem is not unique. It's actually very common, so I've decided to ask my fellow exhalers for some advice. It's about freaking anxiety. I'm having a job interview tomorrow and my mind just can't rest.

I've been having this extreme tachycardia lately and my anxiety has reached a toll on me. I've been experiencing my anxiety with physical symptoms, eg pain in the abdomen, heart race, even nausea and it's unbearable.

So, I wanna ask you guys how you deal with such issues and symptoms. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me doing breathing exercises really help. I counting to four as I inhale and then count to four again as I exhale. I also chant affirmations to myself when I feel that way.

Also doing some kind of relaxing activity like sketching also helps me.

I also try to think outside of myself if that makes sense... it gives me perspective on the situation and the root of my anxiety.

Hope that helps, anxiety sucks! Im sure you will smash your interview.

:hugs_madonna_britney_ftr_2008_circus_hugging_friends_support:

1 minute ago, 1inamillion said:

I didn't land the job but I'll see it as a win because I decided to ask for professional help. Thank you for your help anyways @nwonder @Slayer ❤️

I'm sorry you didn't get it this time, this just means something even better is coming your way! :hugs_madonna_britney_ftr_2008_circus_hugging_friends_support: 

I truly believe in things happening for a reason! You getting to that stage is amazing and you'll be even better the next time after this practice!

Also, i'm happy to hear you're going to see someone, I think that is amazing and admirable! More people definitely should do that :hugs_madonna_britney_ftr_2008_circus_hugging_friends_support:

Glad you're seeking professional help. I used to have horrible anxiety that would lead to major panic attacks. I did the breathing and concentrating on one thing and so forth- it wasn't enough. 

I never wanted to get help because I thought it embarrassing and weak to get help. If others can get over anxiety, i should too. But I got help and ive been on Zoloft for years and I am so grateful for it. I still get a little anxiety in certain situations but I live a "normal" life now. The medicine regulated me. 

Good luck! And know its not an overnight fix but I promise with time, the treatment will help!

This helped with my anxiety so i'll share it here

1. Anxiety is an evolutionary response to protect you. This is very important to know. Your body is trying to protect you. Back in the early days of hunting whenever we would see a tiger/wolf coming towards us, our adrenaline would spike up and bring us into the fight/flight response. In that very moment we don't have a second thought for eg: "Maybe the tiger ate something yesterday so he might not eat me today" No. Our body immediately goes into full fight/flight mode.

Now(2021) we have evolved so fast in so little time but we still have those tendencies(to protect us). So now whenever see "danger" our adrenaline spikes up and our mind goes into fight/flight mode but now we can't do it so we enter the state of panic mode. This is where you breathe.

2. Breathe in and out. Just breathe and focus on only breathing. The timespan for this adrenaline spike is mostly 1.5 mins so you'll be good in a few minutes. Mediation helps a lot and not just during high anxiety but even practicing it daily helps because you have more control over your emotions.

3. The third step is where you need to go back in time and remember when did it all start and coming to terms with that scar/insecurity.

There's also a grounding technique(5-4-3-2-1) that i read online like this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Just happened to stumble across this thread.

I'm not sure how you feel about medication but there are some (e.g. Propranolol) which can help specifically with the physical symptoms of anxiety.

They were originally designed to help with heart conditions so they're not antidepressants, but helping with the physical symptoms may give you some confidence back while you work on the cause. Might be worth looking into!

P.S. I'm not a medical professional, so please don't take this as medical advice!

16 hours ago, cillaward said:

Just happened to stumble across this thread.

I'm not sure how you feel about medication but there are some (e.g. Propranolol) which can help specifically with the physical symptoms of anxiety.

They were originally designed to help with heart conditions so they're not antidepressants, but helping with the physical symptoms may give you some confidence back while you work on the cause. Might be worth looking into!

P.S. I'm not a medical professional, so please don't take this as medical advice!

I am generally not a huge fan of medication, unless is needed or suggested by a doctor for my case.

So far, almost a month later I'm feeling better. I have some sessions with a phycologist which help a lot, I practice some yoga and try to enjoy the little things on life.

I'm glad that even a month later I'm seeing new responses and interests. It means a lot guys ❤️

Archived