Maddie Ziegler reportedly cried during rehearsals of Sia's film "Music" because she felt uncomfortable playing an autistic person

• Content Curators
6 hours ago, IForgotYouExisted said:

I find it a bit hard in the following way:

it's okay for straight actors to play a gay role in a movie ("Brokeback Mountain", "Love, Simon", ...) but it's not when an actor/actress plays an autistic role.

Feels a bit double imo.

For me personally it's okay if the actor/actress does research and knows how to play it. I mean, it [autism in this case] could even spark awareness to a larger audience which is a good thing to me.

I don't really know what to think honestly.

TALKING ABOUT THE ROLE CASTING DRAMA. NOT ABOUT MADDIE/SIA.

Cause if this article is true, then I fele really sorry for Maddie.

Now why did u just equate the life of a gay person to the life of a disabled person? 
not that there is anything wrong with people with autism but like? 
It’s not the same thing at all

• Love 1
  • Like 1

And to think that if she hired an actor which was autistic all this bad press wouldn't be happening, but I don't think anyone would be whiling to be associated with this garbage. 

As for people saying that it should be okay for an actor to play an autistic role, I don't think the problem lies in that but the fact that there are autistic actors who could do the job as well. When the whole film is about this subject, having a person dealing with that in her/his life might make the acting part more believable, instead a caricature like it is in this case, and would bring a lot more awareness to the topic.

I don't follow Sia's career, so I can't comment on her relationship with Maddie, but I don't think Sia will have much of a career after this mess. 

10 hours ago, Britneyarmy8 said:

Now why did u just equate the life of a gay person to the life of a disabled person? 
not that there is anything wrong with people with autism but like? 
It’s not the same thing at all

I didn't though? You made an assumption. My point simply was and still is: where is the line drawn and who draws the line? 

It are legit questions I have.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Humpney said:

Uhm that's not what they're saying?:gagasmile_smirk_lady_pink:

Thank you. I really wasn't at all. I just ask myself who draws the line and where the line is drawn...it are legit questions I wonder about.....

Like who gets to say one thing is okay and the other isn't? I REALLY wonder. Cause "society" ain't a decent answer I think. Since it woumd require society to be 100% supportive and you always have pro's and con's for these things. Therefore society can't drawn the line as not everyone's at the same level.

I hope I explained it good. Couldn't really find the good words.

23 hours ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

Why is the media and everyone else continuously dragging Sia? I don’t understand where its coming from. I like her music and her story. Maybe as of late shes disconnected or tone deaf? Not sure...:umsaywhat_adele_hmm_umm_thinking_confused_unsure:

As for the acting thing...I am kind of tired of people saying gays should only play gay roles or straights should only play straight roles etc. Its called ACTING and ACTING is meant for a person (actor) to get into another persons skin and hopefully portray them in the right light. This excludes race roles (i.e. a white person can’t play Dr. Martin Luther King or a Egyptian king etc). :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

If we are going to come for Maddie for playing an autistic character then we need to re-evaluate hollywoods beloved Leonardo Di Caprio character from Whats Eating Gilbert Grape and many more characters. 

Preach it, sis! :nysassy_miss_ny_ms_new_york_tiffany_pollard_cigarette_smoke_nod: Exactly what I came here to say 

• Like 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block