Danna Paola puts out sixth studio album 'K.O.' - releases new video 'Calla Tú' with a message for women's empowerment

dannacalla.jpg.e884b2c308c836ade753cb42d6ca0384.jpgdannako.png

After being trending topic on Twitter this week, Mexican singer Danna Paola released her sixth studio album Knockout (styled as K.O.) this Wednesday upon leaking online ahead of time. Following the trend of some artists of releasing most of the tracks before the album drops, Danna Paola included on the album six of the singles she released throughout 2020 plus five new songs.

Today she released the seventh music video off this album titled Calla Tú (which roughly translates to 'You Shut Up'). The video, which was directed by Danna herself, was shot in one take and shows her with a nude suit that displays several pejorative words that are commonly used to insult women, written in italic fonts. In the end, these same words are displayed on the screen in a way that spells the phrase "TE AMO" (I love you).

Calla Tú talks about ending an abusive relationship and she tells the man she's not waiting for him to change no more, she's fed up with his hypocrisy, and tells him "I won't keep quiet anymore, YOU shut up".

She released a statement through her social media that reads:

Music has such an important power to communicate, that it hugs my heart to know that I can speak up with a movement that is so necessary, through my lyrics and art. I wrote "CALLA TÚ" after all the ***ist experiences I lived. It's my way of draining and healing all the damage that I once suffered; the fact that I'm not giving away explicit details about my experiences (because I don't want to and I believe I'm in all my right as a woman of not having to relive a process that happened a long time ago and that took me lots of years to process and overcome), doesn't mean that I won't speak up. I'm doing it this way, and this song is exactly that, my way of creating awareness and reminding ourselves that is not ok to live in a violent environment of any kind, with ANYONE, until it's too late; don't keep quiet out of fear. You can get out of this, yes we can, the more united we are and share this message, I hope the less these violent situations will keep happening. Everyone has the right to love and be loved with respect, believe again in love is complicated, it was for me... and today I know that people with the ability to love in every sense DO exist, YOU DESERVE IT.

NO ME CALLO, CALLA TÚ

ErzqdGjXYAAPjfj?format=jpg&name=large

Her statement is relevant not only because of the message itself, but because over the years it's been speculated in the media that she suffered physical and psychological abuse from her ex-boyfriend, fellow Mexican actor Eleazar Gómez, who's 10 years older than her and with whom she had a relationship from 2010 to 2015. Eleazar Gómez is currently in jail waiting for a trial after he was accused by his latest girlfriend of physically abusing her a few months ago. After the news broke, several ex-girlfriends of Eleazar came out to speak about their own experiences of abuse with him, including one that had already spoken about it but was dismissed by the media as an attention-seeker at the time. The only one that had remained silent was precisely Danna Paola, until she released this song and statement, which fans and media alike took as a confirmation of the rumors that have been around for years.

You can hear the full album here:

• Love 3
  • Content Curators

I'm glad she's in a better place now.  

The album is okay the first half is a bit monotonous, it's not bad but it sounds like Maluma leftover tracks that she picked up and recorded.

"Amor Ordinario" is the best song along with "Justified" which is also good. The album cover is cute she looks gorgeous.

• Like 1

I wanna be there when you touch fire

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block